SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richfield95

Ideas on how to update kitchen without painting cabinets?

richfield95
7 years ago

I love the look of painted cabinets, especially some gray/taupe ones I've seen recently with brass hardware. However, we painted our bath cabinets and i don't feel like going through that on a larger scale at this time. (Although I've thought about putting painted poster board in the back of the glass front cabinets to lighten up the cabinets without the commitment of paining them)

Id like to swap out our hardware (black or bronze), lights, backsplash and counter. But I'm not sure what to do with the counter to bring it more up to date. Dark? Light? Solid? Pattern?

Our appliances are are white and planning on staying, we're not fans of stainless steel. (We work in food plants and see SS all day, don't need it at home too!)

Ive removed the valance because it just didn't work once I saw it in pictures!

Comments (39)

• quesera1970
    7 years ago

what materials are your counters now? What look are you going for? The cabs seem to be in good shape and fairly neutral. But you have a lot of wood tones in the space so I would avoid more in that color palette. I would seek some contrast with your counters and backsplash--depending on your taste, I could see a darker counter (soapstone? honed granite? gray quartz?) and a lighter more modern backsplash (a soft crackle subway tile). Anything in the blues and green families will also work nicely, if you are so inclined. can you put lighting in the cabinets ? I would select hardware once you've chosen the rest. I could also see painting the island dark gray or smoky navy.... also, is there a reason your island is so small compared to your kitchen? Would you consider adding onto it? I ask because we have a kitchen that has a very similar, somewhat blocky and uncentered/too small island. I am going to move/extend it!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I'd paint those cabinets even if it takes 6 months to do so - white or light gray. Then either soapstone (if you prefer dark) or white countertops. It's a nice kitchen just need to freshen it up.

• Related Discussions

Flooring with honey oak cabinets! Updating without painting

Q

Comments (11)
    Have you looked at LVT tiles and wood look planks? I really think you coukd do wood look BUT there needs to be some contrast with your cabs. The fact that everything is the same shade is an issue to my eye. There are so many LVT options, and they will not raise the flooring height from that of the existing flooring.
    ...See More

Updating Oak Kitchen without painting

Q

Comments (19)
    I have a refreshed oak kitchen with a small moveable island. My kitchen is a little vintage style. https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042 https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854029 https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854052 I bought my island about 6 years ago from a local Amish furniture store. I originally had an inexpensive butcher block on it but changed that when I did the counters. While there are 3 stools at the island, really only 2 adults could sit there comfortably. I gave up the table space for the island, but my dining room is a step away and is not formal - flows with the kitchen and that is where we eat meals. I have hopes of widening the doorway between dining and kitchen just a bit. I want to keep two separate rooms, but the location of the fridge creates a traffic jam when getting dinner on the table. I love your large window! Here is my wood kitchens idea book with both new and older, refreshed kitchens. Might give you some thoughts: https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens If you are thinking of changing the counters, do not do a backsplash. Backsplash comes last. You have a pretty and functioning kitchen now so take your time. I found the sink I liked was much more than I had budgeted, so I put off my refresh while I saved up. A slide in range is more expensive then a regular one - I too looked at that and decided I wanted the money for other things - like the sink. Also, with a slide in you will need a heat/fire proof wall protector - usually a piece of stainless steel that goes behind the range and is easy to clean. Without the back part of the range going up, the backsplash area will get much dirtier and need to be easily cleaned. Tile alone does not always qualify as heat / fire proof because it can transfer heat to the wood studs behind. Do some research on this to decide if you really want to go that route.
    ...See More

Updating kitchen without painting oak cabinets

Q

Comments (1)
    Duplicate. Repeating the same post still without pictures isn’t how this is done. Add pictures to your first post, here. Pictures are required. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5897514/update-my-kitchen-without-painting-oak-cabinets#n=3
    ...See More

How can I update without painting cabinets or touching countertops?

