SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Turducken....of sorts

annie1992
5 years ago

OK, first, what the heck happened to my post from last night? It's just gone. (sigh)

I spent much of last week attending the Great Lakes Fruit and Vegetable Grower's Expo, something I do every year and enjoy very much. Last year there were over 4,000 attendees, more this year, so it's growing and brings people in from Minnesota to New York to Pennsylvania. Elery never goes, he says it gives me a chance to "be with my own kind", LOL. So, each night when I came home from Grand Rapids Elery would have supper ready.

The first night we had lentil soup and then we had a pork roast, but he decided to experiment the third night and make a turducken. Yeah, other people try a new recipe, but he goes big. (grin) When reality set in and he realized there are only two of us, he decided to downsize. He took one of our homegrown ducks and one of the chickens, but we don't raise turkey so he had to buy a turkey breast. Bone all of those things and roll them up. Except it didn't work well, so he flattened the turkey, layered on the duck breast which he had to separate into two pieces while boning, and then a layer of stuffing as glue. Chicken breast on top of that, roll it all up, tie it. Will it be dry, because it's all breast meat? Heck, let's blow off the diet completely and layer the top with some of our home smoked bacon, that'll make it good! And into the oven it went, coming out looking like this:

Sliced nicely:

Elery ate his "as is", but I had to gild the lily and add some of my homecanned plum sauce. It was so good we had the leftover the next night and Elery is considering making another one for his family's Christmas party. He said it was easy and it was good reheated, so it could be transported for the 3 hour trip and reheat nicely.

The stuffing was onions, celery, bread crumbs out of the freezer from the last batch of bread I baked, a handful of dried cherries, all moistened with some of my homecanned chicken stock. It's not exactly all "farm to table", but we did produce many of the ingredients and he made good use of them.

We'll do it again, but for more people, this would serve the family easily as there is no skin or bone, which also lends to the nice slicing.

And that's what happens when you leave a man home alone for a couple of days.

Annie

Comments (7)

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    5 years ago

Well, Annie, that's one of the things that can happen when you leave a man home alone for a couple of days, lol.! Actually, my man made himself Coq au Vin with egg noodles Wednesday night. I think he's still eating it...

• sushipup1
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yeah, he can cook, but did he also use every tool and vessel in the kitchen AND clean up after himself? I'm sure Elery did a clean job, unlike my friend here!)

It looks fabulous, Annie!

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

I saw that on the WFD thread, and I marveled at his talent. That looks incredibly good, Annie!!!! To even think of it and then pulling it off perfectly, Elery gets a high-five from me!!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    5 years ago

sushi, he always cleans up his messes, although he does use at least half of the available utensils, of which we have many. What is more than many? Whatever that is, that's how many we have, LOL.

Plus, if I'm cooking, he'll come out to taste, to participate and always helps clean up the mess. He also helps with supper dishes, as I usually make supper.

The only thing I can't seem to get him to stop doing is putting a tablespoon full of something into the biggest container we own, thereby using up all the refrigerator space!

He's a good cook, though, the result of years of being single, I think. He does gravitate toward things that are smoked or have a lot of hot peppers, so there is that, but he tries to "tone them down" for me.

Seagrass, coq au vin? That's pretty impressive.

Jasdip, I didn't really leave him home ALONE. He had a dog, two cats, 3 cows, 1 calf, an elderly buggy horse and 22 chickens to keep him company. (grin) He didn't have enough time left to get into trouble, plus it was cold and snowed everyday and I had the vehicle!

Annie

• nancyjane_gardener
    5 years ago

My guy can cook, but he tends to do something "fancy" and if it's a hit, that's HIS dish for a year or so! It used to drive me nuts cause the kids would rave about this, say chicken cordon bleau that took 2 hours and he used every pot in the house and say what a great cook their dad is while I cooked 29 other 20-40 min dinners plus 30 lunches, 30 breakfasts! AND kept things mixed up and healthy! GRRRRR

I have to give it to him that he does do most of the grilling for 5-6 months of the year (we don't grill every night)

Now hat it's just the 2 of us we enjoy experimenting (sometimes hard to do with kids in the picture) together.

I still do the majority, but I also freeze more to heat up at a later date to try to cut down on cooking all the time.

• plllog
    5 years ago

That's fab! I know a lot of men who can cook, but only the ones with a particular interest, like the men in this forum, know about "glue" and could concoct stuffing without asking a bunch of questions. And I know one who knows how to make hot cereal, boxed pasta, cookies, and hot dogs. That is, he knows how to boil water. And bake cookies. He's not bad at making reservations, however. ;) I am much impressed with Elery's creativity.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County