SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mazsoladc

To paint or not to paint? Questions about wood paneling....

Mazsola
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi hi! I’m about to close on a big mid century home. It’s an awesome old house, and was built by a builder for his own family, so the original quality is amazing. But the house has hardly been touched since ’64 (except for an unfortunate early ‘90s kitchen update). So everything is dated. I have a decent renovation budget, but definitely not enough to do everything I want right away. And, I want to respect/restore the cool original vibe of the home, while making it a fresh, pleasant place for my family to live.

So, with that rambling intro, WHAT THE HECK DO I DO WITH ALL THIS PANELING?!?!

This is the entry. In the photo above, the front door is straight ahead, the kitchen (which is getting a white makeover) is on the right, and the family room is on the left. The picture below is the view of the entry from upstairs.

Here are two different angles of the family room.

My ideas are:

1) paint the family room white, but leave the entry paneling as is.

2) leave all the wood paneling, and instead focus on refinishing the floors. I like the cool black slate, but maybe bleach out, whitewash, or even paint the remaining wood floors white, to get rid of the yellowish tones and provide high-definition contrast with the dark walls.

3) whiten the floors, and also paint the entry paneling white, but leave the family room walls as they are. This is probably the most expensive option, and I might not be able to convince my husband about painting the entry walls. I could do it, it just means cutting some other corners, and letting him win some other design battles ;-)

In any case, I’m planning to replace the light fixtures in the entry, probably with a 4’ Moravian star chandelier, and then some sort of complimentary sconces - any ideas for those are also very welcome! I’m also considering putting a cool wallpaper on the entry ceilings - leaning toward a cobalt/navy with gold stars, like you would find in an old church. Finally, someone suggested we paint the handrail on the balustrade high-gloss black, to blend with/highlight the cool ironwork.

What sort of window treatments would you suggest in the family room? I’m leaning toward white drapes if we leave the wood, or simple blinds if we paint it. Thoughts? Other ideas? I’m not much of a designer, and MCM is totally new to me, so a project of this size is pretty overwhelming! Thanks for any help!!

Comments (24)

• nansaidh
    5 years ago

I'll leave this to some of the pros here but I have to say this is an amazing home! It doesn't look like crappy paneling, and the entry way is gorgeous! Perhaps find a happy medium of painting some of the paneling in family room. Good luck, it's actually a really beautiful home!

Mazsola thanked nansaidh
  • Sammy
    5 years ago

Is that even real wood? It looks like the plastic-y paneling we had in one of the houses from my youth, which isn’t meant to imply that your new home is in any way cheaply built; it was touted as being a quite on-trend, fashionable product...but plastic nonetheless. ;)

Mazsola thanked Sammy
  • Related Discussions

Question about Wood Panels on Fridge

Q

Comments (2)
    I don't have pics but there are pictures of the French Door bottom freezer with panels on the Kitchenaid web site.
    ...See More

Another Backsplash Wall Idea - Painted Wood Paneling

Q

Comments (2)
    Are you thinking of doing wood directly behind the range? That would be a huge fire hazard and against code. If you were to incorporate boards, you would need to pull off your window trim, then replace and the outlet boxes will need to be pulled forward (should be enough slack in the wiring). But, imo, I think you need to skip the boards - and do tile. I haven't been reading any of your threads on this - have you considered tiling that entire wall (to the ceiling and to each end of the wall)?
    ...See More

Wood paneling... to paint or not to paint

Q

Comments (17)
    I am not a lover of pannelling except for maybe real wood in library type setting. I think it would be best to remove the pannelling and do drywall all over where it is now. I also think waiting to do much is a good idea in a new home, you need to wait to see how the spaces function for you before doing anything major and that includes painting. BTW painter panels always look like painted panels and IMO not an attractive look . I think the flooring and the ceilings need a big amount of work so just spend some time living there and seeing how it works . I will sya 70s materials were not great so to keep anyo of them to honor the ers would not be at the top of my list. Waht I see in your ideas books is not hwta this space is right now so spend the next 3 months planning what needs doing .
    ...See More

Paint or stain wood paneled door and wood bar? Colors?

Q

Comments (8)
    I would paint the doors. Any color. Without seeing the entire room, or see the colors you are working with throughout the home, I won't suggest a color. I would Beef up the trim moulding around the door(s) keep it white as the featured trim in the room. With the highlighting of the trim/wainscotting, I'd paint the walls a hint of color to show off the features. some fabric on the windows for texture? I would leave the bar the natural wood tone you have going. shelving in the alcove, nice... I would personally go with a black or Ebony shelf, but same... I don't know the look you're going for. Keep the woods in the same family, Is the floor carpet, or an area rug? I'd work on the flooring, Bars and carpet don't go.
    ...See More
  • Mazsola
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It is real. My contractor said that it‘s a particularly valuable variety - Douglas Fir, I think? I don’t remember for sure. But it’s defintiely real, and quite lovely up close. Just not necessarily my taste right now.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I love the flooring! Especially on the second floor. And your entry looks grand - I'd be curious to see the view coming in the house. Since MCM is new to you, my advice is to hire a designer with experience respecting mid-century design. You have many renovating and decorating options before you and it would be a shame to do something that would permanently mar this house's original beauty.

ETA: The original Douglas Fir panelling is exactly the kind of reason I'd hire an expert. If it's not to your taste, perhaps there is a way to use it that would preserve its value?

Mazsola thanked tartanmeup
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

Put me in the paint it or pull it down column. The stain isn't even a nice color and it just makes the place look dark and uninviting.

Mazsola thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • PRO
    GannonCo
    5 years ago

Not sure any of that is mid century modern at all? Your talking a LOT of money to remove that paneling I'm hoping you took that into account with pricing? It looks like that house has gone through a couple renos or updates if it was mid century modern.

Hire a designer they are cheaper and more cost effective then you think. I have learned that redos and buying additional materials out ways just hiring someone to do it for me.

Mazsola thanked GannonCo
  • apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

Found the listing for this wonderful house. It needs an excellent designer to bring it back to life, starting with choosing how to refinish the floors and then using a coordinated paint color rather than the new light gray in some rooms. One room looks like it's already had its wood panelling painted over in the light gray, and it looks just like a cookie cutter builder house's room. This is a special house, don't paint it in 2005-2010's fading color trends.

If you remove a light switch cover from one of the panelled rooms, the color of the wood behind it may be closer to the original 1958 finish. The type of oil based varnish commonly used back then will have yellowed, and the wood underneath may have changed tone, too. I recommend hiring a designer with experience at restoration and who will have the professional contacts needed.

Mazsola thanked apple_pie_order
  • probookie
    5 years ago

Love the entry (including the slate) -- wouldn't touch a thing. Not wild about the upstairs hall floor. Not liking the dark paneling in the family room at all, but rather than paint it I would look into covering most of the walls w/ 1/4-inch drywall and paint that instead. I could live w/ the original wooden cupboards. What a great house!

Mazsola thanked probookie
  • Boxerpal
    5 years ago

I love your house! I would love to see more photos from the front entrance. My instinct says keep the wood. Especially where the slate floors are. The yellow gold floors sort of take away from the glorious wood paneling. There are lots of clever ideas that will be pouring in. I look forward to seeing what you do with the space. I have seen some paneling painted and it can be nice too. I just think that you have valuable pieces of wood that should not be destroyed. Rather find a way to sell it.

Mazsola thanked Boxerpal
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I would not have bought this house if I had disliked the paneling. It is a MAJOR part of the design of the house.

• Mazsola
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@wannabath maybe I’m using the wrong terminology? It may not be MCM, but except for the kitchen, it’s definitely original to 1964. We had the lovely good fortune of walking through the property with the grandson of the original owner/builder, who said virtually nothing had changed. He told us some incredible stories about the house - parties with Frank Sinatra and JFK Jr, and a pet tiger that lived in the pool cabana, until it tried to bite someone (because, Tiger ). He went to live at the Cleveland zoo after that....

• Mazsola
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@apple_pie_order what tremendously helpful ideas, re: original coloring. I probably will end up hiring a designer, but I’m intimidated at the process of finding the right person. So much of the professional design I see out there seems like it was done for someone of another generation, or someone without kids, or someone with a lot more money than I have.... At least in my market, designers seem to cater to socialites and multi-millionaires-turned-politicians. But I’m going to shake the tree to see if I can find someone who seems to understand me and my life.