Q

Comments (24)
    I wouldn't paint the table. Right now, the table is there in all its natural glory (I don't want to get blocked for calling the table a word that means "unclothes", but you know which word that is!). Which is my point. A few clothes for the table (runner, placemats, centerpiece, something!) would go a long way. And when the season or your interest changes, change the table decor.
    ...See More
  • jhmarie
    7 years ago

I also like your cabinets:)

I have wood cabinets and recently installed a new quartz countertop and Kohler Whitehaven short apron front sink. It is a cast iron farmhouse sink that can be installed on standard cabinetry, so great for a remodel. My countertop is light with some gray, but a hint of warmer tones to go with the wood. I like a vintage / cottage / French Country look and I also like white appliances. My kitchen is in my "my pics" ideabook.

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/57579129/thumbs/my-pics-work-in-progress

• debbie12153
    7 years ago

The glaring thing I see is the light fixture. I'd definitely Change that. I would not ever paint those cabinets.

• practigal
    7 years ago

Try appliance film on the windows. Some paterns are beautiful. It is available at the big box stores.....

• blfenton
    7 years ago

I wouldn't paint those cabinets either but would definitely change out the light.

If you do replace the island counter I would extend it beyond the end and if possible behind the cooktop as well. It's tough to tell how much aisle width you have behind the cooktop but whatever you can get would be good.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Oh goodness no I would not paint those cabinets that wood is beautiful. Change light fixtures, countertops, add splashes of colors with accessories but let the cabinets be the star. You can even frost the glass in the cabinets or go for colors. Maybe you could change up the island. Make it a color, extend the top for seating area add some character with a bolder countertop material on the island.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Call me crazy but I wouldn't feel compelled to change anything in this kitchen. Except for putting the trash can somewhere else, and styling the dishes etc. in the cabinets. Especially-I wouldn't paint the cabinets, I'm on board with everybody who said they are beautiful.

Granted, on the picture it's hard to see the backsplash and the countertops..you're there so you probably know why you don't like them. Is it material? Color? Function?

In any case, I like that the countertop is white. But since I'm a bit nuts about tile I might change the backsplash for something either colorful or even patterned. It's a commitment of course, so I'd make sure I absolutely love that color or that pattern. I'd also think how to tie it with the rest of the house. Blues and greens will be amazing-but only if you generally like blues and greens.

I like the idea of background in the cabinets too, to make them stand out a bit. And then you can switch it when you fancy a change. Great idea.

That's not my favorite type of light but it doesn't bother me. If you don't like it-then change it of course. Light should be making you happy.

If to change the hardware-I like the idea of bronze. But I'd decide it after I decide what to tackle, and what the backsplash would be.

If it's too much wood for you and you're tired of it-you can try and break it visually a bit with a rug on the floor.

It's a very nice kitchen. Don't paint it. Not every wood is great, but this one is. I say it very objectively-I wouldn't pick it, but it is beautiful. Add/change smaller stuff so it looks like a Sunday morning to you-a bit different:)

• Ninkasi
    7 years ago

This would be a huge job, and we can't see the rest of the room, but have you considered painting the ceiling white? We have a similar wood ceiling and we painted it recently, horrible job but the difference it made was incredible. You have a lot of wood tones in there, but your cabinets are great as they are. A white ceiling might brighten the space a lot and really refresh the look. Even if you got it painted depending on the size it would probably be much less than getting a new countertop.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

PS I kinda took- as a starting point-the assumption you like color. because of the valance and the light.

So if I'm correct-I envision round glass pendant..colorful, maybe spotted or speckled..:) Something fun

But i might be completely wrong-maybe you crave more graphic, or reserved, or achromatic look. It can be very cool too.

I think this kitchen can be gorgeous either way.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Ninkasi gave me an idea-I don't know about painting the ceiling..but what if you paint the walls?..

• mrshanson1
    7 years ago

i think the problem might be that the floor, the cabinets and the ceiling have all the same wood tones. The problem is that it needs some contrast.

