SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesslake

Need help deciding which way fridge door should open

jesslake
7 years ago

Hi, one last question for tonight! Thank you for your time. :)

Our new kitchen will have a side-by-side column fridge and freezer combo, 30" & 18" (I also have another freezer in the garage). I have only ever seen side by side combinations with both handles in the middle, so the fridge hinges on the right and the freezer hinges on the left. However, it occurred to me that in our kitchen, it would make much more sense to have the fridge hinge on the left. If you are facing the fridge, the entire kitchen as well as breakfast nook and family room are to your right. So if the fridge is hinged on the right, you then block off access/traffic to the entire rest of the room when the door is opened. This seems like it would be awkward and inconvenient, especially with a big tall 30" door. However would it be more strange to have both fridge and freezer hinge on the same side (left, with handles on right)? I can't imagine ever needing to open both at the same time so they really don't have to be like French doors, do they?

I know for sure that if I was buying a single door fridge with the freezer at the bottom or top, I would want it to be hinged on the left and handle on the right. Is that a good confirmation of my theory or are there other factors I should consider because they are columns? Will they not fit as well together, or need trim in between? They will also be panelled if it matters. Not certain what brand yet but probably Sub-Zero.

Thank you!

Comments (4)