SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
galimathias

Monstera in gritty mix, slowly dying - please help me troubleshoot!

galimathias
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everyone,

a couple of months ago I put three seperate Monstera cuttings I got from my grandmother in a big unglazed terracotta pot filled with gritty mix. They quickly took root and each cutting sprouted a new leaf.
Ever since a short period of neglect due to my moving house and the subsequent environmental change its health has only gone downhill though. The newly sprouted leaves got plenty of dry brown spots and eventually turned yellow and wilted. The plant has continued to put out new leaves, however, every single one of them has gotten mushy/moist brown parts even before uncurling and subsequently died as well.
I've tried changing different parameters in caring for the plant but right now it seems that it's not going to make it. Here are some different reasons I've considered so far:

- Watering: the biggest suspect right now, as I think I still haven't really figured out correct watering for plants in the gritty mix. Having screened all parts of the mix diligently with a 3 mm (1/8") mesh I don't think overwatering to be a possible issue. To ensure correct watering I always check moisture content with a wooden skewer but I honestly don't know if I'm getting it right. The air in the room is pretty dry and with the terracotta pot being unglazed maybe I'm underestimating the time it takes the soil to dry out.

- Fertilizer burn: I think I can rule that one out as I'm flushing the soil every time I water it. I'm fertilizing about every 3rd to 4th watering right now, having become insecure with all the growth problems lately.

- Light: The plant is indoors, maybe 1 m removed from a moderately sunny east window - I really don't think the leaves are burning. I don't see how too little light could provoke the problems I have and also I've seen quite a couple of Monsteras thriving in conditions with less light.

- Some kind of pest: Some of my houseplants have mild mealy bug-infestations, but I haven't seen any on the monstera, or any other signs of infestation for that matter.

I've included an overview photo of the plant as well as a close-up where you can see two new sprouts rotting/turning brown from the tip (the two to the right in the picture). There's also a close-up of the mix I use (screened bark, Seramis, aquarium gravel) with a ruler (the measures are in cm).

I'm really looking forward to your answers - I'm at my wit's end and it would really hurt to see the plant die.

Thanks in advance
Galimathias

Comments (30)