SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emho23

Please critique our kitchen design!

emho23
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here but I have been reading a ton and it has been so helpful so far. My husband and I recently purchased a 1914 bungalow in an estate sale and are updating the kitchen, which is currently down to the studs. I am writing to ask for advice/feedback about our proposed kitchen design from our kitchen designer.

We have a number of limitations since this is an old house and we don't want to do anything to the exterior. The exterior door (bottom right) and windows cannot be moved. There is no other logical place to put the fridge - it is located in a preexisting niche. We cannot do anything about the dummy cabinet at the bottom left - it is covering a pre-existing door that leads from the exterior to the basement below (old house weirdness); that door is the only basement egress and we don't want to get rid of it or get involved in foundation work. The ceiling is 84" in the area towards the bottom (there is a beam running across, starting from the bottom edge of the fridge niche), ~8'4" in the rest of the room. The house does not have gas and we are not planning a conversion at this stage; the range will be induction. The appliance dimensions in this plan are based on the appliances we already picked out (but have not taken delivery of). This plan is for Schrock semi-custom cabinets.

The door between kitchen and dining room (top center) is actually slightly further to the left than this preliminary plan shows, so the "L" at the top right is larger and there is space for one more cabinet between that door and the corner at the top right.

Preferences: I cook a lot and am left handed; my husband also cooks and is a righty. I would like the sink in front of a window and a range hood is a must have. The wall between the back door (bottom right) and the counters is something we want to have because we live in a cold climate and that wall will keep gusts of cold air from making the kitchen into a tundra. We have never had a microwave before so it's not a central item for us, so it's fine to shove it out of the way on a shelf.

I have never designed a kitchen before and as it turns out, I am really not good at space planning. My questions are:

1. Does this seem user friendly? Is there a way to improve the flow? I love to cook and this is my one bite at this apple, so feedback is very welcome.

2. During demo we uncovered a large cavity in the wall just to the right of where the fridge will be, starting at counter height (it's a weirdo space between the levels of the staircases). Would be nice to use the space for something, but nothing beyond some sort of appliance garage (which would only use part of the space) is coming to mind.

3. What size sink should we get? Planning on a single basin with a right-offset drain. Should we be trying to put the garbage in a roll out under the sink, or will it be OK not to have the garbage right next to the sink?

Thank you so much for any thoughts!

Comments (9)