SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marthaquest

Stuck on color... or lack of it.

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi All,

We are remodeling our kitchen and in that process have decided to keep it light. Fifteen years of dark greens, slates, and granite were just too much. We had narrowed the cabinet choices down to white or a light naturally stained wood. Recently, my husband who has a love of all things natural, pushed for the second choice. I was happy with that as I never could picture myself with an all white kitchen. Now that we have made that decision I am really stuck on finding a way to add some actual color. Our floor is mostly bamboo, our quartzite slab for the island is Fusion with mostly green and gray, with some white and creams through out. I think we are going to do a quartz perimeter counter top that is mostly light to mid tone grays. And right now we are leaning toward a carrera marble subway tile for the backsplash. But I really, really need a bit of color! We can add color in upholstery for the island stools, the dining table chairs, a banquette bench seating cushion and pillows, 2 walls that will not have the backsplash, and small appliances. Attached is a loosely rendered 3D image, mainly posted here to demonstrate the lack of color. Any and all ideas welcomed!!!! The pendant lights will definitely not be those!!!! And not that color. Also some of the upper cabinets will be glass to lighten it up a bit further.

Comments (29)

• 5 years ago

Modern feel to this kitchen design. I don't see those pendants as adding to the design ethos. Cans to light the island. I feel the island stone will be enough color and interest for this kitchen. I'd use an induction cooktop from Miele or Bosch with and oven below. You have room for an undercounter Miele Combi/Steam oven on the right.

• Related Discussions

Lack of Color

Q

Comments (6)
    Scabiosa, calylophus, purple skullcap, perennial geranium aka Cranesbill, Texas Mock Orange, four nerve daisy, marcus salvia, salvia greggii, nearly wild rose have been blooming for 1-3 weeks and should continue thru at least part of the summer, off and on. Phlox pilosa, California poppies, larkspur and Stella daylilies are about to pop now. For later I have flame acanthus, pavonia, russian sage, creme broulee coreopsis, black and blue salvia, rain liles, and oxblood lilies. I have something blooming from March till frost and later with this mixture.
    ...See More

Stuck with a color scheme

Q

Comments (2)
    I think we are going to need pictures. Also why can't you change any of it if it bothers you? What is this? a wall installation put up for installation purposes. Some inspiration pics I am getting a Ralph Lauren Vibe...
    ...See More

Help! Love my kitchen but it's stuck in the 80"s. Running out of time!

Q

Comments (23)
    Thanks for all the thoughts. The electrician and I decided on LED cans around the perimeter and finish the light box with more cans or uplighting strip. (The ceiling can't be raised because of duct work). I don't need more storage or counter space so starting over doesn't appeal to me. I really have loved the kitchen so it works for me, but agree that the next person could start from scratch. For this old lady, I love the forgiving tile as the house sits on a lake and the brown granite that enhanced the oak-trimmed mountain rustic home when gray and black was all that was available. The cabinets were high end CRYSTAL cabinets with real wood, so I'm okay with keeping them - probably better quality than many newer. It's the laminate doors and drawers with oak trim and oak wooden handles that I'd like to replace (not repaint). I have a local cabinet maker coming to bid a simple, flat panel door and drawer in light wood or taupe/gray paint. Appliance garages are history! Maybe glass doors or wood shelving instead of the uppers above the garages? Never gave much thought about the bar sink, but agree the mirror and faucet gives it a vanity feel. The coffee station that is housed in the appliance garage, could be relocated there. And I'll be shopping for a paint color for a softer, modern look. Any other thoughts?
    ...See More

need color help - stuck on hold

Q

Comments (7)
    After I slept on it, I decided to finish it without the red. I will take out the bright red blocks (only two) and either finish it with a piano key border or, if I don't have enough fabric, then something close to one of the colors in the quilt already. I don't think I will be happy with the bright red as it won't really look like the one in the photo. This will not be the same, but will be pretty. It satisfies my want to make a card trick quilt. Who knows, I may try again on this one. I'll find the shirting first, before I start collecting fat quarters. Someone on the other site mentioned the scale of the prints - that the ones in the photo were larger than the ones I chose (my cousin had so many, she probably had larger scale ones, I just didn't realize the impact it would have on the quilt). I'll make sure than the red blends well with the other reds in the quilt, too. Thanks for your help these last few years. I learn more with every quilt. bkay
    ...See More
  • PRO
    5 years ago

I wouldn't stress to much about an accent color. Where you are going (design wise) is reminding me a lot of the 2015 HGTV Dream Home Kitchen. Here's a link: (https://www.hgtv.com/design/hgtv-dream-home/2015/dining-room-pictures-from-hgtv-dream-home-2015-pictures). You will notice that there is no "color" per se in their kitchen. They just bring color out here and there in unique accessories. I think either bringing out blue/navy or yellows would be great in your kitchen, though the sky is the limit. If you chose yellow for example: some yellow dishtowels, bowl full of lemons, some wine in yellow bottles, some food-related art under a cabinet with yellow, a tall arrangement of forsythia, staged table setting of yellow plates in your eat-in bar area. I'll share a couple of idea books with you. But you get the idea. Before you know it, you have a colorful kitchen on a backdrop of neutrals.

