SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Best Bitones and Bicolors of 2018

shive
5 years ago

Post your best three bitones and bicolors and any runners up here. The next category will be polychromes.

These were my three best:

Simply Charming was my prettiest bitone.

Wizard's Wish in the foreground of my late bloomers bed

Royal Jester was the best budded.

Runners up:

Mississippi Magistrate

Westbourne Good Old Days

Trimmer Seedling "Laughing Hyena"

Debra

Comments (32)

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Celeste - I love the color on Mystery Being Written, and Malaysian Marketplace does have a very pretty face!

• Related Discussions

Bi-tones are a second love...

Q

Comments (35)
    Yeah Bob - DISCOUNTS??? Seems like I prefer the underdog, thats ok, more for me! It does not get quite as cold here in MD as it does in zone 5. Where at in zone five are ya? So far Banned in boston is doing well here. You see why it got its name. It dosen't like the cold in Boston. Just kidding, don't know why its named that, but it makes sense, it dosen't do well in cold climates. They are all beautiful Bob, you are good at what you do! -Jessica
    ...See More

four variations on lavender-red bitones

Q

Comments (5)
    Last year I bought a Nikon D40 and didn't discover until bloom season that it didn't capture purples and blues with the accuracy that we need for irises. I was really unhappy. Fortunately I was able to sell it to someone who didn't need that capacity and buy myself a Rebel. This trip was the tryout trip for the new camera. Most of these photos were taken in full sun, between 10 and 4. Not usually the best time for iris photos, but aside from the white areas (which got totally blasted) the color came out really well.
    ...See More

Show us your bi-colored & multi-colored roses

Q

Comments (56)
    seil - what a sweet bloom on Tattooed Lady. Being a tattooed lady myself, I might need to find a spot for that one! msjam2 - your photos are beautiful. I second Sara Ann about Distant Drums. I have one coming this spring as well. I also really like your raised stone border... was that DIY? I'd love to do something like that for my own beds! Karen
    ...See More

Top Bud Numbers for Daylilies 2018

Q

Comments (33)
    Debra all your bud kings / queens are beautiful too! Love that August Cherry pic! And always love the bicolor / bitone look! I don't know if I am gonna count, my days of 35-40 buds are gone, they are so crowded, and I have never had so few buds on plants as this year. Maybe Lullaby Baby as it builds buds and kinda always is among my best. And Isle of Patmos looks pretty well-budded. I can name the worst though, Berry Delicious - 1 scape with 2 buds, and Nature's Crown - 4 scapes with 1 bud per scape (it dropped all the others as it usually does)
    ...See More
  • mantis__oh
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Duel Zone, while still nice, had shorter scapes than usual.

Stolen Treasure had a great year when many others did not.
    While not listed as a bitone, Strawberry Alarm Clock frequently looks like one.
    Lacy Reinke did well, but bud count is limited.
    Please Say Yes, like many others, did not have a really good year.
    A final runner-up is Ross's Cottage Gift--attractive, but performance still somewhat untested.

Clown Parade had scapes a bit below the foliage this year.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Not very many bicolored daylilies here and I really like them, hmmmm......I guess that means adding to my list. My favorite was a first time bloomer this season, Sea Dragon. It’s a show stopper in my garden.

Another new one, Stephanie Returns. This is a lovely small flowered repeat bloomer that did great it’s first season here.
    Howdy is an oldie here growing in too much shade. It still reaches 36” in the garden, only four inches shy of registered height.
    I had cataract surgery today, so vision isn’t ideal yet. I found one more specimen I like. This one is tan and black and named Jack.
    Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Don’t know if it’s my vision but Clown Parade looks pink sometimes and other times orangey/red. What do most of you see in your garden?

Celeste,I love your Westbourne Good Old Days.

Debra, Simply Charming is really lovely

Sherry

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

I like your adorable doggie bitone, Sherry! Too cute for words! Simply Charming is perfectly gorgeous! Malaysian Marketplace and Duel Zone are lovely too. Stephanie Returns appeals to me also. SR's coloring combo is so interesting! I keep coming back to look at her.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    5 years ago

Great shot of Wizard's Wish and Simply Charming Debra......Mantis: Couldn't find any information on Ross's Cottage Gift on the NGA gardening data base. Is it registered?.......Sherry: Sea Dragon is always a stunner in your garden, and your picture of Stephanie Returns sent me to the data base. A pretty one.....Hope you heal right up from the cataract surgery. Are you having to do all those drops? DH had it done a couple years ago and he was thoroughly sick of doing drops by the end of it all.............Maryl

• celeste/NH
    5 years ago

Sherry, it's not your vision....lol. You are correct. Clown Parade sometimes looks more reddish and other times more pink. In my garden it seems temperature-related. When it's hot it's more reddish orange, and cool weather brings out the pink. I found another picture of it where it's pink...…

• organic_kitten
    5 years ago

I have a few of these .

I may have already posted Clown Parade, but it is my favorite:

One that blooms early and often Colorado Moonstone:

Border Crossing

Bass Gibson...good rebloomer here
    Rocks Cry Out is one of my smaller blooms, but I like it:
    And that is probably moe than it will post

kay

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago

Maryl, Ross is the hybridizer. The cultivar is Cottage Gift.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    5 years ago

Lovely blooms! I love bicolors.

Sherry, your doggie bicolor is adorable.

Simply Charming and Royal Jester are two of my favorites. Malaysian Marketplace has always been a favorite of mine but it just didn't like our garden.

I like Stephanie Returns. Reverse bicolors are sort of rare.

Here are some of our best.

Last Man Standing is a great performer and a late bloomer to boot.

Patricia Ann's Calliopsis is, in my opinion, the prettiest bicolor in the garden.

Sonoran Desert Rose doesn't show its bitone characteristics much in this picture. It was one of the best performers for us this summer.

Here are the runners up.

Rosemary Mussar is doing well for us.

Tears of a Clown is an offspring of Clown Parade and, even though it is new to the garden, looks quite promising.

Sihir came from Canada this spring and still managed in our record-breaking hot summer to produce several really nice blooms.

That's my six.

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sherry - That doggie bicolor is the cutest! Sea Dragon is lovely too!

Mantis - Cottage Gift is lovely. Strawberry Alarm Clock is looking good too! Hanson sent me that one as a bonus this fall. I wonder if it will be a bitone for me. A lot of my pinks are when it gets really hot.

Nancy - Patricia Ann's Calliopsis is a stunner! Who's the hybridizer on that one?

Kay - Your clump shots of Clown Parade are always excellent!

I forgot about one that bloomed and rebloomed well here.

Innocent Discovery

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Nancy, I’m a Patricia Ann,s Calliopes fan, it’s gorgeous!

Maryl, I am in eye drop H..ll Four times a day for two weeks. Now I can read street signs again, wouldn’t drive at night anywhere that was unfamiliar.

Sherry

• daylilybedmaker
    5 years ago

I always find the bitones and bicolors to be wonderful additions to the garden. They just add a little more variety.

Here were my top three this past year:

GEORGE JETS ON: Great little flower that puts on a long blooming show in the garden.

CLOWN PARADE: Not the best picture, but still a fantastic performer.

EVENING EYESHADOW: Great bloom. Old King Cole is one of its parents.

Runners up to follow

David

• daylilybedmaker
    5 years ago

Here are my runner ups:

STARTLING CREATION: Nice and tall. Easily recognizable in the garden.

MABOU: Makes large fans. Good performer.

PEPPERMINT PINWHEEL: Similar to MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE. More vigorous, but I like MM more.

More runner ups to follow.

David

• daylilybedmaker
    5 years ago

More Runner Ups

SOMETHING DIFFERENT: A reverse bitone/bicolor. The sepals are darker than the petals. I need to add more of these to the garden.

WREN'S SONG is a very good bitone. It is taller than registered.

CAROLINA BOUND: I like this one. I am hoping for more scape to fan production. I just moved it last fall, so I am hoping for an increase of fan production.

A few more runner ups to follow.

David

• daylilybedmaker
    5 years ago

More runner ups:

CHARLOTTE ROYCROFT: Vigorous grower.

