eReader new fan

marielle

I never thought I would....but I did....buy an eReader and I am enjoying it a lot. I bought the latest Kobo Clara HD.

Do you have an eReader? How do you find it?

SaveComment42Like
Comments (42)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

I like my Kindle but don't always read on it. Sometimes real books, sometimes Kindle.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by marielle
Rose Pekelnicky

I love ebooks, especially in the winter. I live out in the country and it is so nice to just borrow an ebook from my library without leaving my house

3 Likes Save    
Alisande

Ditto Socks.

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I have kindle apps on all of my tablets, phones, computers etc. I have not read a real book in years. Same for my husband. I bought him several of his favorite authors on Kindle for Christmas.

So to answer the question. I love them.

1 Like Save    
susanwv

Me too, I use the Kindle app. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ It.

1 Like Save    
abbisgram

I love mine. I have the older Kindle keyboard style. I've had it probably 5 years. I bought it used, and loaded with books that were my genre. I like the convenience of it and it's easier for reading in bed.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur01

Depending on how fast a reader you are train yourself to use your arm not your wrist to go to the next page. If you read as fast as I do until I recognized and learned how my wrist was always sore. I have switched back to real books for a while as my kindle was bothering my eyes because of the brightness. I now know how to change it so another thing to learn.

2 Likes Save    
watchmelol

I have a Kindle Paperwhite. I prefer it to an all in one tablet. Easy on the eyes, no glare and I can read in the dark without needing a separate book light.

I always thought I would prefer real paper books but now I prefer my Kindle. I get too much eyestrain from real books even with my readers on. It takes me a lot longer to read a real book.

1 Like Save    
astrokath

I have a Kindle Paperwhite but gave up using it due to the lag in turning pages. I now read ebooks on my iPad (at home) or iPhone (when out). I still read mostly 'real' books or listen to audiobooks.

1 Like Save    
lisaam

I read lots of Kindle books. I like being able to borrow or buy and read immediately. I do find though that reading an ebook can be a different experience than reading a real book; more evanescent.

2 Likes Save    
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

Had to look it up and listen to the pronounciation, but "evanescent" is my new favorite word Thanks Llsaam.

1 Like Save    
aok27502

I have the Kindle app on my tablet, and mostly read that. But I do read paper books if one presents itself. Sometimes the library has a wait list on ebooks, but the paper book is on the shelf.

2 Likes Save    
fiveholetarget

I just got a new Kindle that is not an app. It is waterproof and has bluetooth. Will I be able to have it read a book to me if I did not purchase the book from Audible?

1 Like Save    
OklaMoni

I have an ipad mini. Prior to my last long bike tour I stopped at the library and let them help me download the program for checking out books. Thought I had it... but then, could not figure it out while in France. Much later on, while stuck in Romania, waiting for my flight, and nothing, absolutely NOTHING to do, I figured it out. Asked my daughter for a read list, and tried to download some/all of those titles. NOPE, none available. Drat. But had recommendations for others, from the list I tried, and finally got some books. Read 3 in two days. That's a record for me. But at home, I much prefer a real book.

Moni

1 Like Save    
msmeow

I read on my iPad almost exclusively, using the Overdrive app. I can check e-books out from the library with it whenever I want, and it keeps track of my progress across all my devices (I read on my android phone when I'm waiting in lines and such). It also remembers where I was if I have to return a library book and renew it later.

I have the Kindle app on my iPad but I don't care for it - it seems cumbersome and not user friendly compared to Overdrive.

I do have to remember after checking out books and downloading them, that I still have to go to the bookshelf and finish downloading them. I found that out when I was somewhere without wi-fi and I couldn't start a new book, even though it was on my bookshelf.

Donna

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

One thing to search for are free ebooks. Amazon, B&N, and other sites on line have them. Look before downloading to make certain that you are receiving the whole book not just a teaser section. You can tell the teasers by the smaller size.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by marielle
lulu bella

I love my kindle paperwhite. It's probably about 3 or 4 years old now. I do prefer to read on it. I do not buy books or kindle and pretty much use the library exclusively, so I am not always able to get the kindle version and therefore read lots of books as well.

What I love about the kindle is that it is so easy to have with me at all times in my bag, AND, that I never have an issue with older books and yellowing pages and small fonts.

I love that there is always adequate writing.

I do not read much on my tablet or phone.

3 Likes Save    
carolyn_ky

I have a Paperwhite, too, a gift from my daughter. I only use it for travel, though, unless--horrors--I run out of books to read. I much prefer a real book.

1 Like Save    
katlan

I have a stack of books to get to. I do read on my kindle sometimes.

juneroses, I missed lisaam's post, so when you said the word evenesent it made me think of the group "Evanescence", a group my daughter liked in high school lol.