• 5 years ago

Have walls have been removed? Nice oversized space.....you can do two finishes...why is there no seating? heavily laden with cabinets...do you need so much. For what you describe as needing "color" might just be the need to vary the look of the mass of cabinetry in the same material. the area on right could use a reduction in cabinets, change to a different finish, and orient some seating in that area. Either reduce the island size and butt a table next to it....or actually a slight larger island with overhang for seating.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Does anyone read the op question?

" these are NOT the pendants"

"maybe upholstered stools?"

etc.......along with rough rendering and the inclusion of "some glass doored uppers".

• 5 years ago

Many hundreds of times a post will ask a tightly focused question. But we look at the project with fresh eyes. That can be as valuable to someone in the long run as a simple answer. JAN you answer how you can and leave the rest of us to do what we like.

• 5 years ago

I agree with Jan that a marble backsplash would be a mistake as it will fight with the Fusion. A solid green to coordinate would look nice and add the color you are looking for.

You said the rendering is rough, so it's hard to know what is an actual choice, but I dislike the slate floor with the quartzite for the same reason I'm advising against the marble--the two patterns will compete for attention. Let the fusion be the star. The bamboo would look great extended through the kitchen.

For the perimeter counters, I would look for a quartz with minimal pattern that matches the cream in the Fusion.

• 5 years ago

I agree with no marble or stone backsplash with your gorgeous countertop- and no slate floor. I also agree with quartz that is very plain for the perimeter- though another slab of your pretty stone would go a long way to solving your color issues. Maybe a wooden countertop for the perimeter? That can be done with a sink and it is done all the time in the UK.

• 5 years ago

Lynn, I like your idea of lighter wood kitchen. Very pretty...I do think a counter with movement could be overpowering and keeping some elements simple can help. You will be amazed to discover a stone like that will add lots of color. Maybe too much...

I found some kitchens with light wood that might give you ideas for your space.

This color of green gray looks nice with the warm light wood.

Oceanfront Cottage · More Info

Here is a kitchen with wood floors and light wood cabs that adds color with the chairs and this one had two different countertops

Kitchen Design Ideas · More Info

I like the simplicity of just a little pop of black and white among the light wood

Belvedere Lagoon · More Info

Carter Road · More Info

• 5 years ago

Are the cabinet and floor colors in the drawing accurate? If so, I think what is missing is a lack of contrast between the floor color and the cabinet color (perimeter). I just came from having maple floors and maple cabinets and never liked the lack of contrast. Is there a way to darken (or lighten) either the cabinets or the floor so it is not so matchy-matchy? Or maybe adding glass upper cabinets would help to break up all of the light wood color.

• PRO
    5 years ago

You have seen the slab of Fusion, if not, it is a must. Looking at different “versions” of Fusion, most seem to have more of a warmer look. That’s good, IMO, because you do have color in your scheme,,,,the cabinets and the quartzite. Consider a warm “brass” for the backsplash. Your kitchen may be perfet for blue walls.

• 5 years ago

Perhaps you can paint the walls without the backsplash with a vibrant color to get that distinction. You can also consider having the pendant lights in the same color as the two painted walls.

• 5 years ago

Thank you all for these great suggestions! I was trying to find a way to address each of you individual but could not see how to do so. I am glad to hear that there was agreement on the "no" to the carrera marble backsplash. It was a remnant idea from when we were planning on an all white kitchen and while I did not want to give up on it, it did not feel quite right. I do like the idea of the green glass subway tiles and also the tiles with the brass though I do think they may be too similar to the tone of the floor and cabinets.

Yes, a wall is coming down. It currently runs perpendicular to the island at the right side. The right side of the island will now end where that wall stands. That floating island is no longer part of the plan; It was initially intended to extend the length of the island while preserving the flexibility of how that open area can be used. There is another other large area that exists from where the "picture" of the model is being created. That unseen area is the main eating area which contains a wall full of shelves surrounding a 9ft banquette bench at a table that can easily seat 8. However, we love to entertain (and cook!) and the space to the right that you can see needs to be flexible so it can be used for extra seating. Our immediate family (kids and grandkids) is now up to 14; and that doesn't count local aunts, uncles, and cousins! I am afraid of that open space looking like a dance floor when we don't have the extra seating set up! Any ideas?

As for the slate floor, I do believe that will need to stay. It was a labor of love created by my husband with my support. It is a Penrose tile non-repeating pattern constructed of 2 shapes: kites and darts. My husband cut the tiles himself (all turns at 72 degree angles!) and I laid out the pattern on the computer. We then laid out the tiles into the pattern in the backyard and numbered them, moving them into the kitchen as we laid them. It is about 15 yrs old but still in good shape. He is not ready to let it go! As the shape of the kitchen changes, we will have to cut a few more tiles to fill in certain areas, but we've worked out a plan.

Afcgirl, as for the color of the cabinets and bamboo floors being similar, I've been concerned about that too. Once the actual remodel is done the bamboo floors will be refinished and we should be able to darken them at that time if we decide to do so. I'm not sure how dark to go. We also plan on using a rug somewhere in the kitchen

Judy G. I love that last photo you shared with the cream counters and the greenish, bluish, grey wall (at least that is how I am seeing them). Boxerpal, I see that one of the photos you posted does show the carrera marble, and it kind of looks okay? I think I need to keep in mind what our slab looks like! Jan Moyer, do you think a cream perimeter counter would accent the 'pink' you were picking up in the slab? I don't think I would want that. By the way, that picture of the quartzite is the exact slab we purchased; it has almost none of the really warm rusty browns that are often seen in Fusion.

Herbflavor, if we were going to do a different finish on some of the cabinets where you you make the switch to the second finish? Top vs bottom, left side (of fridge) vs right? Far right corner? We will already have a different finish on the island (either darkish gray or dark green - right now, anyway). But I think that would be too dark to put around the perimeter. Hence, why we are now at 'all natural light wood'. We thought 3 finishes might be too many! Any thoughts?

Zulemi, what color would you use on those wall?

Again, thank you all so much. This is really helpful.

Lynn Stine

• 5 years ago

I’m using Fusion in my kitchen too and my slab is very similar to yours. I haven’t chosen backsplash yet but I’m pretty sure I’m going with a white to match some other elements in the kitchen. I’m also considering a blue or gray since those are such beautiful colors in the slab.

• PRO
    5 years ago

For what it's worth:

I think no matter a labor of boundless love, it is time to let the tile GO .....UNLESS you want to let go of Fusion.

In any kitchen - no matter color or style, it's the marriage of all elements to a pleasing whole. That doesn't mean " I love this, and I loooove that too, so if I love BOTH I will love my kitchen. ............evidence is these very pages, nearly daily.

You may be overly concerned with "color" , and in some ways , perhaps, not ready to let the old kitchen go.Your ( tile) floor lends itself perfectly to a greenish soapstone, less so to the very BOLD Fusion.

You will get a thousand opinions here, there will be a couple hundred visuals. It can be helpful of course to think through with a crowd.

I think it is far MORE helpful to get a KD, on site, and let him or her get you the WHOLE of the feel of the kitchen and all that goes with it. When you put that talent with an interior designer, they will together!!! consider the additional eating space function, the cousins, the love of cooking , where Auntie Mildred will sit with that pile of kids and all the rest. Together they will marry the areas for function and a pleasing visual and functional WHOLE.

You are still focused on each of the individual "pieces" and their colors. And of course at a point it does come down to individual selections . But. There are a million miles between a stark white sterile "no color" kitchen.......and......the I. wanted. it . all. kitchen. Get some pro help and allies for the commitments that come with change. Any change......... : ( : (

Just an example......of a bit scary.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Oh, Jan stop being such a meanie....

• 5 years ago

Can we see a picture of the actual floor? Slate comes in such a variety of colors that it’s impossible to comment on your color scheme without it. My mother has slate and hers looks nothing like the picture Jan posted above. Hers is more gray, green and purple.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Look behind the OP's island I tried to find similar.. I'm not being mean. I am picturing the tile extended and a fight with counter top. No matter it be green and....... . Just a bit too much going on. If as consistent as below? Maybe yes, and to your point Diana : )

• 5 years ago

Jan, pretty sure the first photo posted was a rendering, not OPs current kitchen. Doubtless the only slate option in the software. And it *is* horrible and dated and dark and, as you say, belongs nowhere near Fusion.

The slate shown there certainly isn’t in a Penrose pattern. I had to look that up, and now I really want to see it!

• PRO
    5 years ago

You are correct. She hasn't posted the ACTUAL kitchen. But. She has slate, and it doesn't belong with Fusion, I agree. Fusion is too much "glitz" for slate, to me.

I think the LARGER point is she is unwilling to let GO of the very kitchen she about to "change" : ) That's jmho.

• PRO
    5 years ago

I would not worry about adding color to your kitchen since your island will have plenty of color and movement. I would trust that your Fusion slab will carry the weight and need for interest in your kitchen. Because of this I would advise against the marble backsplash. In fact, I wouldn't even think about a backsplash until everything else is installed. Another thing to keep in mind, even though your cabinets are not a color, natural wood brings its own subtle beauty with its finish and wood grain.

Also, have you considered continuing the bamboo flooring into the kitchen? Keeping the same flooring will help make the space feel larger and less truncated. If you do this you might be able to get away with a touch of color for a backsplash without overwhelming the space with pattern and color.

Keep reminding yourself that less is more! In the words of Coco Chanel, "“Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take at least one thing off.”...which is true for kitchen designs too ;)

• 5 years ago
    Thanks, again. I think it is time to bring back a designer. We did interview a couple but my husband really wanted us to do it together. My concern with going without was that we would make these less than optimal decisions that we are discussing here. In previous projects, we have made mistakes but then only grew to love them (resolving a bit of cognitive dissonance). I’d rather not have to do that this time! I will try to find or take a good picture of our floor. We decided to view the floor as neutral when it came to our selections but that may have been mistake. I have already let go of my dream of a blue kitchen because of the slate floor. I just could not make it work with our slate (mostly in the dark greys with some greens family).
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Haha, Jan, I was being sarcastic--I think you're always right on point!

And I agree that any slate is going to compete with the granite shown above. One or the other should go. A plain counter top with the slate, or a plain (I'd pick wood) floor with the granite.

• PRO
    5 years ago

When you get a designer........ you are STILL doing it together. A designer is mediator, financial advisor, "shrink:, atop all the other attributes needed for function, comfort, efficiency and the pleasing whole. The team of two ( The KD doesn't really want to choose your sofa) is generally best, and both have the other trades at their fingertips. Get someone who isn't afraid to use the "no" word: ) Design is editing, no matter the space. A famous quote from Coco Chanel has been tweaked from elegance......to "design is refusal" That, is 100 percent true.

Get what you dream of the FIRST time. if it means letting go of some floor to get it? You're entitled to a dream you can love for a long while. There's a sacrificial lamb in every house, remodel, build, kitchen, bath- and rarely is it simply a function of resources. The entire point to the pro help is to get what you truly love, better than you would have ever gotten it on your own.

• 5 years ago

I'm contacting a designer tonight!

And for those who wanted to see the floor I'm attaching 2 photos; the second one was taken with overhead lights on and the first one with just the flash. When you look at the floor from across the room, the gestalt is a dark mid-tone. The star in the center is symmetrical and then the design spans out from that point. It's a mathematical thing!

• PRO
    5 years ago

Thank you Lynn. Now I'll put my "work" hat on: ) I'm at your home.

"Okay.....we have a floor, beautifully executed and clearly an intensive labor of love. if you will forgive my analogy, we'll pretend this floor is one of your kids. You love this kid. He/she has been with you since seemingly FOREVER. Still is. But now, you'd like a space less shared, an office or craft room in that kids bedroom space, or EVEN a completely different home all brand new. Perhaps that's in a different locale, city state or country. He/she won't leave and fully get on with their own life. ..........

This kitchen floor is that scenario/kid. Do you love it enough to work around it. Not a half measure of "maybe" we shall change it later. Does it stay, or does it go? Do you love it enough to do a soft white cabinet with simple soapstone tops? Beautiful warm brass hardware, and pendants? Do you love it enough to do a pale gray island with those soft white cabinets at the perimeter? I ask , because this is what you said to me on the phone:

"We are remodeling our kitchen and in that process have decided to keep
    it light. Fifteen years of dark greens, slates and granite were just
    too much. We had narrowed the cabinet choices down to white or a light
    naturally stained wood. Recently, my husband who has a love of all
    things natural, pushed for the second choice. I was happy........I couldn't picture................"

"I have already let go of my dream of a blue kitchen because of the slate floor."

Back to ME, and my money making hat.

In a word........'WHY?" In three words, WHY, WHY WHY? ..... and what sort of blue were you thinking...............?

• 5 years ago

Jan Moyer, You are amazing! This is the perfect analogy with really great suggestions! My husband and I are discussing this 'problem child' as I write this. As for the blue, your top, bottom, and the one with the blue island are spot on.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Lynn,

I told you.....the job is at least 30% SHRINK!! If you can't be a shrink, the job is rather......impossible?

Good luck and a very Happy Thanksgiving: to you and the DH.

• PRO
    5 years ago

PS............. You clearly want it LIGHT. " top, bottom island.... spot on " Light doesn't mean sterile, it doesn't need imply a lack of natural and organic materials.. Just sayin'...Hope you are doing this I love you honey, you love me honey, endeavor over a nice glass of wine!