SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparkleswest

Garage Conversion to ADU: Layout/ Floor Plan Advice

Seak and Sparrow
5 years ago

Hello all!

We wish to convert our 22 x 17 garage into a Accessory Dwelling Unit ADU (Guest House, Mother-in-Law Suite, Studio Apartment, etc) for my sister to live in, but we are really clueless on a what floor plan would be the best. I tried using Sketchup, but I haven't quite got the hang of using it.
We will be getting rid of the garage door and can replace with a "front door" and some windows.

Here is our wishlist:

• The kitchen and bathroom would be on the same wall opposite the wall that use to have the garage door. There is a work shed behind the garage and we think having these items on the between the living space and the work shed will cushion the noise.
  • Room for storage
  • Space for couch and tv
  • Room for clothes in a wardrobe or closet (she isn't a fashinonista so this doesn't have to be a crazy amount of space.
  • The kitchen could be a u shape or L shape if needed - she loves to cook so will need space
  • A place to eat that isn't just barstools as she is getting older and this would be uncomfortable
  • Office space (she works from home): I saw a pull out bed that was built under an office space platform. Not sure if this could work?

My husband could definitely build these things....if I could just figure out the layout and floorplan design.

Thanks in advance for any help/ tips you can provide!

Comments (29)