SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_35844888

Does is matter what type of Peat moss for rooting conifers?

User
5 years ago

I have two kinds of peat here. They both read "Spagnum Peat Moss" on the packaging.

One is a fine, dark with a very little perlite showing. Says "All Natural".

When I put it through the 1/4" screen, most of it goes through by simply shaking it. There are only a few little 'balls' of hard nuggets with a very few peices of wood sticks in the screen. It's soft & almost black in color. Almost like moist dirt.

The other is coarse texture and packed in a 'bale' with plastic on the outside. You have to break it apart and smoosh it up. More brown in color and when I put it through the screen, it leaves behind quite a few hard balls and small sticks. I think I could 'rub' it through the screen but figured I would get more of the small sticks coming through and possibly what could be dead grass?

I'll be using one of these for a Peat 33% and Perlite 66% mix for my conifer cuttings this winter.

Is there any difference to using one or the other? I used the fine, blacker stuff last year and never had problems with mold or anything. What difference using one over the other, if anything would there be? Will the coarser stuff be better for drainage? What say ye?

Comments (5)