SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schaffk

Kitchen remodel WITHOUT painting cabinets

schaffk
5 years ago
Wanting to update countertops, backsplash, and appliances. Do not want to paint the maple cabinets and really don’t want to replace wood floor. Looking for ideas.....

Comments (49)

• K R
    5 years ago
    First of all, I spy an adorable shih tzu. I have one myself, and she’s the best! I think you could do a lot by painting the walls, changing the counters and appliances. Stainless appliances would make a huge difference. The cabinets appear to be in good shape.
  • K R
    5 years ago
    I take it back, I love the wall color. I’d do a white quartz, and also change the sink to stainless as well. You have a good base to work with.
  • Related Discussions

Ideas on how to update kitchen without painting cabinets?

Q

Comments (39)
    The window film is a static film and is completely removable. You could buy it this afternoon have it up by this evening and if you decided you did not like it, you could take it down it any point in time. It's the least of your worries. The island is just too small for the space and that's what looks odd and disproportionate. The very visible trash bin is just inappropriate for such a beautiful kitchen. Each of the other elements is quite pretty and I don't think I would mess with them. Since you're planning on redoing the countertop I would add onto the island (and have the add on portion include an enclosed the trash bin and a recycling bin too if you have that in your area). I am not sure why you are saying that the stove is too close to the refrigerator. They look pretty distant to me. What is the issue with their locations when you say "close"? If you are going to move that stove, I recommend that you post a layout of your floor plan and let some of the design mavens on the site offer their suggestions as to how they would rearrange the kitchen. If you start moving the cabinets around, will you have to redo the floor around them or was everything placed on top of the existing floor?
    ...See More

Improve kitchen without remodeling-need idea help!

Q

Comments (13)
    Apparently we are a little short on flooring, so we are thinking about getting a different color to break up the monotony. Do you all think its possible go a little darker on the kitchen floor than the oak laminate that is the next room? Or should we just get the same color? When we did the rest of the house we went with a mid grade flooring, now Im at a point where I dont mind spending more money for better flooring. Seems like all floors being the same color is a bit much, but what do I know! Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.
    ...See More

Update my kitchen without painting oak cabinets

Q

Comments (18)
    grapefruit1_ar The countertop actually has specks of color in it but the color is sandstone. The tile floor is what I do not think will go with gray. I have been looking at BM Accessible Beige but do not want to much beige in the kitchen. I did look at some sage greens but just not sure. Thank you for your suggestion
    ...See More

Updating kitchen without painting oak cabinets

Q

Comments (1)
    Duplicate. Repeating the same post still without pictures isn’t how this is done. Add pictures to your first post, here. Pictures are required. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5897514/update-my-kitchen-without-painting-oak-cabinets#n=3
    ...See More
  • schaffk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Subway tile gray grout??
  • K R
    5 years ago
    Changing the hardware to brushed nickel would also make a huge difference.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

what do you like? granite, quartz, marble,? what colors?

I would advise you to take a walk through some stone yards and look at all of the diff slabs. (take a cab door with you).

I'd leave your butcher block island, but think about painting the white to a nice sage green or navy or even black. (if you plan on upgrading appliances. if keeping white, then the white island is fine)

as for the backsplash, you'll have to wait until you decide on a countertop and get it installed. There's more out there than white subway tile.

what looks great w/your color maple cabs, is a pale blue or french blue tile and a marble-look quartz (or real marble). beautiful color combo w/your floors and cabinets.

This is what I would get for your kitchen. (you'd prob have to change out your hardware)

or a blue glass tile and a white quartz

other similar cab colors and combos

• grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

I totally agree with mimimommy. I love your kitchen and the white appliances.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

the kitchen is cute, but the formica and the bland square tiles needs to go.

Kitchen will be 10X better with a few upgrades. and btw, for appliances, craigslist has some great deals on new pieces, or slightly used. if you're looking to cut corners, I'd start there.

new kitchen faucet, Amazon or eFaucets.

I'd personally get rid of that island because it really doesn't go w/the cabinets.

if you want a little country, then do a vintage type of island or get a different base.

The overhang on your island looks odd w/o any stools. something like this one would look better

or, do something the same size, but like this (and you can reuse your butcher block)

or find something that matches your door style and if keeping the overhang, get a few stools.

if you have enough room, you could do a thinner island and have stools on one side

ideas for a SS farmhouse sink. (shoot for a 14 or 16 gauge on SS. less noise)

• lindahambleton
    5 years ago

Those blue tiles are beautiful ! Is her microwave too close to the cook top ?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

30" is usually the minimum for combustable materials (wood vent hoods, etc)

Over the range microwaves require a minimum 66" mounting height from floor to top of the micro, which leave 15-18" between the bottom and the top of the stove.

if you get a new island, get one where you can have a microwave, and replace the OTR micro to a regular vent hood.

these would work. (and I love the black stainless steel! black and maple look great together)

or if keeping micro, try something that's as flush as you can get

No handles that protrude like your white one.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

I had the 4x4 square tiles and planned to change them because I thought they were kind of bland. Then, they kind of grew on me (mine were circa 1968/made in the USA). I like subway tile, but really everybody has them too. I found the number one best thing we did in our kitchen was to change all the outlets and switches and cover plates. Switched it all to white (from almond). Used the rocker-type switches. If I were doing it again, I'd go with the even nicer plates that don't have screws in them (I didn't know about them until quite a while afterwards).

