SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_long3049742

Historic Kitchen Dilemma

Amy Long
5 years ago

Hello, my husband and I bought an 1896 Victorian home 1.5 years ago. We can't decide what to do with the kitchen. We have been researching, brainstorming and coming to dead ends for over a year now. The house was converted into a double around the 1930s, so the kitchen is very small. We've worked with two kitchen designers but ultimately decided we needed to hire an architect first to make sure the kitchen remodel wouldn't get in the way of any other remodel plans. We want to keep as much of the house original as possible or "put it back" such as the original front staircase that was removed. We love our current kitchen's upper cabinets but the architect was unwilling to plan a design that involved keeping them (they are built directly into the plaster). The design she created is nice, but frankly it's completely out of our budget & she wasn't willing to change the design to accommodate our budget which is why we ultimately stopped working with her for now.

As for the kitchen it's very small & opens into the back staircase & bathroom. On the other side of the kitchen is an empty bedroom which we have been planning to use for the renovation. We are planning to remove a large stained glass window from the side bedroom, gut the entire bathroom & put the stained glass window in along with built in window seating. It will give us a huge amount of natural light, visual access to the backyard and connect the family room to the kitchen. We will also remove the built in pantry partially shown in a picture which will open up that space.

To save on costs an to keep the original cabinets, we are considering leaving the kitchen mostly as it is but replacing & adding all new bottom cabinets, backsplash, counter tops/sink/faucet, dishwasher. I would like to center the oven on the wall, add cabinets on either side & either upper cabinets above or floating shelves. I would like to put in a new window that is above the counter top & add cabinets so that there is 3 feet of cabinets between the fridge and the original cabinets. The sink is off center & we an easily move to the right a few inches. This would give me more counter space & storage in the kitchen, tons of natural light, visual access to the backyard and it would be more open.

Where the empty bedroom is, the architect has planned out that we would have a very small 3 ft wide half bath (the bedroom would become the hallway and open up to the front door which it originally used to be). That would leave us with about 6x6 ft space that the architect had designed would be part of a large kitchen. My thought is that we could use that space as a large butlers pantry with counter space and outlets for all of my appliances & ample storage for food/dishes etc. We have 6 children so storage is a problem and currently it's over flowing into this spare bedroom. I included the current drawing of our house & crossed out what we will for sure be removing (the blue toilet was just an idea based off of where current plumbing is). I've also included a pantry idea that isn't mine, but gives an idea of what I'm thinking.

I would love input and thoughts on these ideas.

Comments (105)