SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minflick

M. Cecille Brunner and the eves of my house

minflick
10 years ago

Madam Cecille Brunner has reached beyond the lower edge of the windows, and is passing the eves and gutter of the front of the house. Because she's tied to the trellis wires along the bottom of the windows, she's supported up to that level, but then sways freely in front of the windows, and leans out gradually from the level of the windows to up over the edge of the roof. Some canes are more vertical, and are getting trapped up under the eves, and I need a way to bring them out and have them stay out! Is there some way for me to stabilize the canes (which are thorny as stink) and prevent them from swaying (now) and whipping themselves to death (later on in winter weather)?? Could I, say, put eyebolts in the joists at the eves, and loop tie downs around the canes and attach to the eye bolts? Something better? I don't want the windows blocked, so I'm trimming those particular laterals short. The ones not in front of the window can grow long, they just need to not lean out and snag me as I work in front of that rose nor do I want them snagging the lilies and other things in front of the bush. They've shredded one beautiful white lily flower.....

ALL these long things are actually laterals, not canes from the ground or down low from other canes. These all start at 3 to 4 feet up the wall, and are either new laterals or regrowth from after the Spring flush which I trimmed. They don't want to go sideways at all, the few I've bent down to avoid the window are bending back to vertical...

Melinda

Comments (7)