If the laminate is in good condition, why take it out? I think it looks great, and not saying someone shouldn't switch, but really, it looks clean, neat, functional. I just have better things to do with my money than get a new counter that is "in." Don't get me wrong, I have thought about it in a few homes and honestly, I just don't care. That stuff is pretty darned great!

As to appliances, my rule is if it doesn't have a computer in it somewhere, lucky you! I had a nice refrigerator I moved 1500 miles when it was 2 years old. Was still working 16 years later when I sold my home. Wish I had kept it!

I do agree with Beth the island doesn't quite go. I would probably paint that, and possibly even stain the top a darker color and finish with WaterLox (or whatever) just to add some color or contrast. You could try KraftMaid red on the island cabinet... it would add some color that I really think you need.

Sorry schaffk :) Not trying to say you shouldn't change your kitchen if you want to... just saying I really like it the way it is !! :) Would I change a few things, yes! Would I change a lot, no!

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I totally agree with mimimomy. I'm not sure what needs to be remodeled here. Perhaps the eating area? I'm not a fan of words on walls but if you like them, go for it! Do you need a pendant above the table? The cabinets are beautiful. I might prefer different hardware or a different backsplash but really, is anything offensive or a rush to be changed? No. :) I don't mind white appliances either. Perhaps I'm not crazy about the island. Try a different rug? I mean, if you want a change. The wall colour is fine but if you're craving a change, that would be simpler than changing the lighting. Enjoy your kitchen and yes, don't paint the beautiful cabinets! :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

The OP is the one who asked about new countertops, new backsplash and new appliances. She wants the change. maybe she's tired of the formica? I'm not trying to change her mind on that, just pointing out things she asked for, and inputting a little extra info regarding the island.

I can relate to OP here,,,I have a fine looking kitchen. granite, wood cabs, stone splash, etc., but I'm sick of it. after 15 years, I'm sick of the same old look. I want to change it. I don't have to, just like OP prob doesn't 'have' to, I just want a change.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

You're absolutely right, Beth. OP did ask for suggestions regarding those elements and you provided excellent ones, as usual.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Hi Beth, I totally understand. You are offering some great ideas to the OP! I love your ideas, sorry if that wasn't conveyed properly.

And I too can relate to the OP, I like to change things as well. I have just offered some of the benefits of making minimal changes... as well as conveying that hey, I really like your kitchen :) Oh, and that new appliances are ughhhh!

I did replace a white ollllllddddddddddd whirlpool dishwasher with a Fisher Paykel dishdrawer (stainless)... I think the stainless was cheaper than the white one. The old one (came with the house) was probably 20 years old and didn't clean the dishes so much as swish water around and make a lot of noise. I also changed out a double bowl swanstone (I think) sink (probably nice at one time but stains that just kept coming back) with a gorgeous Franke Granite sink (identical cutout, how handy... the "easy in") and added my favorite brushed nickel Moen Annabelle faucet.

I did find for my kitchen that was older, and in a home that I didn't expect to live in forever, that significant improvement was made by these changes and through really minor changes (for instance, the white outlets and switches on white tile, instead of almond-- they were perfectly functional but kind of drove me nuts!)

I can't wait to see how your kitchen turns out, as well as the OP's.

Weird thing is, I kinda like white square tile now. That means it should be back in at any moment!

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    Beth H. has done it again....suggestions so gorgeous it makes me want to remodel!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

mimi,,,I do too, but it has to be the right looking squares. look at the kitchen pic I posted w/the wood cabs and blue tile splash w/the marble. has to look like that! or these

this color would be perfect w/your cabs and marble quartz or white quartz

this is how the 4x4 white tiles need to be now. (her stacked is way dated)

this is more of the minimal, Scandi design.

But, I do like the CleTiles, 4x4 Zellige in all of their colors. I would offset these like above.

(tilebar Montauk in Gin, above, Cle' , below)
    this blue would be beautiful w/her cabs

For the little eat in area, I'd totally fix up that spot and do some built-ins, a pendant, some cushions,,etc

• schaffk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I love the idea of built ins in the eating area. I would really like a new island but can’t seem to find anything that stands out??♀️
    As for the hardware handles they were nickel and smaller when we moved in but I wanted more of a farmhouse feel so I went with the chunkier rubbed bronze.
    I’m not replacing appliances until they need to be because I agree replacing perfectly fine working appliances is silly.
    I was thinking of doing a whiteish Quartz stone with white subway and gray grout. Just because it’s very traditional and we have a very traditional craftsman house.
    As for painting cabinets I go back and forth but I’ve come to the decision that I shouldn’t paint them. All the trim and doors and built ins are white so having some wood in the kitchen is okay and adds some warmth. I do love white kitchens but sometimes if not done right can look cheap
  • schaffk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Beth great suggestions!!! I hadn’t thought of blueish backsplash?? If I did a blue glass tile and white Quartz what paint color would you paint the walls??

Any more suggestions on islands??
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

Re: the island, you could also go with a stainless cart with locking wheels, or just stainless legs. Will work with the stainless appliances you plan to buy and will also make the kitchen a bit more sophisticated. Something like this, perhaps:

Turn of the Century Remodel · More Info

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

My kitchen is not maple, but i refreshed with new countertops, backsplash, apron front sink and under cabinet lighting.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854029

The sink is a "short apron" Kohler Whitehaven which can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet. it is a little pricey, but like you I had a working kitchen so saved up for a few more months to afford the sink. The sink and the under cabinet lighting are the most functional changes I made.

A few years previous to those changes I changed my hood for a wood hood with vent insert - bought an unfinished hood and stained it to match the cabinets. I have white appliances too and at the time I could not find a white hood I liked, but since then I have seen a few. I do think a vent hood and under cabinet lighting would pretty up the kitchen nicely, though the hood could wait. You might consider removing the corner appliance garage as it looks like it impinges on your work area.

I also have a wood kitchens idea book with both new and older, refreshed kitchens to get ideas from:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I love your kitchen........everything except the wood top on the island that is floating in the air. I think it's about perfect. It just needs some contrast. The paint on the walls is great. If I were forced to change it I might do a darker gray.

Here is some framed prints to zush it up and a replacement island that might be considered a feature piece.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

I think your kitchen looks really nice with everything you have. I dont however like the paint. The paint is in the right color category for your floors and cabinets, but, it appears, at least on my monitor, that it has a slightly muddy look to it. I would like to see a more lighter, cleaner,clearer, brighter looking paint in the blue, green or aqua tones. For myself, it would be the blue tones or the aqua tones, since I really do not like green. Thats about all I would do to your kitchen. Very nice space. I also think your kitchen lacks a bit in personality. Some bright nice window treatments, particularly in your dining area would be very nice too. Something colorful on the counters.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

I agree with Cat about the paint color. Something aqua. Or white with aqua accents. What is bothering me about the kitchen is the lack of color. Technically OK but lacks an ounce of cheer. The gray paint is the downer.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

schaffk, I posted a few island options. You could do a vintage, farmhouse-like table, or make up something new w/base cabinets and trim work, paint,, Just depends what you want.

would a island like this fit if you did stools on the one side? (if you don't need them, then don't do it) But notice on the end how you have extra storage. A island like this can be easily made, believe it or not.

As for the blue tile, I like that the best w/your wood cabinets. white subway tile and white quartz is just so so overdone, I could scream. I swear, 20 years from now people buying these homes are going to be asking, "didn't anyone like color back then?"

With the blue, you could do the white, marble-look, grays, creams, blacks, countertops.

As for paint color, a soft gray, or cream or blue/gray, whites, blue/green, tan,,,,multitude of wall colors.

But I really like that color blue w/your cabs. If you like the look of your white, then do the white countertops and a white island. you'll have your appliances too. otherwise, you're going to have white everything and that's just too much!

Even if you're not partial to the blue tile, you could do a sage, or sage/gray color. Either works well w/the craftsman decor.

here is a craftsman kitchen w/quartz (oak cabs but similar tone) and a grayish/green tile

another one w/more of a sage/gray quartz countertop.

For example, look at this pale blue/green ceramic tile next to the Halcyon Green color. You could paint your island in this shade and do this color backsplash w/your white or marble quartz countertop. beautiful together

Have you thought about putting in some glass in a few of your uppers? can be seeded or frosted, or the clear.

and just to show you a two-tone cabinet idea. the wall color is a sage/blue tone and works nicely w/the warm wood.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Love that sage green!

• schaffk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    My intention was to keep everything neutral because sometimes color scares me. I get sick of it quickly. I do kind of like muted colors because I don’t like bright.
  • schaffk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here’s my dining room for reference about colors...
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

you have color. they're just on the neutral side. I'm not proposing you do bright purple or red! just a soft blue or sagey green or gray.This is much like your neutral tones. it's a pale green/gray tile.

