SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20096495

It's Christmas Eve in my house

User
5 years ago

My son met his girlfriend six years ago. Together they have the most adorable little boy now. Her parents divorced when she was about 2, so the major holidays were always one year at moms, the next at dads. That is until she met my son.

Since they have been together, sharing the holidays has been a little tougher for her. She wants to make everyone happy. Last year, her dad insisted that she spend this year at his acreage as he hasn't had her all to himself (well, with her sister and his wife) since she met my son, for the whole day. She was so worried we would be mad that it ruins our day with our son.

I work retail. I have always hated that ANY store or restaurant is open on Christmas Day even though we do not celebrate Christmas in the biblical way. We are all about Santa and Rudolf and the warm fuzzy cozy feeling of family. The gift sharing is just the icing on the cake for us. But the chain I work for is open on Christmas Day and Christmas Day just happens to be on a Tuesday this year.

My old store manager automatically worked Christmas Day as he and his now ex, never really did much that day anyway. We have a new manager this year and we knew she refuses to work Christmas Day, so this made my plan a little easier:

She gets the day off with her husband and daughter. The next in line person would have had to work. Nope, not if my plan works. The next in line would have had to work. Nope. I offered to work so all three could spend the day with their children and grandchildren. BUT: I asked for Christmas Eve off so I could have one day to put my feet up. ;) My plan worked. So now I have 3 days off, and go back Christmas Day. I'm curious to see who shops on Christmas Day. It actually makes me really sad that people do. It ruins the day for the employees and their families. Same with those who work in restaurants and movie theaters on Christmas Day. They aren't in emergency services so it bothers me that $$$ plays a bigger importance to CEO's than family does.

Anyways, tonight the family is coming over for our traditional finger food night and will be back for gift giving and dinner tomorrow. My grandson is so excited that Santa is coming early to his Oma's house this year. LOL

Comments (10)