GIZMO: Great mini bloom.

MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE: Great looking bloom, but slow, and I mean slow to increase. Color is fantastic.

More to follow

David

• daylilybedmaker
    5 years ago

I did not realize I had so many in this category and I like them all.

HEMAN: Vigorous grower. The sepals vary from having a lighter shade of the petals to being all yellow.

PARTY PINAFORE: I love this one. Blooms over a long period of time. Somewhat slow to increase. It may be location.

DRAGON FANG: Great performer in the garden.

The next ones are arriving this coming spring.

David

• daylilybedmaker
    5 years ago

Here are two that are coming in the Spring of 2019:

SOUTHERN COTTON

LAVENDER FLYTRAP

That is all for me.

David (Zone 5)

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Rocks Cry Out, Tears of a Clown, and George Jets On are my picks. Southern Cotton looks nice too!

David, my Party Pinafore has also been slow to increase. I have had it for 4 years now and it is still only a triple fan size. But I love its blooms. I look forward to them every year.

I looked all over my pics and found only a few bitones and bicolors.

Stargate Angel Wings

Shards of Kryptonite

Rosy Spiketail

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

My runners up are Watchtyl Lavender Blue

Stargate Portal X RFK

An interesting bicolor seedling with a large green triangular throat from Katisue Herrington X Senator Edward Kennedy though the form can be better.

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

David - I'm looking forward to seeing your Southern Cotton in the future. I tried to buy that one this fall, but it was sold out.

Karen - I like your Stargate Portal seedling!

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Karen, that’s an interesting seedling, I hope you show it to us again next season. I also like Stargate Angel Wings.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

So many nice ones! Malaysian Marketplace would be my top pick and Clown Parade second. Here's mine:

Karen's Curls blooms well every year, one of my top performers over all. Tall, well budded, puts on a great show. Its only weakness is that it leans some.

Art Gallery Expressionism had a wonderful year, and it usually does well.

this unknown seedling that I got in an exchange years ago has done well even in lots of shade. This year it was in a top spot and became a top bloomer.

Runners up to follow.

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

Runners up--I will narrow them down as there were about 8 or more that did decently:

I am picking the ones that I noticed the most or that are my favorites.

a beautiful Noid. We've discussed what this may be in the past. There are several that are close, not sure if it is any of them. I call it a thistle-lavender blend.

Pony

Christopher Russell

I'll stop here. Things are going well with the uploads, don't want to risk doing too much.

• lilykate7a
    5 years ago

In reviewing my photos, I find I do not have a lot of this type of lily. And no good pics of the ones I do have. Pony is in a nondescript and forgotten part of the garden. I had Malaysian Marketplace at one time but don't think it survived-Celeste's picture of it is really pretty. My Wren's Song has a more saturated color and I never thought about it fitting this category. Kay enabled me to get Clown Parade this year with her reviews and photos of it. I like the photos of Carolina Bound, Westbourne Good Old Days, Simply Charming, and Mississippi Magistrate (maybe I need that one!) Southern Cotton is interesting as the colors do not seem to fit the name. At least I never saw southern cotton look like that!!!!

Kate

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    5 years ago

Debra, the hybridizer of Patricia Ann's Calliopsis is Donald Sarrazine from New Haven, Indiana. Bob saw a picture of Gary Lynn's Calliopsis and like the looks of it. He tracked this guy down and, even though he doesn't sell anymore, he agreed to sell Bob a few daylilies.

Nancy

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

Whoa! How could I forget Flutterbye? Another reliable bloomer, big shows, etc. I usually just think of it as Lavender, but the sepals are a bit lighter often.

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Pony is very pretty! I like the cream contrasting with the dark pink.

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago

Heavenly Bombshell --okay this past year

• celeste/NH
    5 years ago

I just found out while browsing the database that PINK BRAID is a bicolor. I have grown it for a few years now and never knew this! Some days it looks like a bitone and some days, just a really frilly pretty pink!

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago

Birthday Wishes is a bicolor. I have no evaluative comment at this point.