1 Like Save    
Terri_PacNW

I read on my old ipad.. With mostly Kindle app. I also have it on my phone so I can read anywhere.

I also borrow ebooks from the library, but not as often. I actually read/look at magazines more on my library app.

I also give Amazon money every month for kindle unlimited. Some months its worth it, others not so.. But I enjoy the options.

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I get daily emails from several free ebooks lists. Amazon has one, book bub, book gorilla. Lots of good cheap and free choices.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by marielle
provogal

I love my Kindle Paperwhite. I used to cart down 5 lbs of books each trip to our condo in the Turks and Caicos where we go back and forth all winter. Now, I can download as much as I want. For gifts I always request Amazon gift cards. If I’m not sure about a book, I order a free sample. Also, I get daily cheap suggestions on Bookbub.

2 Likes Save    
Rosefolly

I do enjoy an e-reader for travel, but when I am at home, I definitely refer real books. I have the Kindle app on my phone and my iPad.

There are books I bought for my iPad that I liked so much I later bought them again in print. I like hardcover when available.

1 Like Save    
bigdogstwo

Books for me. I have several thousand in the house waiting to be read. Some may say that is excessive, I prefer to think of it as planning ahead.

I do have the overdrive app and use it to read books while I am on the treadmill.

And I have an original kindle fire around here someplace, but I am not sure where I put it.

PAM

2 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

I use a Kindle Fire exclusively. I have only kept a few books that are very favorites and one collection. I donated the rest. After years of the Kindle it still feels magical to have thousands and thousands of books at my fingertips. I set my pages to scroll so I don't have to tap the screen anymore.

I also learned that my magnetic Kindle case will de-activate hotel keys if they are in the same bag.

1 Like Save    
FlamingO in AR

I have a Sony PRS T1. I use it strictly with loans from the library. It’s great. Lightweight.

1 Like Save    
salonva

I too prefer my kindle paper white to reading an actual book. I love the lighting and font adjustment. I still read plenty of books, but sometimes if the pages have yellowed or the font is small, it's a turn off. I use the library just about exclusively and an occasional freebie via amazon or project gutenberg or some promotion. I also love just checking it out from the library while I sit on my butt and haven't left the house.

I am a major fan of the paper white.

The only thing I don't like, is that if you purchase a kindle book , at least to my understanding you really cannot share it as you could with a physical book book.

(I know I can share with DH as we have a shared library but I mean with a casual friend. If I am wrong please enlighten me? I think I have only purchased 2 books in the several years I have had the kindle so it's not a big issue but I am curious)

1 Like Save    
amylou321

SO bought me the very first kindle fire that came out. I wasn't really excited about it at first because I liked real books. I read a lot at work. I thought it was so thoughtful of him and gave it a go. I haven't picked up a real book since then. I love how I can prop it up on my desk,lean back and read without having to hold it. I dont have to worry about bookmarks anymore. And if i get tired of reading,i can switch over to a video or the internet. I'm on my third one. Not because the others stopped working. I wanted the bigger one to watch movies on. I use the smaller ones to read on. Love my kindles.

And as an added bonus, there are not stacks and stacks of books to sort through if I want to reread a favorite,or to get rid of. They are all digital and o so convenient.

Salonva you can absolutely share an ebook with someone. (On Amazon anyway) the catch it once you share it they only have it to read for a certain amount of time. I have done this many times.

2 Likes Save    
amylou321

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200549320

Here's how to lend an ebook from Amazon. You can lend it for 14 days.

2 Likes Save    
chessey35

I have a paperwhite, an older kindle and the kindle app on my tablet. The paperwhite is great for traveling as you can read it in any kind of light and the tablet gives me access to e-books from a cloud library from my library No more filling luggage with a # of books because heaven forbid you run out of books on a longer trip. I do read real books also but have drifted towards the ebooks, mainly because I can enlarge the print if it's small.

1 Like Save    
norar_il

I love books and my kindle. I have the paperwhite and, from our library at least, I cannot borrow ebooks with the paperwhite, so I get real books from the library. They are stacked beside my chair downstairs and the kindle is by my bed upstairs.

My 7 year old granddaughter said she always wanted a kindle, so this fall I bought the new paperwhite for myself (mainly for the audible/Bluetooth feature which I have not used yet) and passed my old one to the grands. She loves it and reads on it everyday. Her 9 year old brother says he never knows where it is and his sister hogs it even though I've loaded several books for him on it. I'm just thrilled I have little readers in the family.

1 Like Save    
salonva

Wow thank you Amylou for the link about sharing kindle books! Live and learn.

2 Likes Save    
chisue

I find the e-readers heavy, and tire of swiping (I read fast.) I sometimes need to 'go back' in a complicated story. DH and I use our library, which now prints a note on the checkout receipt, stating how much money you've saved by not buying the books you're reading.

The last receipt for Paragon Hotel and Restoration Heights says we saved $53 on those, and that we've saved $185 so far this year. The grand total since they began this messaging: $2,023.94. Quite a return on our charitable 'investment' of $200 a year!

We also get DVD's from our library to bolster what we stream from Amazon and record from Masterpiece. We're currently looking for the last season of he French detective series "Spriral". We're finishing Doc Martin and Victoria...but have two more seasons of House we can always dip into.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

I love my Kindle app! I was very slow to switch over but now I'll never go back.

1 Like Save    
vee_new

Nice to see so many people using 'alternative' reading methods, 'though I have yet to be converted from paper and ink.

Perhaps more of you would consider listing some of your book choices here at RP and add to the wide variety of discussions that often follow-on . . . even if not always 'book related'.

2 Likes Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Get free ebooks from BookBub.

1 Like Save     Thanked by marielle
netla

I have a Kindle 4 that I got back in circa 2012 and have used it a lot. It has buttons instead of a touch screen, which can be a bother, because the forward buttons have become very sensitive and often skip over 2-3 pages when I'm turning pages. A couple of days ago a black dot appeared in the centre of the screen, so I think it may be time to buy another eReader. I'm planning to look into it on my upcoming trip the the USA. I've started researching and reading reviews, and I intend to read this discussion more thoroughly to see what you all have to say about your respective models, although I will probably end up with a Kindle Paperwhite, because not only does it have reading lights, but it is waterproof and I can listen to audiobooks on it.

I mostly use it to read free books, e.g. downloaded from Project Gutenberg, and samples and freebies from Amazon. Right now, I am going through the list of all the books that are coming into the public domain this year (a lot!) and deciding which ones to download.

I use it mainly for reading while I eat, because there is no danger of getting food stains on any pages; to read in bed because it's lighter than most books; and especially when I'm travelling. It used to be that I would bring at least three books on every trip I took, and books are relatively heavy for their size, but with the Kindle I can take around 800 books with me (I still take one paper book on every trip, just in case I run out of battery power). It means I can reserve space in my bag for any books I might buy while travelling.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

Take a look at Amazon's list of free books. There are thousands and many are classics.

2 Likes Save    
siobhan_1

This thread made me realise that I am doing most of my reading on my iPad or phone! I hadn’t thought about it.

2 Likes Save    
joann_fl

I use it occasionally but would much rather have a real book

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

I like how it's easy to curl up under the covers and have just one hand poking out to hold the Kindle and turn the page. But it's easy to forget the author and book title I'm reading on, since I never see them after getting the book started.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw

I have a Kindle DX. It has the largest screen they made (51/2 by 8) They don't make them any more. I love the size and was before touch screen. The battery lasts for ever but you have to use a separate light but of course like any Kindle you can easily read outside. I have had it for ten years. DH recently got me a used backup one for Xmas because I love mine so much. I like the big screen and click to page. I have always liked being able to get books that are out of print. I read old obscure stuff that no one wants to read by authors no one, even me sometimes, have ever heard of. Lots of free stuff. I actually prefer a real book but you cant usually get the stuff I read that way. The only fly in my ointment is that it is 3G and how much longer is that going to be supported. I would have to load through my computer and that would be aggravating.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by marielle

Related Stories

Bedrooms Novel Ways With Bedroom Books
Reading and relaxing go hand in hand. See how designers are incorporating mini and all-out libraries in the bedroom
Full Story
Dens and Libraries 'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
Life Is Your Bedroom Designed for a Good Night’s Sleep?
Find out how the right nightstands, bedding, rugs, TV and storage can help you get more restful slumber
Full Story
Bedrooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Master Bedroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make your bedroom a serene dream with easy moves that won’t give your bank account nightmares
Full Story
Home Tech How to Get That Built-in Media Wall You Really Want
New project for a new year: Tame clutter and get a more stylish display with a media unit designed to fit your space just right
Full Story
Half Baths Powder Room Essentials to Keep Guests Happy
Set out these bathroom necessities (hello, hand towels) to make your company comfortable and your parties run smoothly
Full Story
Most Popular 10 Design Moves From Tricked-Out Bathrooms
Cool splurges: Get ideas for a bathroom upgrade from these clever bathroom cabinet additions
Full Story
Most Popular Set the Mood: 5 Colors for a Calming Bedroom
Stressed? Can't sleep? Consider one of these cool, soothing hues for your walls
Full Story
Home Tech The Future of Home Automation: Cheap, Wearable and Mobile!
Look for smart watches and glasses that can control your smart-phone apps, which in turn automate your home equipment
Full Story
Faber Custom Builders specializes in quality custom construction with a personal level of detail and... Read More