SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

Have I been wearing my down coat the 'wrong' way?

amicus
5 years ago

I have a down coat, that is very thickly quilted, so rather heavy and bulky. It was rated excellent by all of the reviews I read. I mostly wore it for taking my class sledding, and under it, I usually wore a long sleeved t-shirt and then a zip up fleece overshirt.

I expected to feel 'toasty' warm, but in reality, I don't think I actually felt any warmer than when I layer, under my non-down coat. So I wondered, when one wears a down coat, are they supposed to not layer under it, so that by just wearing one top, your body is closer to the insulating down? Was I ignorantly thinking I'd be warmer, but actually negating the insulating properties of the down, by putting too many layers between my skin and the coat?

The 'Ugg' company advises that their boots are not supposed to be worn with socks, as the wool fleece inside the boot, wicks moisture from your bare feet, to keep them drier and warmer, than if you wear them with socks. But I really can't find anything that specifies if down apparel is meant to be worn with only one layer under it....or not.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional