SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindslonadier

Help w/ layout of small, narrow kitchen/living/workspace in 1 bedroom

Lindsey Lonadier
5 years ago

Hi -

I just moved into an average (small for anywhere else) 1 bedroom in Brooklyn - however it's somewhere in between a larger studio/alcove studio and 1 bedroom than a true 1 bedroom due to the odd shape of the common area/non bedroom room.

The door opens into a long rectangular room which on the left side is fully kitchen (photos attached) and then immediately goes into double hinged doors which inside the small "closet" is a washer/dryer and there's a 1'-2' max wall nearby that corner before it turns into the bedroom door.

From the left side upon entering the front door - as you'll see it's completely OPEN and I need your help with ideas of how to convert this space into a mix of a entertaining (in the sense of people could comfortably sit and hang out for a few hours but not more than a few and nothing over the top with "entertaining" in that sense) and would like to also be able to find a way to use the space to place my large Mac desktop and use as a semi workspace as needed..

I was thinking of maybe a bar height table on the more industrial side that's sturdy and looks good and could use it both as that entertaining seating area for guests or eating breakfast in the morning etc. and also could house my desktop on top of it and utilize it as a workspace? Or somehow getting a smaller pub/bar height bistro table type of piece to place towards one area and section somehow the long rectangular room with some creative lovely ideas you all have I'm sure that are better than mine (my head has been spinning in the stressed way and unable to buy any furniture which is awful :( right..)

Oh and the apartment in that rectangular area has 2 large skylights I'll add the photos of as well since unfortunately that room has no windows (the bedroom has a HUGE bright sunny window almost taking up the entire wall though which is amazing)

I'll add more specifics with a floor plan of the room in a few hours (sorry rushing to get this done and post at least asap this morning for any help!!)

Let me know if you have any questions :) IKEA is semi nearby to me and I tend to like the nordic, modern, sleek but minimal design aspects in furniture but open to any ideas and trying anything :)

From the door entrance to the wall with the bedroom door is about 17'5" (the blank side) and its approximately 6'9" - 6'10" measuring from the appliances in the kitchen across to the other blank wall (being generous too with measurements to be safe)

As I said ill upload a more detailed floor plan or at least one of some kind asap today but please any help or advice on this i would MUCH appreciate!!!!!

Comment (1)