SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

Could my tiny picea jezoensis be considered a new selection/cultivar?

Some of you may remember about my posts regarding my tiny picea jezoensis about a year and half ago but I will recap. So I bought some potted grafted picea jezoensis(originally labeled as picea alcoqiuana) from a guy last who runs a nursery selling mostly grafted conifers and some Japanese maples. This was last year in April.

Heres why I think the picea jezoensis that I bought may be an undiscovered cultivar. The parent tree is in the guys' huge 5 acre+ backyard and is reportedly 60 years old. But only about 15-20 ft tall. The parent tree was grafted itself as well. The ones I bought were grafted in 2006 and they were only 2.5 ft tall when I bought it. Over 10 years old and only 2.5 ft is not normal. The rootball wasn't rootbound either, for some odd reason. I observed last years new growth on this tree in spring and then this years as well. Both years new growth was only 3 inches a year. No species conifer grows that slow... even if it didn't favor the surrounding environmental conditions and being in a root restricting pot, 2.5 ft as a 10+ year old species tree is unheard of. Also 15-20 ft tall tree in the ground as a 60 year old is not normal either.

So, I am thinking that the parent tree is a dwarf cultivar that the grower never knew about. He took the scion off another picea jezoensis and that scion cutting happened to form a dwarf tree after grafting. I think embothrium said before that a branch wants to stay as a branch forever but then don't all grafted trees usually come from a lateral 'branch'(unless from the top tip)?

Here is the parent tree.

Comments (8)