SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter_morrone

Please help with Botched floor refinshing project

Peter Morrone
5 years ago

We had 3000 sq feet of perfect, flawless 1980s oak flooring refinished to darken the wood. We love the color but there are waves and chatter throughout. The contractor came highly recommended by a flooring company. It was a comedy of errors from botch staining that caused them to have to resand, letting birds in the house and leaving it overnight so it pooped all over the stained floor...massive dust everywhere...and the worst of it is the poor end result. Iwas away for 2 weeks and this is what I arrived to see...

This is everywhere. We had wanted a bit more gloss but my wife was afraid it would make the waves more visible so we ended up with a wavy floor and not the finish we wanted....along with the wrong molding but that minor compared to the rest. They did not offer to redo it...nor would we want them to touch it again since they obviously cant do it right and they already sanded it twice...if it was refinished once before I am afraid it will be too thin...I can already see visually a dip down from the edges of the floor.

They did not clean any of the dust and my wife has been leaning for days...don't know if that is normal but them having to do it over once because of the botch staining job caused delays in other things...in some cases over a month so we just had to leave it alone and get them out.

I had to pay them half to get them to leave and said I would discuss the rest when I got back from my business trip. one of the workers blamed sub floor....the owner actually said to my wife..."the floor is flat...it is just the finish...it will wear down and you wont notice it"...he never offered to redo it and again we would not have him touch it. He didn't have a trio wichi I think is the only thing that can fix it...just a drum. So my questions are...

1-How many time can you sand a floor?

2-He basically said "I guess I cant make you guys happy"...what is my recourse...do I have to pay him the other half

3-He actually damaged my house in my opinion and refuses to admit it. When we go and sell out home this may significantly devalue my home....can I sue them? At least for the cost to get someone else in there to do it right at some point in the future?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (3)