SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susuwantsit

From the Curator of The Nursery at Grace Rose Farm

susuwantsit
5 years ago

Hi! I wanted to introduce myself as the Curator of The Nursery at Grace Rose Farm. I’m Susan Lyell Young. You may have known me here at Poorbutroserich.

I believe it is improper for me to conduct business here so this is an informational post.

Please email me any questions or concerns susan at gracerosefarm.com

Gracie and I have worked for several years collecting the roses we know and love so that we could share them with other rose lovers. Over time, I have personally collected the vast majority of the roses we are offering and have grown them on as mother plants. None of my plants have grown in an area known to have RRD. Additionally, I have travelled all across the country to establish this collection and swapped many a plant with others who share my passion. I have financially supported all own root nurseries who offer varieties I sought. I did not collect and plants that were in commerce, I paid for them. This has been a costly undertaking for me.

Is it a perfect process? No.

Is it the only way to bring beautiful roses back into commerce and get them to those who want them? Yes.

As Kim so aptly put it, "That's what you get when you have plant nuts, ROSE nuts, sparing no effort (or expense!) to collect goodies. No joke.”

We believe that large commercial growers no longer consider what rose lovers desire.

We believe that large commercial growers no longer consider rose lovers much at all.

As we all know, Weeks is sending out roses that have been potentially exposed to RRD.

We will never knowingly send out any plant with any disease period. I also have to tell you that if you think that you can avoid RRD, those days are likely over. The Genie is out of that bottle.

Addressing comments here I would like to let you know that Gracie and her staff of twelve people walk the fields every day and care deeply for their roses. Gracie ships nearly 30,000 stems per week of cut roses to florists all across the country. This would not be possible without constant, continuous, hands-on loving care. Her roses must be immaculate. Additionally, her fields are inspected quarterly by the California Agriculture Commission.

Gracie employs two full time people who focus solely on the nursery. They hand weed and care for each plant in the field. They budded the majority of our roses in the field! I’ve visited several times and I cannot emphasize how much work goes into these roses. No machinery is used for digging nor potting.

High tunnels have just been installed for the nursery plants for their protection.

Hand in hand with caring for the roses, Gracie cares for her employees. They are paid a living wage.

She also cares for the Earth. Primarily, the roses receive organic food and water through drip irrigation but they are also given frequent hand showers and hand feeding.

Labor, as you know, is expensive. So is growing with integrity using sustainable methods. We believe we are the only rose nursery to use such methods and the costs of our plants reflect the care that is given them.

We set out to become the nursery we’ve always wanted to support, with varieties and quality that are no longer available in the US. We did not start this nursery as a money making venture and likely will not realize a profit for several years. When you purchase one of our roses you are contributing to our efforts to prevent extinction and promote preservation of the beauties.

Lastly, we want to serve you and welcome all rose nuts to rejoice with us as we bring beauty back to rose gardens. We are paying forward the kindness and generosity of those who opened their collections to us. If you will email us directly at The Nursery at Grace Rose Farm we will offer you a generous discount. We want to know what you want us to grow. Let us know?

Comments (19)