SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purple1701

Is peat moss necessary 2nd time around?

purple1701
10 years ago

So I'll begin this post/inquiry with the obligatory "yes I've searched but I didn't find an answer to this specifically"

My question is: do I need to till peat moss in again this year?

The garden area is about 4'x24'. Last year, we did the following prep work: in the fall (of '12 that is) we tilled in about 6 large garbage bags of leaves. In the spring (of '13) we bought 7.6 cb ft of peat moss, and tilled that in. My hubby went pretty deep with the rototiller both times, about 4-5' I think. There were some fireplace ashes, and a bit of organic matter thrown in as well as well. The soil was a bit clay-ish to begin, but after those amendments it seemed pretty good. I did some ph testing and that seemed okay as well.

My tomatoes did extremely well, peas, green beans and lettuce all thrived too. Kohlrabi, beets and potatoes languished and basically I got nothing from any of them, although I think this was due to a combination of design error, poor planning and a lack of expertise on my part more than the soil quality.

I have read that peat moss takes years to decompose, so this would seem to indicate that I won't need it this year, is that accurate?

Comments (26)