I agree to:

1. NOT paint the cabinets. They are beautiful. Leave them alone.

2. I would paint the ceiling white. I think that would completely brighten the space.

3. I cannot tell what countertop you have. I would put something white, like Bianco (blanco?) Romano granite or a white quartz, maybe with some sparkles.

4. I think you need a color to add some pop. You tried with the valance. I think that color could be brought in easily through the lighting and accessories.

5. Maybe a colorful floor runner rug????

If this kitchen were mine, I would go to Home Goods and invest in some colorful accessories to brighten it up. Try that first. That's the cheapest option. I would also watch some HGTV Chip/Joanna Gaines' kitchen renovation shows to get inspired. They have many wood/rustic ideas to look at. Maybe even the website as well? Then paint the ceiling.

I hope this only gives you ideas. You have great bones in your kitchen. Now it is just about accentuating the good parts. Please do not paint the cabinets.

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

Depending on what style you like, you could hang curtains behind the glass doors. I like this look, personally, but ymmv. I too think the wood is very pretty, and would not paint it. I wouldn't even change the backsplash, based on this picture, at least.

Do you have a table that fits in the wide open area to the left of the island? That spot is begging for a cozy spot to sip a cup of something warm (or today, cool!). I can't tell from this one shot what would be best, a table floating, a table or open island butted up to the cooktop island, or even soft seating with a small table and an ottoman.

I like the idea of orb pulls and lighting. If you like the pulls and knob shapes that you have, they could be spray painted orb.

A runner rug would also set the space off nicely.

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

another vote for don't paint.

I'd get rid of the curved wood valance above the sink (if you haven't already) and, like others have said, update the lighting.

Would you be up to painting just the upper cabinet doors and the cabs beside the fridge? Maybe you could send them out to be painted professionally? I think that would help to break up all the wood running from ceiling to floor. It would also help to blend in the fridge so it doesn't jump out at you from that bank of cabs.

You also seem to have a massive amount of empty space (as quesera points out), but it's hard to tell from the pics. Have you thought about expanding or adding another island/table? That could be painted and would also help to break up all that wood.

• herbflavor
    7 years ago

what is beyond the fridge and cooktop? ..it's not in view. I'd leave all the beautiful wood alone as the kitchen needs an island with all your space. I think I'd take out the stretch of counter holding the cooktop...you probably would benefit from a quote regarding a hood . The long wall with sink is nice but if the venting for a hood can't be done within your infrastructure or budget up through ceiling then you are looking at placing cooktop or range against a wall. There is probably more to do for your nice space to make the kitchen "right" than painting the wood.

• missouribound
    7 years ago

Another vote for not painting the cabinets. Ever. They are great. The only thing I'd change is the light fixture over the oven. Can't see the other light fixtures. At one time I would have said change the counter, but I am totally over granite and quartz.

• PRO
    Design OCD
    7 years ago

Another vote not to paint, they are pretty. And agree that there's too much of the same tone with the floor. Perhaps new blackspash and rug and maybe white countertops (hard to see what they are now). Also if you can find or create a new home for the black counter appliances that may help.

• User
    7 years ago

I agree with Anglophilia - Paint the cabinets. You said you love painted cabinets and it sounds like the job itself is the only thing holding you back. You have way to much wood in that space. Painted cabinets would do wonders.

• Kathy Yata
    7 years ago

The kitchen is a lovely neutral backdrop for some colorful finishing touches. I wouldn't touch the ceiling, the floor, the cabinets, counter or backsplash unless they weren't working for other reasons.

I'd put a roman shade up over the window, add a range hood for sure and definitely change the glass door cabinets.

Replacing the shelves with glass then lighting them or replacing the plain glass with something more interesting and opaque are options as well as adding curtains/painted board behind.

Adding a small round table with a pair of chairs would break up the wood and make a nice little spot to sit and do prep and such as well. I'd pick a fabric pattern with several colors for the blind and curtains and pick one out to use on chair and table and others out as the linens used on the table.

