SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigred82

Help me update my 1990's home

bigred82
5 years ago

I recently purchased this 1990 home that is desperate need of updates. I'm currently painting and struggling with room colors, especially the kitchen. The trim and bookcases will be painted SW Snowbound but to cut down on expense, I am holding off on painting the kitchen cabinets, leaving them honey oak for the time being. I'm looking for SW paint color suggestions. I live in Kansas City. I prefer grays and greens but am open to other colors, with the exception of yellow. I do not like yellow. I've already removed the bar to create a more open floorplan between the kitchen and family room. I have also removed the lightbox in the kitchen, with the plan to hang two pendants in it's place over the island. Let me know what color ideas you have that will go with both the white trim, honey oak cabinets and darker kitchen flooring. The carpet in the family room will be an Ash color (50% beige and 50% gray). Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comments (49)

• smit2380
    5 years ago

Sage greens look good with oak cabinets and white trim.

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

Beautiful open home. The wood is to die for. Wood is back 'in', just sayin.

• Related Discussions

How to create a style appropriate to a 1990s builder's house

Q

Comments (48)
    Juliehc, it sounds like you're cooking. I like the cozy sound of saturated gray, but a white ceiling sounds both rather harshly contrasting and as if the white will set it off as not belonging with what's below it. That's a cousin to the problem illustrated in those initial pictures of a room that Hhireno so accurately described as decorated for a lower flat ceiling, with the rest just sort of...up there. A lighter neutral paint on the ceiling that was dark enough to blend calmly into the walls, or more accurately walls into ceiling as the eye travels up, would help make the ceiling part of the room. (I like beige with gray and wonder if that would be a place for it.) I was also struck by Hhireno's comments about the effect of furniture shapes in the pictures Palimpsest posted. This isn't the only way to decorate high volumes, but it certainly works exquisitely in those pictures. Allied with that is my own observation that in every one of those designs, which are meant to celebrate their wonderful high spaces and make them look their best (rather than "deal with" or ignore them as problems), is that dark, contrasting colors are kept low, while the rest of their volumes soar with little interruption to their lightness. Julie's going warmer and richer with grays and beiges, with a very different feeling in mind, but I feel sure there're lessons in there anyway.
    ...See More

Need help with exterior color for 1990s house!

Q

Comments (4)
    I like the idea of a nice deep grey.I'd do a vibrant color front door, maybe in red as well.
    ...See More

Suggestions to update 1990’s Ethan Allen living room

Q

Comments (60)
    I post this cause you have liked green [chairs]: "Create a cocoon with dark green (or very green teal). Take the same color right across the cabinetry as well as the walls.... hmm... maybe same color you love on the walls, for cocoon room, could have same color over other room's furniture?? Befitting the soft, relaxed vibe, metallic accents are minimal, but apparent if you look for them, gently glimmering away; the cabinet handles, bronze lamp base and slim mirror frame add gentle gloss and polish to this peaceful room."
    ...See More

Please help with new siding ideas on my 1990's home

Q

Comments (6)
    Your current roof looks brownish, so if you want a change, do gray this time - a medium gray. Dark colors hold heat, so unless you're in a very cold climate that is not desirable. A lot of different body colors go with a medium gray roof. If you have chosen a brand and line of siding, look at their available colors and see which ones appeal to you. If you're still having trouble deciding you can always come back here and post a picture of the sample boards for comments. I think neutrals wear better over time. If you go with a blue, make sure it has a good amount of gray in it so it's not too intense. Here are some things others have done:
    ...See More
  • Rachel Lee
    5 years ago
    It sounds like you’ve made a good start. I think you’ll find it looks a ton better when the wallpaper is gone. Greens play well with the oak. Take down the ceiling fan in the nook, paint, and repost so we can see where to go next!
  • gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    5 years ago

Nice house! I would not paint any of that wood. Look for a greige that leans blue or green.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Very nice house. Beautiful wood trim. Please do not paint it. The wallpaper in the kitchen needs to go. Blues, gray blues, light greens, gray greens, all aqua colors, all look fantastic with your color oak trim. You are so lucky to have all that quality trim, and cabinets, that are stained. Dont ruin them by painting them, and taking away all that beauty. The light fixtures look to need to be updated in all the rooms, spend your money there.

• Marci
    5 years ago
    Nice place. To my eye, the elements dragging the decor back into the 90’s are the wallpaper, light fixtures, and window treatments. I would also update the cabinet hardware.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

SW paint site suggests Colonnade Gray that goes with Snowbound.

• lizziesma
    5 years ago

wallpaper.gone.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Here is video where you can see Colonnade Gray in kitchen with your style cabinets. It would go good also with your carpet .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS_XB4Q9AYM

• PRO
    5 years ago

Some kind of

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

you can definitely use grays and greens..I'd go for warmer ones..greiges..sage greens..gray greens..warm blues..off whites can look cool too..I know I'm repeating others here)) But you can also repeat color of your counters/backsplash in the kitchen,and introduce colors in your plates etc(glass cabinets), kitchen accessories, and whatnot.

I wouldn't paint any trim, I'd rejoice in having trim such as yours..

Obviously, your decision, your house..but stone likes wood next to it, more than paint. They play well together. And these shelves wont be empty either. They'll have things in them-color and texture..and it won't be just wood as it seems now. And it will read cozy as hell.

It seems as is too much wood right now because of light fixtures that are also partially wood, etc. Add other finishes-and that wood will look so cool, it will all come to life even more. And yes, wood likes colors next to it.

I would take off wallpaper(not because I hate wallpaper, but because this one wouldn't be my choice), and I'd change lights, and go with different window treatments, and will bring art and plants and books and fabrics in colors and prints I love, and have a ball.

Unless there's something in dire need of maintenance that you know and we don't-your house seems very far from being desperate.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

oh, I see celerygirl just gave you an example of wall color in the kitchen that's repeating countertop/backsplash, more or less. Looks great to me

• Annastacia
    5 years ago
    What good bones to work with! I agree, keep the wood, reducing the yellow tone in it will go a long way, once you have painted.
    I would remove all the wallpaper, and change counters, maybe update the sink to a nice single bowl, and add a clean simple backsplash. A soft white basket weave could be beautiful. Sage would offset the cabinets nicely, just watch its not too dark. Another thought would be a Tiffany blue. I love how Tiffany blue works with oak. I found a couple of photos to give you the idea of how they look together, but keep in mind the actual cabinets in these are not oak. One is on the softer side, one a little more dramatic turquoise, depending on your taste. You CAN see how the oak elements look with the blue though! The softer blue shows a lovely soft subway tile that I think would be beautiful.
  • armchairshopper
    5 years ago

Here’s an interesting video on changing the color of cabinets:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pV4lrRvlxtQ

• bigred82
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow, I'm impressed with all of your suggestions and surprised that so many of you say stick with the wood. I feel better now about my wood because I can't tell you all how many people have come in and urged me to paint the cabinets. Granted they were all there to bid the work. But there is plenty of paint work to be done still, 2800 sq ft, 4 bedrooms. I am definitely getting rid of the wallpaper. The walls were not sized properly so we'll have to paint over the kitchen wallpaper. As long as it's primed well, that shouldn't impact the color, right? Also, what is the typical number of colors in a house of this size? I have two kids who each want their own colors. My teenage son a darker aqua blue and my toddler daughter, purple. I want to try and make it all flow as best I can but I also don't know at what point is it too much color?
  • mimimomy
    5 years ago

Honey oak looks very nice with warmer colors, in my opinion. A creamy white, or a light green would be really nice and brighten things since you're in a northern climate.

I like a Valspar color (SW bought Valspar) called "Plum Passion"--- a really nice green... not too dark, not too yellow. I did a maple kitchen in a similar color tone but more saturated in their "Olive Marinade" which is just one of the yummiest colors ever. I tried looking it up the Plum Passion on the valspar site, but it looks far muddier than it does in person, so I think you'd need to get a test sample (Lowes has the nice sample options)....

Just a thought, I know you're looking for SW which I love, but I happen to know these two colors...

• Fori
    5 years ago

The wood isn't bad at all. What's bad--forgive me if you like it--is the kitchen floor. Is there budget to redo THAT? Is it tile?

• Helen
    5 years ago

I think bedrooms can be whatever color a person wants and don't have to "flow" with the house. I am still remembering how excited I was when my mother let me paint and decorate my bedroom as I wanted. Give your kids free rein because they don't have to match anything else.

I am not a pro but I always thought one shouldn't paint over wallpaper.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

I think your kitchen is lovely (including the wood cabinets) and not sure about the comment on the floor, which looks good to me.

Curious as to why would you paint over the wallpaper though? Just not quite understanding that... :) 1990's home... more than likely a vinyl wallpaper?

Can I make a small recommendation based on my life's experiences? Add the pretty stick-on decor for your daughter's room rather than painting it a bright color :) Add more color through the bedding and curtains.

Same for your son.... Unless you love to paint of course :)

• armchairshopper
    5 years ago

I can understand painting over wall paper. Some of that wallpaper is very thin and comes apart when you try to remove it. Worse, when you remove it the underlying wallpaper paste becomes food for mold and mildew. I have scraped, with and without “tigering” the wall. I was never satisfied with the results. I think I would sell a house to get away from wallpaper!

• Kate Walk
    5 years ago

What great bones to work with. Personally I am not a fan of so much yellow toned wood. Would you consider leaving the cabinets in kitchen, but painting the built ins around the fireplace? I think that could help break it up.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Hee hee. Yeah, I have heard that many hate wallpaper. And I can understand painting over wallpaper in certain situations.

Really old wallpaper? Need to dump a home because you're moving? Flipping a home and hope your buyers won't notice? Sure, have at it.

But if this is a 1990's wallpaper in a kitchen, I suspect it is vinyl and more than
    likely strippable. To paint over it for me would be unacceptable. And
    stripping 1990's vinyl wallpaper is not difficult. If properly cleaned
    before painting, there should not be wallpaper paste that becomes food
    for mold an mildew. The only time I ever met mold/mildew near wallpaper
    was in a home I purchased that had wallpaper running under a window,
    that had gotten wet- I suspect from condensation. Stripped the
    wallpaper and painted, and no problems evermore... much more likely to get mold/mildew under the paper than under the paint, in my opinion... In fact Ben Moore says to seal the edges of the ceiling/baseboard to avoid moisture getting behind and causing wallpaper to come off...

If it's a paper wallpaper,it will definitely be somewhat harder to strip (depending on age). With a relatively modern, beautiful home such as the original poster's, I would not paint over wallpaper. If I walked into a home of that quality and design, and discovered wallpaper had been painted over (which I would because it's so obvious) I would factor that into my purchase offer as well as whether I would make an offer at all.

That's me though, and others may have other thoughts... A 100 year old home, I might feel differently, or approach the situation in a totally different way. A home built in the 1990's.....not so much.

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Some new hardware, pendants, and paint color on walls, with maybe a painted island would make your kitchen amazing. These aren't oak, but you get the idea of how warm wood cabinets and floors can looki.

Craftsman Kitchen in Brighton, MI · More Info

French Country Kitchen Cabinet Restoration · More Info

Artisan Kitchen Remodel · More Info

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    5 years ago
    Don't try to paint over the wallpaper. Bite the bullet and scrape it off the correct way. Then prime the walls before you paint them. There is plenty of information on the internet about the correct way to do this, and the simple tools are easily available. I just got through doing this with a basement bathroom and no it wasn't fun but in the end the results looked much better. it will also give you a chance to fix up any small wall problems you might uncover with drywall mud.
  • jhmarie
    5 years ago

It may be worth it to pay someone to remove the wallpaper. It is not a good idea to paint over it.

This is my wood kitchens idea book - both newer and older, refreshed wood kitchens. It might give you some ideas:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

I also have an oak kitchen and have not painted it. Many of my friends and relatives have similar and none plan on painting.

• bigred82
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It is a professional wallpaper removal and painting company that had come to the conclusion that the walls must be painted over. They said the sheetrock will be too disturbed otherwise.
  • Fori
    5 years ago

Try peeling off a chunk and see. And get another opinion. It is hard to imagine a professional recommending painting over wallpaper

• bigred82
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Kate I think that's what I'm going to do.. paint the bookshelves but leave the kitchen oak. Upstairs there's a "bonus room" with oak bookshelves as well. Too much in my opinion so I'm going to paint those but leave some oak intertwined in the staircase and then all cabinets oak.
  • bigred82
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @housegal200 Do you know what color that third pic is? I like that green alot.
  • bigred82
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Fori No budget for the kitchen floor, unfortunately. I'm not sure why they went darker.
  • bigred82
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I did try peeling it. I initially thought I'd be able to take it off myself. As it turns out, neither myself or the professionals can get it off.
  • Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

Have a look at Laurel Bern's post on picking colors to go with wood trim. I think you'll find it helpful:

https://laurelberninteriors.com/2018/10/28/stained-wood-trim-stays-16-wall-colors/

It's also possible to darken stained wood, but that's a LOT of wood to try to get restained evenly. It might be best left to a pro.

• ptreckel
    5 years ago
    Twenty five years ago I purchased a home with wallpaper in my foyer and upper hall that could NOT be removed. I mean it. We tried. With every chemical imaginable. Foil wallpaper. It was impossible to remove. My walls were plastered. But the walls had NOT been properly primed. After consultation with the people at Sherrington Williams who actually came to my house to assess the situation, I had the paper painted. My professional painters made sure to skim coat every single seam, primed the wallpaper twice....and painted it. Twenty five years later, I still have beautiful, seamless walls. Painted pale ivory. Sometimes you have to do this. I totally understand everyone’s reservations. It isn’t what anyone wants to do. It proves the need to prime before wallpapering. But it can be done. Skim coat the seams. And double prime the paper. And cross your fingers! Good luck!
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

I like the floors in the kitchen.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

I like celerygirl's mock up...

