SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

Pink Princess Philodendren....How To Get Best Color????

PoohBearLvr
5 years ago

Anyone know how to get the best color out of the Pink Princess philodendron? I have 1 HUGE one, about 6 feet tall, I am trying to take a 'top cut' off it. I have sphagnum moss wrapped around a bunch of the aerial roots, and wrapped it in Saran wrap.it is ready to come off, and i hope it will put out several side shoots and give me new young stems/plants from the cut area.

BUT the plant seems to have gone back to its all deep burgundy color, solid, no pink or spots or anything. I don't know if it was the Fla. heat, this summer, or what. I have had one of these plants nearly all my life. BUT they are usually small. This one is HUGE.

And I want to take that top cut off, and get it to grow, and well, sell it!! The prices of small ones on Ebay are astronomical! Like $50-75!! (Have these been hit by some disease and cant be bought anymore?? ) I cant believe the prices of these small plants. I got mine for like $10.

I have a much smaller one right next to it, they are outside in shade, under two wide leaved palm trees, and the small one is covered in hot pink leaves, spots , streaks of pink, some leaves half pink, half burgundy, etc... I don't get it. The huge one WAS covered in hot pink as well, now it is just dark burgundy, even leaves that WERE pink, have turned dark. Why? Never seen this before.

So.....what conditions makes them put out the pink leaves, and all that expensive colorful variegation? I always have them with the pink leaves, and great variegation. But now I have this huge one that has gone dark, but is growing and blooming! Yet right next to it, is a hot pink leaved one. I dont get it. Any ideas???

Comments (110)

Sponsored