SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dw62797

All new doors, doorknobs & hinges - Need help deciding on finish.

D W
5 years ago

Hi! I am in the middle of a gut-remodel of my grandparents house in rural Michigan. My aesthetic will be updated farmhouse with a bit of rustic, traditional. They used to farm on that property MANY years ago, but it is now all woodland. I want a nod to the farm and outdoor life without screaming farmhouse/country/hunting lodge. I also hope to infuse a bit of a nod to our Scandinavian heritage. I'm thinking warm white (i.e. BM White Dove or SW Greek Villa ) for the trim, cabinets and doors, with a neutral paint palette on the walls (perhaps something like BM Balboa Mist or SW Agreeable Gray). The kitchen cabinet color matches SW Greek Villa. Will most likely choose stainless appliances.

For doorknobs and hinges what color scheme do you recommend? Black? ORB? Pewter? Antique Brass? I'm not a fan of super shiny...so I will choose brushed if I go with a metal. I like mixing my metals & finishes for a worn, lived-in, loved look. Also want a timeless feel rather than something trendy. Was originally thinking nickel for plumbing...but due to cost will likely go with chrome. Have not yet chosen cabinet hardware or lighting. I feel like those can come after door hardware...and I won't mind if they do or do not match. I greatly appreciate your thoughts on the combo of door hardware and cabinet hardware.

It's a small house, so cohesive is important in feel/vibe but I'm not a matchy-matchy girl. :-D I'll post a few pictures...but...the house is down to bare studs and plywood flooring, so I'm not sure they'll be much help. Water damage started this whole project, so starting from the ground up! Thanks for your advice!!!

The pic below has a "simulation" of possible floor color. This is main floor looking into kitchen area. The wall you see straight ahead has been removed to join the bedroom and kitchen, making it a larger gathering space.

This picture is from the kitchen, looking through the wall that's since been removed, into the new eating area (former bedroom). The indwo you see will be replaced with larger window.

Comments (19)