But if you think you'll get tired of it, then do the white. (you won't get tired of white subway tiles?)

backsplash is easy to change out yourself down the road if you tire of a blue or green palette.

you could always do cream colored tile and warmer countertop.

or, if you like the white, something a bit more handmade looking like these weathered white Zellige tiles (these aren't that expensive either) they come in diff sizes/shapes

• schaffk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    If I went with mostly white should I do more of a color on walls or island??
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

both. pick a color you like for the island, do the walls in a similar or complimentary shade.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I wouldn't paint those cabinets either. I might paint everything else, though. A new quartz counter would be an instant update.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

grover, any way you could input the blue tile (or a similar color tile) from this pic?

or this one? I just noticed they had this color in a subway tile. beautiful blue color.

https://tilebar.com/byzantine-alice-blue-ceramic-tile.html

and they have this blue too. Bayou Sky.

https://tilebar.com/bayou-sky-3x12-ceramic-tile.html

BTW schafft, you can order 5 samples for $5 at tilebar.com.

try a few of the blue ones, or maybe this color, and some of the white tiles

Manchester Dew in the elongated hex is also nice (comes in subway as well)

https://tilebar.com/manchester-hexagon-dew-4x8-ceramic-tile.html

and if you want to see how a gray would work w/your cabs. The countertop looks like River White granite

a soft blue glass tile

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I can make everything blue that you want, Beth. Just don't make me install a new counter. I'm not really a fabricator; I only play one on TV.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

bwahhhhhh!

• schaffk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Groveraxle the first one is beautiful!! I love the dark island and Quartz. Is that cambria? Beautiful!!
    Grover and Beth- so just paint the walls a light beige or greige??
  • auntthelma
    5 years ago

Take a look at Cambria Windermere. Waves of copper and charcoal on a neutral background. Looks beautiful with maple.

• javiwa
    5 years ago

Beth: Sorry if I missed this, but where do these tiles come from -- and name, please?

Our kitchen sits w/o a backsplash, the original 4x4 white tile removed. I may reconsider returning to 4x4, but staggered as you've shown. TIA!

(I'm actually in L.A. for the holidays -- brother and DSIL live in Diamond Bar!)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Schaffk, I don't know what countertop I put in your kitchen. I asked google for quartz and this is the one I chose. Could be Cambria. Choose your counter stone first because that will drive all your other choices. I'd even install it, then choose backsplash and paint.

BTW, if you're changing the counter, might as well change out the sink and faucet at the same time.

• venetta73
    5 years ago

Just to confirm that the gray island that groveaxle showed you with your maple cabinets works amazing in real life. This is what we did in my maple kitchen and we love it (our floor is 1 inch white hex mosaic with a black border, but it will work great with your floor too). If it matters, we have San Gabriel black granite throughout the kitchen (island and perimeter), but it will work equally great with a light colored countertop.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

javiwa,,,i wonder if I'm neighbors with them?! lol. I'm in the south part,,,Old Brea Canyon rd area.

The tiles are from tilebar.com Roman Brisk Blue. they come in other sizes too.

• javiwa
    5 years ago

Thanks, Beth. Our original BS were stacked 4" white tiles, and I was trying to move myself out of the 20th century. But it might be easiest to return to the 4" dimension, but stagger the tiles. I'm looking for something in white (to match my Macaubus White tops, so nothing too bright). I'd seen so many references to tilebar.com, but never cruised their site: flat fee shipping??!! How did I miss that?

Brother lives near Summitridge & Grand -- couldn't be far, but I don't know the area horribly well. He always makes the 25-minute trek east on the 60 to visit ME. :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

he's up in the north part of the city. about 4 miles or so from me. I've been here since 86. you must be in the IE? Rancho? somewhere near there? lol

check tilebar and take advantage of the 5 samples for $5. Look at the Montauk line. they have 4x4's too.

https://tilebar.com/montauk-sky-4x4-ceramic-wall-tile.html

Also look at Winchester Tiles. they have those 4x4 tiles that look great in the staggered layout. Here they are in pink

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

I think Beth has given you some really lovely ideas. Both the French blue and the sage green would be smashing. And help you flow into the colors that are starting to become more popular.

If you want things to be slightly vintage, think about bubble glass for the cabinet doors:

And an island that has some details like beadboard, corbels, etc.

• javiwa
    5 years ago

(oops...west; he's gotta travel west to Monterey Park-area) . TY!

• PRO
    Cambria
    5 years ago

Hello schaffk, to visualize your kitchen we recommend taking advantage of the Cambria AR app. In your space we suggest taking a look at Brittanicca Warm, Torquay, Swanbridge, and Ella. Hope this helps!

• schaffk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Beth another quick question... what about painting the walls more of a sage green like escape gray from sherwin Williams and doing a whitish countertop and backsplash??
  • schaffk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks so much Cambria for commenting!!! The countertops you suggested are a few on my list for possibilities!! Gorgeous
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Escape gray: