SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chimacalgal

Question about the height of slide-in gas ranges

CJ Mac
5 years ago

We need a new gas range because the oven has stopped working. We don't use the oven very much: mostly just reheating or heating up frozen items. Because of that, I don't want to spend a lot ($700-1500 tops), but I would really, really like a stainless top instead of the typical black top. (White would not work with our other stainless appliances.) I HATE cleaning the black top of our range: it always looks bad.

So what I've been finding is that--at least at the big box places--the only ranges with a stainless top are the slide-in ranges. Problem is, when we had our backsplash tiled a year or two ago, instead of running the tile below the edge of the counter (as they easily could have), they cut off the tiles right at the counter line behind the stove. So from the side, you can actually see the wall underneath the cut-off tile behind the range.

The slide-in range I've been looking at is 36" high. The countertops are 36" high--but the tile is cut off at just about half an inch less (so 35.5). A handyman who was just here told me that he thinks slide-in ranges have a little raised lip in the back that would probably cover over the difference. Or that the range legs could probably be raised slightly.

Anyone have any experience with this? IS there usually a raised edge in the back?

But again, if I could just find a regular range with a silver-colored top, I'd be very happy.

Comments (2)