SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmama_gw

Contemplating Kitchen Remodel

midwestmama
5 years ago

Hello,

I recently bought a house. It was built in 1981. Many things are original. Much of the kitchen, especially. I have always disliked the kitchen and it weighs on my mind a lot. I was going to delay remodeling it, but I am really considering doing it sooner than later now. I am looking for input.

I will attach a layout. I will also attach pictures. I have already pulled off much of the wallpaper in frustration as it was just too overwhelmingly bad. My refrigerator is currently in the garage. I am thinking about taking it down to the studs. I dislike the grooves in the wood floor, they are deep and deliberate and catch crumbs terribly. I dislike the soffits, they crowd me. I would like my cabinets to reach the ceiling. Instead of the peninsula, I was thinking about an island that was parallel to the wall with the sink.

I am a single mom. My 4 sons (20, 16, 14, and 10) plus 3 year old grand daughter live with me. My eldest and his daughter are here 1/2 time. My 16 year old moves to college this coming summer. They eat like wild animals. Constantly needing more food!!! I would prefer a larger oven, we have a double wall oven and it is small. I'm not a fancy cook, but would rather have a traditional gas stove/oven combination. I had a commercial style double fridge and freezer at my previous home and I miss that.

I don't want a super trendy kitchen or worry about what the newest ideas are. Though I do appreciate convenience and efficiency. I usually prefer painted cabinets. I'd probably do stainless appliances. I'd like to keep my dishwasher, it is relatively new and nice. It and the window are the only things that stay. I'd like to keep the location of the sink where it is as it does make sense under the window and the plumbing is there. The only place I see the fridge fitting is where the wall oven is now. Then the oven could either go where the fridge is now or to the left of the sink.

What I dislike about mine now is: Cupboards block the view to eating area. Flooring catches so many crumbs. Dishwasher is so hard to unload as when it is open it blocks several cupboards where dishes go. Not enough drawers for cupboards. Pantry is so deep I lose food in it. The stove is difficult to clean. Kitchen is dark and closed in. Lots of display space but I don't have lots to display.

What I like... The greenhouse window. The bay window. The rest of the house.

I would really like to keep the costs down as much as possible... Wouldn't we all? I can realistically only spend about 18K or less, including appliances. I'd really really like to get it in under that if possible. I also have a real love of Ikea kitchens. I'm 4 hours from Ikea.

Ok... I'm really really open right now. And trying to decide if this is right yet or if I should wait. I do have a high school graduation party here in late May. I didn't clean for pictures, so please ignore the clutter.

Comments (17)