SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaynees

Contemplating small home addition

jaynees
12 years ago

For years my husband and I planned on building a new home - we even bought the 1/2 acre lot on a quiet country road 6 years ago, excited that someday in the future we'd be building our dream home!

It's now 2012 and our kids (ages 8 and 7) love our current neighborhood, the community pool, the school they attend, the friends they have just down the street. If we build on the land we own, they'll leave community amenities behind, they'll switch to a new school, and the street we'll be moving to doesn't have too many kids to play with.

My husband and I both like our current house (it's the HOA we can't stand and the main reason we want to build). We also are NOT excited about the thought of fixing up this house, trying to sell it in a flat market, and all the drama that comes from building, and then moving. So we're now open to all options - building the dream house, buying a pre-existing house that might better suit our needs, or simply putting on a small addition to our current home.

The main thing we don't like about our current home is the kitchen and eating area. The kitchen is definitely better than our old house, but still not quite what my husband, an avid foodie and home chef, would like.

We have a 12x20 concrete patio in the back, accessible through the breakfast area, and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on our converting that into a finished space to be used as the primary eating area, and expanding the kitchen into the current breakfast area. It wouldn't be a three-season type of room - it would be a true addition used daily for family meals and nightly homework sessions.

My only question relates to the size of the addition - our table seats only 6 people, and we wouldn't be buying a new set just for the new area. That would mean a LOT of open space in that 12x20 room (really, the dining set would only take up 12x10).

So what to do with the rest of the space? We don't need a living room area because we already have the family room and a formal living room. We don't need office space because we already have an office space.

I suppose an option would be NOT to finish off the entire patio area, but just use half of it - 12x10 - for the eating area and keep the remaining 12x10 as a small patio.

Any ideas/thoughts would be welcome!

Comments (18)