• Mazsola
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@boxerpal and @probookie thank you! I think it’s a wonderful house, too, and feel really lucky to have found it! I’m a little overwhelmed at the prospect of putting it together in a way that works well for the space and for my family, but I’m sure we’ll figure it out. I’ll post more pictures, I’m sure!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago
    The wood color seems off as if it was refinished at one point. The cabinets in the family room (especially the corner cabinets) look like a later makeover as well. I would prefer the wood to all be a warmer tone versus the current blonde floors and walnut walls. Great house! Love the slate and floating staircase.
    Mazsola thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Mazsola
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@anglophilia what an unhelpful comment! I love the floor plan, the neighborhood, the giant closets, the square footage, the pool, the local schools, the easy commute and access to public transit, and lots of design details in the rooms I didn’t mention here. I feel like a lucky bandit to have found all that at a price I can afford (including a generous 6 figure reno budget) in one of the most expensive markets in the country. It‘s true that if I had unlimited funds, I might have been more particular about design things. But in my real world? I feel like I won the lottery! I’m excited to tackle the fun challenges this special house presents, and I’m perfectly confident that once I do make some choices and some changes, I am going to love the aesthetics as much as I love all the other aspects of the home. But you do you ;-)

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

It's possible to use the "find a pro" section of Houzz to look at some online portfolios of designers in your area by following the links to their websites. While the photos usually showcase expensive jobs, you can get an idea of who can work in a variety of styles. Putting together a Houzz ideabook with a couple dozen photos will help a designer see what you like. Look at Marimekko prints if you like vibrant colors- they'll stand up to the wood panelling. Ikea has some Marimekko-inspired prints. https://www.houzz.com/photos/query/marimekko/

https://www.marimekko.com/us_en/fabric

Mazsola thanked apple_pie_order
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

If you're excited about it, live in it for a year while you and your equally excited designer put your heads together to design an overall plan.

Mazsola thanked decoenthusiaste
  • queenvictorian
    5 years ago

That entry is absolutely exquisite! Whatever you do, keep that space the way it is. I do enjoy seeing well preserved specimens of high end mid century interiors.

I agree with others about living in the house for a while before you do anything. We bought a mostly unadulterated Victorian, and we had fantasies of getting a bunch of stuff done before moving in (5 months from close to move in), but ended up only refinishing some floors (low impact change). Now I'm super glad we didn't try to do anything - we're getting a sense of how we live in this house (it turns out we use the butler stairs A LOT, and my husband had wanted to tear them out!) and a sense of the small things that wouldn't have even occurred to us before we'd spent time living here, like the fact that we need to add a second ceiling light at the far end of the hall, that we need some more electrical outlets in the dining room, etc.

Mazsola thanked queenvictorian
  • annied75
    5 years ago

Congrats on your new-to-u home! As others have mentioned, I would definitely live in it for a while before making any changes (minus the 90s kitchen). I think once you add furnishings, then that will help ground the areas (as seen in the attached photo).

My husband and I owned a mid century home 7-8 years ago that we renovated. We left a lot of the enduring qualities -- metal railings, thick wood paneling in the office and even the bright blue and avocado plaid carpet in the basement. I almost cried when the woman who purchased it from us said that she was drywalling the office and recarpeting the basement!

Definitely think through your design choices and make careful decisions. Most of all, enjoy that beautiful home!

29 Ardmore Rd.- Kensington · More Info

Mazsola thanked annied75
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

It is for me a lot of wood but I also see those MCM bones hiding in there maybe just stripping the wood and havint it the natural color would be the answer, those shaker style front doors need to go for sure. I am with the comments about living in it for a while before doing anything drastic.Is there that pannelling in a smaller space you could maybe test color on if you want lighter wood?My biggest issue is the walls and the wood floors do not work together

Mazsola thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • cat_ky
    5 years ago

Congratulations on your new home. It will be beautiful. For now, I would clean the paneling, and clean the floors, and totally agree, live in it as is, for 6 months to a year, and by then, you may know exactly what you want. The paneling seems to fit your house, and once you are in it for a while, you will know if you want to keep it like it is. Better to know for sure, than to wish you had left it, once it is coated with paint, and its too late. Right now, you are excited and just want things done right away. Living with it, will change your mind on some things. Just enjoy it the way it is for now.

Mazsola thanked cat_ky
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 years ago

I'm not gonna lie. I really like all that wood!!!

Mazsola thanked Oak & Broad
  • lefty47
    5 years ago

HI -- This looks all original and good quality . You should tread carefully here with what is done . All that wood is actually back in for that style house . I would leave the wood the way it is and the floors also . Accent with black for the trim moldings and the stair hand railing and the ceiling and the front doors . Then add lots of white in the furnishings and drapes and rugs and adding textures in light rugs and drapes etc. Add some modern but mid century style lighting . What I am saying is , work with the wood paneling ... I think it is stunning . If the wood paneling was that cheap panel board , then I would say .... rip it all out !!

Mazsola thanked lefty47