SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjcardone

Paint or stain wood paneled door and wood bar? Colors?

Sara C
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm stumped on what to do with our double paneled front doors and the built-in wood bar (see pics). Everything used to be dark oak stain; we took the trim/walls/wainscoting (which runs around the whole room) to white (BM Simply White). I stripped the bar, it's stil a bit dark grained, could try to bleach or stain it. On the front doors I primed the doors to paint, then had guilt for 'hiding' the doors, and started to sand it back to raw wood only to find red/pink undertones that feel 'off'. It's so much work to get sand out the detail so I stopped to reflect on whether I should just paint the doors, and what color? Or keep going and stain it...what? I could paint the bar instead? Is it too much bare wood that doesn't match on one wall? I know the Houzz hive will have a good solution! Will be putting brass and wood wall-mount shelving in the alcove behind the bar - could go walnut or lighter shelving. Laminate flooring is going in wall-to-wall in a medium European oaky tone, sample propped against the wall. Help!

Comments (8)