SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jhoff86

Take out wood panels or paint? Drywall wet bar or create nook?

jhoff86
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Just got the contractor into the home I am purchasing and don’t know what direction to go in:

1. Should I keep the wood paneling that’s on the lower half of the wall, remove the painted grasscloth wallpaper and paint the wood paneling? Removing the grasscloth could damage the gypsum and there might not be anything behind the paneling so we could have to put fresh drywall in the entire living room.

2. Should I drywall over the wet bar in the right corner to get more wall space or create a reading nook for the kids with built in bottom shelves? We have a lot of space in the home and a bonus play room for the kids, but was thinking it might be visually nice to have a little nook there. On the other hand, it’ll be less expensive to drywall and it would be nice to have more wall space to hang some photos. We will be pulling out and drywalling that huge built in cabinet on the left.

We will be painting the room in a neutral white with griege undertones (something similar to BM White Dove). I like clean and simple rooms in soft, organic colors. Furniture will definitely be switched out to something along the Pottery Barn vibe. Love decorators like Amber Lewis and Studio McGee.

Comments (63)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm