SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quanghoc

Replace entry door from single with sideline to double

Hawk Phil
5 years ago

Attached is the picture of my current front entry door for a split level house. Over the year, it feels very "tight" although the door is either 34" or 36" width. The problem is when it swing opens, leaves only around 1 feet clearance to the stair/railing inside. I also thought that sideline is somewhat useless as it can't move, especially when moving large furniture in and out (not regular but DOES happen). I only "use" it when looking for packages outside.

I am thinking about replacing that single door with a double door and with a bonus of glass piece on top, either right on top (like below photo I got from the Internet):

.. or the glass window is a bit higher like so (with double door of course):

I came to the Home Improvement store and they said I have to use 32" width door, which makes it 64" width opening. The reason is that the measurement from wall to wall right now is only 69". That means I cannot fit double door with 36" width. There is no double door with 34" width that I can find (that is within reasonable cost).

My questions are:

1. Should I use black or white double door? My house has several places with black and white, although I would say more black such as countertop. I am OK with the metal railing now but I am open to update it as well while at it (if so, any idea?).

2. What do you think about changing from single to double in general? Is it a good idea or no in general?

Thanks.

Comments (6)