SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ria_malloy

Why are bathroom vanities so high?

Ria Malloy
5 years ago

I've noticed in hotels and when friends have upgraded their bathrooms that the vanities are so much higher than the ones in our home. We started a DIY reno of our guest bathroom and selected a 48" wide vanity at Lowe's. Before bringing it home, I looked up its height online and found that it is 5 inches higher than our existing cabinet base. I am only 4'11" tall. A 36" high vanity with counter is too high for me to wash my face without drenching the front of my clothes unless I use a step stool. I chatted with a Lowe's rep and they said I could special order a 29.5" high vanity at no extra charge. I've looked online for a 29.5" or 30" high vanity but results give me that width or a 'floating' type vanity. What's the deal with the standard height vanity being 32-43"? Yes, we'll probably special order from Lowe's but we're on a deadline (of course) and need it right away. I can't be alone in this dilemma. People tend to shrink in height with age and stability can be an issue as well. A step stool is not a safe option. How do other people deal with these tall vanities without paying a huge amount of money for a custom cabinet?

Comments (15)