SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlosmom

I think I've been knitting wrong for years and years!

arlosmom
11 years ago

I'm left handed, and I learned to knit when I was about nine by watching my ten year old sister head on. I'm not sure she did it right either. I've never been an avid knitter, but I've made about a dozen baby sweaters and several scarves through the years.

Last week I was in a yarn store and the woman who was helping me showed me a pattern for an easy lace scarf (similar to fan and feather). There was an instruction that I didn't understand: k2 tog t.b.l. She demonstrated what "through the back look" looked like. I realized that I have ALWAYS knitted through the back loop rather than through the front loop.

I think my knitting looks fine and I don't think my stitches look twisted, but now it's obvious to me that I knit differently than the rest of the knitting population. Will this cause me problems? Do I need to learn to do it correctly? I watched a couple of youtube videos the other day and experimented with trying to knit correctly, but it feels so incredibly awkward vs. the way I've always done it. Opinions? Help! Thanks.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
More Discussions