SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessrp

which direction to build house?

Jessica P
5 years ago

Our lot is facing SW. We are in Georgia....so southern summers are a factor. I was thinking of doing this house in the orientation drawn out.......but I'm starting to wonder if I should reverse it. Looking at the house, there are neighbors we don't know to the right (their house is probably 200 ft behind where ours will be and is back farther in the woods, so only the long drive is visible through the trees from our backyard). My husband's family land is to the left. His siblings will more than likely end up being our neighbor on that side in 5 or so years. I am trying to keep in mind privacy and the best direction for sunlight. Yes, I realize the house is not facing the ideal direction.....but we were blessed to be given family land and are going to be thankful for the opportunity to build. I really wanted den/dining in back of house for privacy reasons. Just thought I'd add that info in here, because most everyone on this site just wants to point out that the den/dining area is facing NE and won't have natural light. I want good lighting.....but I don't want my kitchen or family room or master bedroom at the very front of our house. Our last house was broken into and robbed badly, so I am just a little extra mindful of what can be seen through the front of the house. Should I have the long, garage side on the right or left? I don't want to block views of the pastures and the land....but my husband pointed out that we will be planting pines, so in several years viewing the entire pasture from our back yard won't be happening anyway. We are on 5 acres. My husband sibling's house to the left would be at least 300 feet from us, for perspective. We will be 225 feet off the road, and will have a decent size back yard. Thank you so much! I'm really having cold feet I suppose as I near the stage of finalizing the plans.

Comments (43)