It took a while but I've moved from brass pops to black/near black pops in the house. Dark table/chairs, dark cabinet hardware would be my choice with a strong dark element in the fabric used as well. My house is mostly beige tones and the black is working really well for me.

Appliance color is rarely considered as a design element and should be more often. The white isn't nice with the golden tones of the rest of the kitchen. If the fabric chosen for the kitchen has a lot of white then they would look more a choice. Repeating colors is a good thing! Or get a bit funky and paint them an actual color. Bosch comes in a rainbow of hues in Europe. Wrap dishwasher and refrigerator with colored paper and try it out for a bit to see what you think.

• maries1120
    7 years ago

I agree not to paint the cabinets. I wouldn't even paint the uppers. Once you do that, it is much harder to go back if you don't like it. I've had to paint a couple small things for the bathroom and give me stain any day - or even painting a room. Just with that experience, I know I would never tackle painting cabinets. Although I am a bit of a perfectionist with my staining and painting projects so that is just my preference. Have you looked at kitchen photos to see what you like? I wouldn't do anything until you have a clearer idea of what you would like this to look like when done. If you decide to go with ORB for lights than you could switch out the hardware to match. I've been looking for brushed nickel light fixtures and all the light fixtures I really love are in ORB but too late in the game to change that. I would then look at darker counters to tie that together - maybe something with some white to incorporate the appliances. Not necessarily really dark if you don't want dark but something to contrast a little more with the counters. Maybe googling kitchens with white appliances will give you some ideas. I would prefer more contrast between the ceiling and the cabinets but not sure if that is something you want to do. I don't think the upper cabinets are dark, I think they just blend in with the ceiling - at least on the photo. It is a very nice kitchen. If you eventually change your counters, could you extend the counter on the island to add some seating? This would make it bigger without needing to add cabinets.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

I love your kitchen. I also vote no to paint. I have painted and they chip and are hard to keep clean. Get one of the "Simple Human" trash cans. I bought one and I love it. They are expensive, but worth it. I do not use the bags for them, just regular kitchen bags. If you can, I would move things around until what is in the glass cabinets is pretty. It took several tries, but I got the stuff in the top of my china cabinet moved so it looked nice, but was also useful. I also would change the light fixture. That is very easy to do.

• debbie12153
    7 years ago

I know many suggested it, but I would NEVER EVER paint ceiling!

• mrshanson1
    7 years ago

Why not? A white painted wood paneled ceiling will not get dirty, no finger prints, provides a balance and texture. When everything is the same shade of wood, it is monotonous and boring. Floors, cabinets and ceiling being all the same -that's overkill. Every room needs contrast

• User
    7 years ago

I have a kitchen similar to yours. Cabinets: remove the doors. If you
    don't like that idea, you can put in small stick'um LEDs for internal
    lighting. I would put in a multi light source, be it single fixture with
    something like edison lamps or even small LEDs focused to various areas
    in the kitchen.

My counter is brown granite with splashes of
    white in it. My floors are gray slate (actually patterned concrete). I
    do have several windows which give me nice light. Ever thought of a nice
    piece of artwork over that gable portion to the right? On the lower
    edge, it looks like a nice spot to utilize for "spots" to target dimmer
    areas of your kitchen. My kitchen has trusses, so I use them for
    lighting as well as some artwork.
    The bottom beadboard above the main
    kitchen wall can probably be removed and LEDs or other type spots can
    be put in to shine down on the counter.

To break up the floor, I would use a non-slip rug - perhaps a patterned jute rug. At minimum use a good mat by your sink.
    For
    your Island, I would extend it with a couple shelves that can support
    things like your cook books. They will also add in some color. And a
    pathos plant on your counter or island will also bring in some color.

Hope
    that gives you some ideas. I like your kitchen. You don't have to paint
    your ceiling - Mine isn't painted, but it is stained like yours. Wood
    is difficult to l light up because it tends to absorb light instead of
    reflect it which is why peeps say to paint it white or at least a light
    color. But it really isn't necessary.Take some pix of all angles
    of your kitchen, then go to a good lighting store in your area to get
    some more ideas and see what is available.

• richfield95
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions! The counters are white Formica. They've held up well, but are finicky to keep looking clean. They not only need to be wiped down, but dried to prevent spots.

We're going to move where the stove is (way too close to fridge) so we will need some new counters. And add a range hood. I really don't know what to do with that. I don't care for the atainless chimney type, but I'm not sure what other finish to get that doesn't cost a fortune.

I like the backsplash but feel like it blends in too much with the counters. I'd like to do something to break it up with maybe a little color.

i do not have enough pretty dishes to fill the glass cabinets (please do not zoom in on them whatever you do!) so I like the idea of maybe changing out the glass to something that isn't so transparent.

a white ceiling would break it up, but I can visualize what my husband's reaction would be so I won't speak that out loud. :)

thanks again for for the input! It's nice to view my kitchen through oh her people's eyes.

• maries1120
    7 years ago

What about white poster board taped to the ceiling to give you an idea of how that looks? We were removing a partial wall between the kitchen and dining room. DH didn't want to lose it but really loved it so much better when it was gone.

you should be able to take your cabinet doors to a local glass company and have more obscure glass put in.

a lot of ideas but start looking at pics and stores to see what you like.

• bpath
    7 years ago

Frost the cabinet glass would be my first choice. You can even get film from Home Depot to put on, it comes in different patters, to try it out, and maybe even just leave on! I think that will go a long way toward lightening things up, and it will go with the appliances. Nice colored pendant, light quartz countertops. I'm loving the natural Scandinavian vibe!

• User
    7 years ago

Range hoods: black, white, off white, light browns, etc. downdrafts, hoods., wall ventilation fans, power packs, under cabinet. My cooktop is on my island and I have a black downdraft (Dacor brand). Backsplash: mine is extension of the granite. Backsplashes can also be anything from metal to tiles, wood, stone, glass, etc. A friend did her kitchen partly using the sheet metal like you see on barns. Looks amazing and reflects light without being blinding. There are also tin ceiling tiles and all sorts of decorative panels. Tiles are generally the best. The rest is personal tastes, color & design.

Counters: There are a zillion surfaces within any budget from butcherblock, solid surface, glass, laminates, marble, quartztiles, cement, stone etc.

Write down on a pad what you need in terms of care/maintenance and how it would look. Then go to a couple big box stores like Lowe's, Home Depot, Building materials stores and do a bunch of window shopping. Take a notebook along and jot down what you like, don't like, prices, etc. Talk to sales peeps, too. That will help you narrow down your choices.

So you might like to have a stone backsplash but don't want to get into resealing it every couple years. Or you like the tiles but not cleaning the grout. You also need to look into fire resistant materials, so putting up a painting without something over it to protect it won't work well.

BTW, check into wavy glass for your cabinet glass. Go to a local shop that replaces glass in houses and see their samples - there is frosted, textured, stained glass, seeded glass, etched glass, reeded glass, fluted glass - all sorts of inserts. Fine something you like then talk price. If you have a couple you like, get photos or samples for your hubby to see and to hold up to one of your cabinets to see if it will fit into the rustic feeling.

http://www.countertopguides.com/materials.html

http://www.kitchensource.com/range-hoods/how-to-choose-a-range-hood.html

The armstrong link shows you different types of glass using a lamp as an example.

http://www.armstrongglass.com/forthehome.php

• Ninkasi
    7 years ago

Agree with using film to change up the glass cabinet uppers. Try searching for privacy film. Easy to apply and inexpensive, might make a big impact!

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

I bought an unfinished wood hood and stained it to match my cabinets. It has a Broan vent insert inside. Mine is a more simple cottage style. They have fancier ones too. A good refinisher could probably help you with it if you did not want to stain and finish it yourself. I got my hood through Kitchensource. Most of the brand cabinetry sold in home center stores can be purchased unfinished and most have a few wood hoods. I did find the insert for much less through Kitchensource. I initially talked to a cabinetmaker to make a hood for me, but he was way backed up on orders and it would have taken months. (link to my kitchen was in my first post.)