Possibly add matching crown to the cabinets

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

If you really cant get the wallpaper off, make sure you put on oil base bonding primer over that paper. Latex paint will make it bubble. Yes, you will have to skim over the seams, or you will see every single one of them, once it is painted. Seems very odd a professional company would even recommend that. Once it is primed and skim coated on the seams, then those seams need to be primed again, and finally, you can put latex paint on the walls. Its not an easy job. I think I would look for another professional and get a second opinion.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

ptreckel, totally agree there may be cases where leaving the paper makes sense...such as foil over plaster -- but this is very likely a very different situation than the OP has, where it is almost certainly a relatively modern wallpaper over drywall.

Not ruining plaster finish is critical, and scraping wallpaper off it is very difficult for sure (been there).

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

I am glad you're planning on keeping most the cabinets same color. There is so many posts on Houzz with cabinet paint jobs gone wrong. If you do hire someone for painting cabinets, hire a cabinet refinisher. Not all painters are good wood paint refinishers. It takes a lot of prep work to do it correctly.

Maybe try doing just the island 1st & see how that goes.

That may be all that is needed for now as far as painting kitchen cabinets.

I'm thinking this color island would be attractive. A greige gray without blue undertones.

If you have extra room for a bigger island,maybe new cabinets with a factory finish & a new countertop

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

nothing to add except remove that horrid florescent light box. You can do it yourself if you're a bit handy. Add a type of multi head light, or best yet, install recessed lighting.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

If you do a bigger island, follow these guidelines for comfortable, functional space around island

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

In regards, to the wallpaper,

I would hire a Pro who has a warranty to their work.

That would be a nice home warming gift to yourself.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Hi BP, didn't see your earlier message that you tried removing the wallpaper, and that the professional company did as well.

If you're comfortable with it, that's all that matters! I hope it turns out well.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

As for different colors for kids rooms. Sure. I would have the kids find 3 pictures of rooms they like & help them choose the best for the home. If it's small rooms, lighter colors keep the room feeling bigger. You may want to stick to neutral colors with pops of their favorite colors. Kids taste changes fast. I think having kids get involved in decorating their own rooms with parents is a great idea & is good for everyone to feel like they have their own, unique space.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

That's my..well, cal it "recipe" for kids

Go to the paint store by yourself. Pick there two-three versions of darker warm blue(a teal?) and two-three versions of purple. But. Don't take bright, nice ones)) these look best on wood in high gloss, and tend to fall flat on walls and look like Barney etc. Pick bleaker, paler, grayer versions of those colors. The ones that look less cheerful.. more "meh" Believe me on the wall they'll be all right..

Of course you should like them yourself. your pre-approval should happen in that store..or maybe in some secret place where you can try samples on paper..

Then present the chips to the kids and ask them (especially important with your toddler)- "Which one you like more: THIS or THAT?"

Here. You get the color you like, that will look sophisticated enough, and that your kids chose:)

And I have a feeling these will go nicely with your trim too, given bedrooms have same trim.

(don't ask painters-in case you don't pain yourself- how many colors a house should have..huge chance they'll say "people usually use two or three".

I have 19 or 20, and my house is 1000 sq feet smaller than yours. True, many of them look pretty similar..lol

Painters were very surprized,,

Usually the bigger the room, the more open the plan-the easiest is to go with lighter paint. whatver it will be

Just mind your colors being similar in terms of clean/muddy and warm//cool. Then it will flow)

• Fori
    5 years ago

If it helps, my kid picked out a brilliant deep swimming pool blue about 8 years ago and still loves it. AND it looks pretty good with our orange oak floors, which is a little unexpected. I think it's fine letting kids do a color as long as it's not something YOU dislike looking at. Just don't let them make a habit of it. :)

Do you think the paint guys would be willing to do a demonstration of paint-over-wallpaper?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

I have painted over wallpaper in my mothers old home (well, not I, the painters did) and you couldn't even tell. Never had an issue down the line with it either. If a professional wall paper company is telling you that damage will occur if removed, then you can either agree w/them, or remove and replace all of the drywall.

• bigred82
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Anyone know what Sherwin William's color matches BM Coventry Gray?
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Monorail Silver SW 7663 similar but not exact. Also Samovar Silver SW 6233.

Exact matching Behr 815 Pacific Fog