SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swiss_chard_fanatic

After one year of switching to LED bulbs in the house, the result...

1. I can't get comfortable.

I replaced our CFL bulbs (800 lumen, 2700K to 3000K) all through the house over a year ago with LED bulbs (800 lumen, 2700K to 3000K) and since then I have come to dislike LED's because they simply do not fill the room. I have to sit right under the light fixture to read. If I am sitting or standing as little as 2 feet away, I am in a shadow and reading is uncomfortable. Also, when directly under an LED light, I feel like I'm in a glare. I can't seem to get comfortable.

2. The electric bill did not go down.

The electric bill is actually pretty much the same, on average. I don't notice any difference vs using CFLs throughout the house. We do not have a huge house and we both work away from home; perhaps this is the reason.

3. Two LED bulbs out of 8 died within 1 year of use.

The LED bulb packaging says I'll get 20-22 yrs of life out of LED bulbs; but so far, that is not the case. I have doubts that LED bulbs actually will last that long. Perhaps the blame should go to the fixtures in some cases, but how do I know, as a consumer, what is going to be a perfect fixture for a particular LED bulb?

-----------------------------------------

Bottom line: My biggest complaint is that I need to be right under the LED to see effectively. Do I just need to try a "better" LED, or are all LED's uni-directional and uncomfortable? Do I return to CFL's? I didn't like that they take time to reach full output. I prefer a light that fills the room, going out in all directions. What to do?

Comments (4)