I like a cottage style and would be tempted to shirr fabric behind the glass doors, but that might not feel like an update to you:)

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Fabric behind the glass doors sounds great. It is really hard to keep stuff in glass cabinets that are often used neat and tidy all the time. The wood has such a wonderful personality I would never paint the cabs. The ceiling as white would be fine. Consider a dark countertop for the main run, and one that is essentially white for the island. I'd also be tempted to find an accent color for that wall that starts way above the island. Depends on what you end up doing with the glass cab doors. Something you like that would go with, say, your towels or what ever movable pieces you plan to have in the kitchen. I do like orb or black drawer/cab pulls. Yes, the lighting should change.

• nini804
    7 years ago

I am sorry, but if it were my kitchen I would totally paint the cabinets sonething!! I would feel like I was cooking inside a wooden packing crate with the ceiling, floors, and cabinets all the same wood tone. And especially since you want white appliances which I don't care for with stained cabinets. I know it is a horrible job, but I would save up until I could get it done professionally. Your kitchen has great bones, and I think the ceiling is very attractive. People pay a lot of money for that kind of ceiling! :)

• practigal
    7 years ago

The window film is a static film and is completely removable. You could buy it this afternoon have it up by this evening and if you decided you did not like it, you could take it down it any point in time. It's the least of your worries.

The island is just too small for the space and that's what looks odd and disproportionate. The very visible trash bin is just inappropriate for such a beautiful kitchen. Each of the other elements is quite pretty and I don't think I would mess with them. Since you're planning on redoing the countertop I would add onto the island (and have the add on portion include an enclosed the trash bin and a recycling bin too if you have that in your area).

I am not sure why you are saying that the stove is too close to the refrigerator. They look pretty distant to me. What is the issue with their locations when you say "close"?

If you are going to move that stove, I recommend that you post a layout of your floor plan and let some of the design mavens on the site offer their suggestions as to how they would rearrange the kitchen.

If you start moving the cabinets around, will you have to redo the floor around them or was everything placed on top of the existing floor?

• H202
    7 years ago

Agree with many of the other comments. No need to paint the cabinets. The appliances stand out like a sore thumb, so if you are intent on keeping them, your other upgrades need to move away from the wood tones and bring in some bright white tones. Definitely get rid of the curtain over the window. I can't really see the countertop but I'd move to something with more white/grey undertone to match the appliances. I would definitely swap out the backsplash for something not tan. Replace the light. Extent the countertop down past the peninsula to create an eat in island.

• richfield95
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The fridge is 36.5 inches from at the stove. If I'm cooking and someone is trying to get in the fridge I have to move. It gets really old with a husband and two kids!!

Im not in love with the white appliances, but I don't care for stainless so I feel like I'm out of options. Plus, there's nothing wrong with them so I have a hard time justifying the cost. Especially when we could use that money towards a trip to the Caribbean. :)

i will look into the film for the glass, I like that idea. I also like the sheer fabric in the cabinet, but I'm not sure I have the right style cabinets to pull that off.

thank you all for the great idea!

• maries1120
    7 years ago

I know what you mean about appliance color options. We went with stainless buy I'm not a fan. White is too bright and black too dark. When we bought the house we had bisque appliances. It worked with our cabinets and the best option but very limited options now.

• practigal
    7 years ago

Have you considered appliance wrap? Reportedly you can wrap the dishwasher, refrigerator and even the stove.

To me, the dishwasher is the appliance that really sticks out, you can always buy a cover for the dishwasher.

• powermuffin
    7 years ago

I would just make a plan to change the counters and the backsplash. Your kitchen is warm and charming. An area rug would solve the problem of the wood floor. We don't see the room which the kitchen faces, so we don't know what your style/colors are. For the backsplash, pull a color from the colors you have in the rest of the house. I could see a mellow, woodsy green there. Counters, if you like black, I would vote for that. And do change out those light fixtures.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio