SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim_hawko

PICS included - Layout for Shotgun Master Bathroom 6x17?

Kim HV
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I've attached photos and an Excel grid I've done of the bath layout as close to scale as possible with each grid representing 1 square foot. I know this is long, so thanks in advance for thoughts and advice.

Bought our house in early 2017 and knew master bathroom was an issue. The tops are actually wearing off of some of the tiles, most of the floor tiles are cracked, and the grout is actively falling out in chunks throughout the bathroom (shower, dry areas, walls, AND floor.)

We painted the walls, cabinets, and replaced the hardware in an effort to lighten the space, since the 90's "custom" cabinetry was a dark wood, but with the tile and grout crumbling away, we're facing the fact that we need to update the bathroom.

This update will include one or two sun tunnels to add natural light. Sun tunnel will probably go over where the tub currently is and potentially another in the middle of the bathroom, since our overhead light/vent combo is not in the center of the room.

The conundrum is the layout. This bathroom is a shotgun bathroom; it is LONG and skinny. 6' x 17'. We would keep the current configuration, but there's a few things we would like to address and simply don't know how because the space cannot be expanded. We can't borrow room from another location in the home and all of the longer walls are load-bearing. We have to use the current footprint.

I would love feedback/input from others on how to address such a long + narrow bathroom and how they might have handled it.

Things I'm trying to figure out:

1) If we kept the current configuration, we still have no sit-down space and no towel storage near the current shower location - current towel rack is several feet away from the shower entrance. Can't put storage on the wall next to vanity/shower because the doors open into that wall.

2) Keep or lose the tub? It's the only tub in the house, but we don't use it. I think I have used it maybe 4 times since we've lived here and hubs only once (and he didn't like it). We are on a septic and try to keep use to a minimum. We are planning to keep this house and probably never sell it; we are planning to have kids at some point, but could always get a small inflatable tub. If we keep a tub, I'd like to re-use the one we have, as it's a fairly nice jacuzzi tub and we can't really afford a new one on top of refreshing the entire bathroom

3) Ideally we would have two sinks and I would have a sit down area to do my makeup/hair. I do some streaming/YouTube stuff and would really like a get-ready area when I'm preparing to film. I used to have one at our old home and miss it a lot here. But with the layout of this master bathroom, I have no idea how we could have room to keep the drop-in tub with the shower and have a double vanity with makeup seating, because:

4) Hubs has expressed he'd like to keep the shower the same size since we'd like to add double shower heads and enjoy the space.

I'm at an utter loss for how to configure this layout. All advice is greatly appreciated.

View from the door

View from the tub

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations