SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_51572890

1920 Foursquare Kitchen remodel

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We bought this house almost a year ago. We knew when we bought it that we would do a fairly extensive remodel of the kitchen/full bathroom/sitting room on the main floor. We wanted to live in the house for a period of time so we could make better decisions on what exactly we wanted to do. Due to the housing market in this area there wasnt before nor is there now any house we would consider buying instead of this one. We are approaching this adventure with only our wishes and convenience and love of cooking as our primary concern. I will post a graph paper drawing of the current floor plan.

We have considered staying within the current footprint of the house but we also are considering adding on all across the back of the house as that is the only way to increase the sitting room ,which we really desire.

We are retired . We both cook and bake a lot. We have family get togethers regularly and everyone cooks. Our grandson loves to cook as well and is here helping quite often.

We make 3 meals a day. We make all our bread and pasta and do wok cooking many times a week. We cook for others as gifts as well.

We are going to have a 36” Bluestar gas cooktop, we would rather have a separate single oven instead of a range and are looking at the Bluestar French Door electric. We want a 30” single bowl sink . If we keep this footprint we will get a counterdepth fridge of some type but if we go with an addition we will get the Twins by Frigidaire.. have had before and love them.

Hopefully this is enough to get started. We can change anything and everything but the bathroom location but bathroom will have shower not tub and can be re-arranged . The kitchen radiator can be converted to baseboard fan heat and windows can be changed. Mudroom is too small to help with kitchen increase and we are considering having the bathroom door open into it since it’s awful having it open into the sitting room. The closet in the dining room can be reopened into the kitchen as a walkway as it used to be in a previous floor plan of the house. It could also be a pantry on the kitchen side or... it is 5 feet wide inside the space . The PO closed it off and tore out the original kitchen and builtins. I can post pictures of the current kitchen and adjoining spaces. Thank you for any and all suggestions and I welcome questions.

If we do an addition it would go North into the backyard. Nothing can go East. It would extend 8' out from the current sitting room and 12 ft out from the mudroom and the mudroom would become a breezeway area with the bathroom door opening into it . Hope this makes sense and I look forward to comments. I tried to post this earlier and it never showed up.

I wanted to add if we do the addition the current sitting room would become the new kitchen and the current kitchen would become the sitting room ...it wouldn't be much bigger than the one we have now but with the breezeway /mudroom to the extended addition part with more seating out there it would be OK and we are good with that. We would have slider french doors into the back garden area. from the addition.

Comments (14)

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are some current pictures of the areas discussed above:

looking into kitchen with DR doorway to left and stairs to basement to right mudroom is through the door straight ahead. Unvented gas cooktop ...ugh.

Looking back from mudroom door toward the fridge and oven/microwave. Note the 7' span of windows and radiator. We have the island as there is NO room to make anything otherwise.

Mudroom is only access to back of house/parking. It is 6'3" length by 5'6 wide.It was converted from an old porch long ago and the wall in the kitchen proper is loadbearing.

Dining room closet to right in pick....was access into the kitchen in the distant past and can be re-opened. and widened to almost 5' for access to kitchen . It has matching tile in it from the kitchen remodel by PO. All tile will be removed and original floor restored if possible or matched to the original wood floors. Sitting room straight ahead.

Bathroom door in the sitting room...you can see why this is NOT acceptable...it is a full bathroom and we will keep it as such but change to a no curb shower and can move the toilet and sink as we please.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bumping to see if anyone is interested in helping with my plan. Thank you .

• Related Discussions

Cabinet Remodel of a kitchen in a 1913 foursquare

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks, arlosmom, for sharing your photos. You have a house with so much character! Loved seeing your pics. I will eventually get photos uploaded to share also. I can see why your cabinet is unmovable. I believe ours could be relocated, but it's large (9'x5'2"). I have also seen Crown Point cabinets, and have grown fond of them. So your idea to paint them yourself is a great idea, and something I would not have considered until now. I like Omega cabinets also. I have also checked on Wood-mode, but I think the price would be well over our budget. I assume you are adding on from the wall with your kitchen windows? or are you adding on to the back side? It looks like you have lots of yard space. We do, but it's all towards the back yard, which makes our addition plans difficult. It's fun to have so many options with kitchen cabinets, but it can be so stressfull at the same time. cafemocha
    ...See More

1920's cottage--1920's kitchen with Hoosier?

Q

Comments (29)
    Well, it's too bad she's not ready to move on things yet. Even without fori's amazing range. BTW, did you know those sell for 6 to 8K at the specialty shops on this coast, fori? You could have a second career. In just one day I was able to dig up these--wouldn't they make a darling kitchen? You'd have to have a larger companion or two made to the side piece, but how Florida these colors are. Range (considering electric as well as gas, since gas availability varies in those neighborhoods--not worth it if she has to foot the bill to run service, and unfortunately a lot of the area is the kind of neighborhood where people would steal propane). I just lost my heart to the color scheme here, although we could have something else redone in the same buttercream+sea green, I suppose: Hoosier with side (original paint). Small, but with a repro side or two, could work: Reproduction cast iron sink. There are lots of old ones, but there was a problem with getting iron reporcelained recently, so this would be the fallback if we can't find a real one in good condition or a steel one that can be redone. Would love an old one in buttercream yellow, though. Not bad for less than a day's worth of looking around, and the total cost of everything including modern fridge and re-enameling a vintage table to match would be under 5K, even with repairs and shipping.
    ...See More

Foursquare Kitchen Remodel - still no good design

Q

Comments (20)
    Wish I could draw it and show you the changes but here's an idea that popped into my mind... Let's start at the door leading to the deck. When you come in immediately you will see a door to your left which will be the half bath...on the right where you have the radiator and the dining room door there will be a mudroom/cubby section...just a small bench and hooks/cubbies for all those things you need a place to store...so essentially we have closed the dining room door off and moved the "kitchen wall" out the depth necessary to accomodate the half bath...just a pedestal sink and toilet. So when you come in the back door you will see the bathroom door on left, mud area on right and a framed opening leading to the kitchen. Take out those windows! Say goodbye. Open up the entire wall of the dining room which will hopefully have it's own window and allow natural light to come in. Use the new wall you've created by bumping out for half bath and use that space for cabinetry as well as the space where the windows used to be. Put a 74" island or as big as you can fit...you can store your dishwasher/sink and drawers as well as having an arched bar overhang for additional breakfast eating. This portion can hang over into the dining room if need be...use the dining room as your main area now for eating and have an open concept. Have a wide enough opening for the dining room to make it around the island (42 inches usually) but still leave enough wall to put your fridge on that side wall or double ovens or a floor to ceiling pantry...for that you only need 26 inches plus room for trim on your cased opening... Put in 6 recessed cans with 2 pendant lights over your island and you'll never miss those two windows... HTH! Tara
    ...See More

1920s Bungalow remodel....what color cabinet hardware??!

Q

Comments (9)
    I have a 1937 cottage, and trying to retain the vintage feel. I've done a bit of researching on this very topic! No glaze on the cabinets, but chrome or nickel was used very often for kitchens and baths, even if the door hinges are brass, and very dark and aged (mine are too!) So you have lots of knob options.. just the hard part is deciding!! Chrome, nickel, brass, ORB, iron, glass, and ceramic will all work! I *think* I decided on chrome.. and we just ignore the door hardware! Seriously.. I have looked through 1/2 million kitchen pictures and you don't really notice the different finishes unless you really are actually looking for it!
    ...See More
  • Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

I'm not clear on your goals for the remodel, and I think everything has to stem from your goals. I mean, do you need more storage? Just a new look? Better flow? Goals!

Here's an attempt at a plan:

- Open a new bathroom entrance from the mudroom ... lose the tub (who's going to take a shower in this location? You have no bedroom nearby.) The negative, of course, is that now everyone has to walk through the kitchen to reach the bathroom. But it would be convenient upon returning home.

- Place a nice L-shaped pantry in the same space ... put a pegboard on the wall that'll fall "behind the door". I had this set-up in a rental house once, and it made the bath very private.

- Go with a second storage closet across from the pantry; this might need to be a shallow closet. OR make this another kitchen cabinet /drop space, which would be a great place to set down groceries and sort them before bringing them into the pantry. Between these two storage areas, you'll have loads of space for groceries and cooking equipment.

- Because the door is pretty close to the right-hand wall, keep that space open for coat hooks.

- Make your nice window even nicer by making it a bay. This'll bring in even more natural light and give you the feeling of a larger room without the cost of an addition. Since your sink is the most used item in the kitchen, I'd go with bigger than a 30" sink here.

- Put your refrigerator and oven on the wall near the stairs.

- Make the smaller "L" your baking area. If possible, put in a pop-up shelf for the Kitchen Aid mixer (which I see now lives precariously on a shelf in the mudroom) ... if that can't happen, maybe it could live on a metal cart in the smaller pantry closet, and it could be wheeled out when needed.

- I'd definitely lose the closet and make a pass-through serving area to connect the kitchen and the dinning room. I'd have lower cabinets on both sides of this pass-through (keep seldom-used platters and storage dishes on the dinning room side).

- With the island gone, you'll have ample space for the two of you to share the space.

- I couldn't angle the cabinets at the kitchen entrance, but I'd angle them just like you have them now.

User thanked Mrs Pete
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

The PO closed it off and tore out the original kitchen and builtins.

A pox upon them.

I love your decorating style. Although I like the island, I also like MrsPete's suggestions, especially the pass-through, which could mimic period built-ins.

User thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I guess I didn't come across very clearly ! We really do want to move the kitchen to the sunroom area since we need a lot more space. There isn't any counter space to speak of at all in the current kitchen. The oven and fridge are already on the wall where the stairs are...they go down behind that South wall. Also the cooktop HAS to move to an exterior wall so we can vent the new Bluestar with high powered vent over it.

If we gutted the current kitchen we could move the cooktop to the wall where the radiator and windows are and put a small window on either side of the cooktop backsplash. This still wouldn't get us more countertop space and the island is way too big for the current kitchen and looks bad in there.

If we open the walk through where the closet is then we get great circulation and we could put 12" or 18" deep floor to ceiling storage on that North wall where the cooktop currently is.

If we do the big addition then I get way more storage and the bathroom would be in the " hallway" between the addition and the current kitchen which would become a sitting room /library.

I will post a pic of the potential floor plan of the addition so you can see what I mean and critique it.

Thank you both for looking and hopefully I will come across more clearly so I can get some much needed help.

You can see that the current sitting room would become the kitchen and extend out 8' more to the North. It would be a "G" shape kitchen with a peninsula. There would be a lot of storage for all my dishes and crystal which are all in the basement in boxes. A wet bar with sink and under counter fridge on the North wall of the existing bathroom. The wall running from West to East is 28' . We would have the existing mud room as a walkway into what would be a sittingroom/library/office...whatever....we would widen the doorways from the current DR so that we would have lots of circulation to the bathroom and around the kitchen.

I hope this makes it all clearer .THANK YOU .

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

My layout started as hand-drawn on a graph, too. I like the deeper-than standard counters, but if one small square=6", you don't have enough space for an island--unless that's a mobile cart.

I see the fridge/freezer on the West wall, with the cooktop on the North wall. Will the ovens, DW, and sink be on the West wall? Will the peninsula have seating?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

Is this the new addition kitchen and dining layout? (on a grid where one square=6") I didn't include uppers or windows. The gray area is the space where the cabinets are pulled out for deeper counters, or extra depth for custom deep drawers.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

You're welcome. I took 2' off the plan, but I added an overhang to the back of the peninsula. For baking, I think you need a deeper counter on the peninsula, and it will be nice to have a hang-out space for kids/grandkids/guests. Can you use the sideboard instead of the coffee/wet bar? I agree the wet bar is perfectly placed against the shared plumbing wall, so if you can work it into the budget, I'd add the extra 2' or 18" to accommodate the sideboard on the East wall.

Even with the 8" filler (pull-out?), the fridge is outside the max NKBA recommended distance from the cooktop, but I think you are willing to accept that, since you have a well thought out plan. You can use the mobile cart as landing space, especially before starting a big baking project, then wheel it all over to the prep areas. You could even incorporate the cart into the pantry wall, to mimic a Hoosier or Sellers cabinet.

I adjusted the sink to 30", which gives you space for a narrow drawer base to the right. Normally I'd use that space for a trash pull-out, but you have no other convenient spot for unloading flatware from the DW. Also dishes will have to go above the DW and sink, to try to keep them out of the prep area between the sink and cooktop. I drew 15" deep uppers, with a plate rack over the sink--since you have an older house, I think that would be perfect, and you could mount it high enough to give you some head space. Keeping dish storage above, and to the left of the sink, will make it easier for a helper to gather dishes to set the table, without venturing too far into the prep and cooking space. ETA, you could also keep dishes in the drawer below the ovens. If you plan a window over the sink, it could be from counter height, to just under the plate rack, or a backsplash window, spanning from the oven cabinet to the corner. (Or a combination of both.)

Trash is beside the cooktop, and you can use the drawer above it for potholders or rolled goods. I drew a 36" cooktop with a 42" hood, but you can adjust that to your needs, and adjust the trash pull-out and spice drawer widths accordingly. The widths of the drawers on the peninsula can also be adjusted to your needs. You'll have plenty of space for mixing bowls, pots and pans, and bakeware, in the two super susans and the wide drawers below the cooktop. Of course, a stand mixer in a pretty color can stay on the counter. :)

I drew windows on each side of the hood, but if you need more upper storage (and plan the window/s for the sink wall), those can be omitted, or again, backsplash windows. The one on the left could turn the corner from the sink wall, and to make them symmetric, the one on the right could extend across part of the seating overhang. I left out doors and windows in the dining area, until you make the final decision about the extra sf.

I am so excited about this kitchen in one of my favorite style homes, I had to check in early this morning! Wouldn't it be wonderful to celebrate your home's 100 year BD with a brand new kitchen? I hope you'll keep us updated along the way.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is the latest iteration, I am really pleased with this one.

It's a little hard to see but the top is West....Twins, then ovens, pull out trash 18",36" sink and DW drawers. Then 42" of countertop then Bluestar with 42" hood and 42 " more countertop. Will have a 3'x6' island with all drawers facing the West wall . No overhang don't need stools. All lower drawers and all open shelves. The West wall of the bathroom is floor to ceiling pantry cabs. the North wall of the bathroom is a wetbar with undercounter fridge and sink. will have to work on this as thinking that is where the breakfast stuff will be such as coffee pot and toaster and a tiny microwave. I am so glad to have more eyes on this.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

I would try to keep the DW out of the primary prep corner--other than that, I think you have a winner. Dishes/flatware can be kept in drawers in the island. I drew 24" deep drawers in the island, but if you want them deeper than standard, you could make the extra inches on the back storage for trays. Either add doors, or leave open for display. Or, make the island 32" deep, and add the extra inches back to the aisles.

The aisles are tight, but not less than the NKBA recommended minimums.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

WOW! Thank you !! I love the way it looks when you use the program to actually show it all. Thank you so much. I was hopeful that 42" was enough. We had less than that on 2 sides of our movable island in our last kitchen and one of those short sides was the DW/Sink side. We did fine. I really appreciate all you did. I will post back when it is completed....likely this Summer. We are on a waiting list for the best contractor in the area and I am in no hurry.....well I wasn't till I saw your rendering LOL !

• Buehl
    5 years ago

Sorry it took so long! (Family & work!)

Here's my idea working off your latest layout.

Before I begin, I wanted to note a few things:

• One of your layouts shows the top (North) wall at 28'. However, based on the actual "squares", you only have 26'. I used the 26-foot measurement. (It's the "November 3, 2018" layout, 5th comment.)
    • You did not account for wall thicknesses for the bathroom walls. So, I assumed that the bathroom is:
      -- 6'0" wide (East/West), including the bathroom walls
      -- 6'3" deep (North/South), including the bathroom walls – I took this from a note on one of your layouts
    • It does not appear that you accounted for counter overhangs in your layouts (1.5" counter overhangs in front of the base cabinets)
    • Between the bathroom walls and the counter overhangs, I think you have less to work with than you show.
    • You're keeping the Dining Room, correct? I'm asking because a 36"D table is not really deep enough for dinner use. It's fine for a Kitchen Table used for quick meals or snacks, but it's not deep enough to hold serving dishes, etc., as well as table settings. It's also too shallow if anyone is tall or has long legs. (We learned both the hard way!) It also has tight aisles on the North and East sides.

Layout (See the bottom of the post for the Zone Map and alternate table):

(If needed, select the image to see a larger version.)

Detailed analysis:

Overall, I didn't change much. However, there are a few key items:

• I added a 7" bumpout to the window wall. I originally had deeper counters overall on that wall, but the aisles were just too narrow.
      -- When there's a DW (or DW Drawers) on an aisle, IMHO, I think the narrowest functional aisle width is 45" to allow someone to pass between an open DW door/drawer and the island. It also might allow you to have the dish storage drawers in the island open at the same time as the DW Drawers are open. (More later.)
      -- See MamaDadaPaige's and ErikaNH's windows in this thread: [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/counter-height-window-pictures-please-dsvw-vd~2484108[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/counter-height-window-pictures-please-dsvw-vd~2484108)
    • The cabinets and counters along the cooktop wall are 3" deeper than standard. This allows more workspace and storage.
    • I added a 9" wide Utility cabinet between the refrigerator/freezer space to ensure you can open the freezer or refrigerator door fully. If you don't need it, then you can add the 9" to the 15" cabinet/pullout next to the sink and put in a 24" cab/drawer base instead.
    • I added depth to the island – if you're going to be rolling out dough or doing other tasks that need a lot of space, I think you will appreciate deeper workspace.
    • It also allowed the addition of more cabinet space – for the extra dishes and crystal. (You can finally get them out of the boxes in the basement!)
    • With that added island depth, a seat could be added, so I added one seat to the island in case you want to sit down while working at some point. It's configured so it doesn't interfere with the Tea/Coffee/Beverage Center since the aisle between the Center and island is only 42" wide.
    • I also added an 8' row of 18" deep cubbies with seats/benches and drawers under the seats/benches. It could be just one long row, but I thought 2 to 4 cubbies might be nice for some separation for each person. I also thought the cubbies would look nicer than just hooks on a wall. You can add doors, if you'd like to hide any mess. You still have a 53-inch wide aisle (52" if you add doors) – I think that's plenty of aisle width. Oh, note that I closed up the 65" doorway by 13" to accommodate the cubbies. The doorway is still 52" – as with the aisle, I think it should be wide enough.
    • Sliding door to the garden…I was deliberate in its placement. You’re a bit short on aisle space, but if the table and door are placed as I show them, there should be plenty of room to use the sliding door – there's approx. 48" of aisle space between the ovens and the table. If you want even more space, you could move the table against the East wall and add a bench for that one seat. It would free up over 30" of space. The aisle between the table and the North wall is tight, but if you put the sliding side on the left, then it should work.

Other items:

Coffee/Tea/Beverage Center:

• It has the under counter refrigerator you wanted.
    • I added a sink since your layout said "wet bar". I recommend a prep sink instead of a bar sink so you can use this space as extra prep space – it has plenty of counter space and a water source.
    • I added a narrow trash pullout (1-bin) since
      (1) it's always best to have some counter space between the sink and counter edge to minimize splashing and knocking things off onto the floor and
      (2) I don't think an 18" wide sink base is big enough for a trashcan underneath.
      (A third reason is that I don't like trashcans under sinks – but that's my personal opinion!)
    • I added a shallow (9" deep) upper cabinet to give you additional storage for the paraphernalia associated with a Coffee/Tea/Beverage Center as well as add extra storage overall (in case the 61"W cabinet under the island isn't big enough for your extra dishes and crystal!).
    • The aisle between the table and Center is only 46.5" wide. This is because of the items I mentioned above (bathroom wall thickness, etc.). It's probably fine when it's just the two of you, but you might consider moving the table back against the wall

Refrigerator/Freezer:

• I wasn't sure how much space the Twins needed, so I added some space. I know they're 32" wide each and you need 2" or so on each side plus you probably need a bit of space between them, so I used 71" total space. If you don't need that much, add it to the cabinets on the right!

Work Zones/Storage

You have three or four Prep Zones:

• Primary -- between the sink and range
    • Secondary -- to the left of the sink and in the Coffee Center. Both have direct access to water
    • Tertiary -- in the island. There is no direct water source in the island.

Baking workspace

• I think this is where the island excels. It gives you a large workspace for rolling out dough, decorating cookies/cakes, etc.

Trash pullout

• I put it in the island so it's easily accessible from the primary Prep Zone, the Cleanup Zone, the Cooking Zone, and the Baking workspace on the island.

Cooking Zone:

• It has plenty of landing space and workspace
    • There's room either to the left of the ovens or on the island
    • Pot & Pan storage is under the cooktop
    • I recommend storing pot holders in the top drawer between the cooktop and the ovens.

Cleanup Zone:

• The Dishwasher Drawers (DWDs) are out of the Prep Zone.
    • Dish storage is in the island across from the DWDs
    • Optionally, you could have one upper cabinet for storing glasses. It's offset enough that the DWDs won't be in the way of getting into the upper cabinet.

I think the rest is either the same as what you have or self-explanatory.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Zone Map:

Alternate Table:

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    • One of your layouts shows the top (North) wall at 28'. However, based on the actual "squares", you only have 26'. I used the 26-foot measurement. (It's the "November 3, 2018" layout, 5th comment.)

• ( Yes I made an error on the width of the addition although we can alter the width up to a certain amount, )

• You did not account for wall thicknesses for the bathroom walls. So, I assumed that the bathroom is:

• ( I measured the actual floor space in the bathroom so we have exactly 6'x6' of floor space in the bathroom)

-- 6'0" wide (East/West), including the bathroom walls
    -- 6'3" deep (North/South), including the bathroom walls – I took this from a note on one of your layouts

• It does not appear that you accounted for counter overhangs in your layouts (1.5" counter overhangs in front of the base cabinets)

• ( Yes I forgot to account for them , My plan was rough and just relies on whole 6" amounts LOL ! )

• Between the bathroom walls and the counter overhangs, I think you have less to work with than you show.

• ( see above about the bathroom . I think it will be OK )

• You're keeping the Dining Room, correct? I'm asking because a 36"D table is not really deep enough for dinner use. It's fine for a Kitchen Table used for quick meals or snacks, but it's not deep enough to hold serving dishes, etc., as well as table settings. It's also too shallow if anyone is tall or has long legs. (We learned both the hard way!)

• ( We have always had a 36" wide dining table . That's what we have in our " real" DR too. It's always been fine for 48 years so we'll be good with that. I guess it's just what you are used to . :) )

• It also has tight aisles on the North and East sides.I added a 7" bumpout to the window wall. I originally had deeper counters overall on that wall, but the aisles were just too narrow.
      -- When there's a DW (or DW Drawers) on an aisle, IMHO, I think the narrowest functional aisle width is 45" to allow someone to pass between an open DW door/drawer and the island. It also might allow you to have the dish storage drawers in the island open at the same time as the DW Drawers are open. (More later.)

• (I will have to think about the aisles wrt to the DW. There isn't a time that we will be having the DW open and anyone will be walking back and forth so I think that won't be an issue. I will have the DW either one standard or the drawers open and unload to the drawers in the island as well as to the only open shelves above the DW . I am planning on all windows to the counter in the rest of the " L".....either side of the cooktop as well. This may change but it is something we are thinking of. As long as aisles are at least 36"-40" I'm good with that. That's what we had at our other house and it was fine. We like to pivot with a small step between the countertop and the island. We use the island as the primary prep space unlike so many that prep next to the cooktop. Will have to give all of this some thought with the new space !! You have given me SO much to think about !! )

-- See MamaDadaPaige's and ErikaNH's windows in this thread:[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/counter-height-window-pictures-please-dsvw-vd~2484108[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/counter-height-window-pictures-please-dsvw-vd~2484108)

• The cabinets and counters along the cooktop wall are 3" deeper than standard. This allows more workspace and storage.

• I added a 9" wide Utility cabinet between the refrigerator/freezer space to ensure you can open the freezer or refrigerator door fully. If you don't need it, then you can add the 9" to the 15" cabinet/pullout next to the sink and put in a 24" cab/drawer base instead.

• I added depth to the island – if you're going to be rolling out dough or doing other tasks that need a lot of space, I think you will appreciate deeper workspace.

• It also allowed the addition of more cabinet space – for the extra dishes and crystal. (You can finally get them out of the boxes in the basement!)

• With that added island depth, a seat could be added, so I added one seat to the island in case you want to sit down while working at some point. It's configured so it doesn't interfere with the Tea/Coffee/Beverage Center since the aisle between the Center and island is only 42" wide.

• ( I need the pantry cab area to be deeper so that I can have my mixer and grain mill sitting on a main shelf with 2 taller drawers below and shallower shelves behind doors above it. It has to be a 17" tall space x 18" deep at least to hold those. So the island can go back to 36" wide.)

• ( We are only 2 so we don't need but a short 4'-5' run of area for our mudroom. One bench and a few pegs is all we have now and it's fine.I love the idea of cubbies ! Will definitely do those. There should only be a 48" walkway from the " new " sitting room into the addition .)

• I also added an 8' row of 18" deep cubbies with seats/benches and drawers under the seats/benches. It could be just one long row, but I thought 2 to 4 cubbies might be nice for some separation for each person. I also thought the cubbies would look nicer than just hooks on a wall. You can add doors, if you'd like to hide any mess. You still have a 53-inch wide aisle (52" if you add doors) – I think that's plenty of aisle width. Oh, note that I closed up the 65" doorway by 13" to accommodate the cubbies. The doorway is still 52" – as with the aisle, I think it should be wide enough.

• Sliding door to the garden…I was deliberate in its placement. You’re a bit short on aisle space, but if the table and door are placed as I show them, there should be plenty of room to use the sliding door – there's approx. 48" of aisle space between the ovens and the table. If you want even more space, you could move the table against the East wall and add a bench for that one seat. It would free up over 30" of space. The aisle between the table and the North wall is tight, but if you put the sliding side on the left, then it should work.

• (I was having the ovens well away from the cooktop so that DH will be using that North wall all alone and I will have the ovens and the baking/pantry cab with island to do my thing, If you can think about how that can be made to work. )

Other items:

Coffee/Tea/Beverage Center:

• It has the under counter refrigerator you wanted.
    • I added a sink since your layout said "wet bar". I recommend a prep sink instead of a bar sink so you can use this space as extra prep space – it has plenty of counter space and a water source.
    • I added a narrow trash pullout (1-bin) since
      (1) it's always best to have some counter space between the sink and counter edge to minimize splashing and knocking things off onto the floor and
      (2) I don't think an 18" wide sink base is big enough for a trashcan underneath.
      (A third reason is that I don't like trashcans under sinks – but that's my personal opinion!)
    • I added a shallow (9" deep) upper cabinet to give you additional storage for the paraphernalia associated with a Coffee/Tea/Beverage Center as well as add extra storage overall (in case the 61"W cabinet under the island isn't big enough for your extra dishes and crystal!).
    • The aisle between the table and Center is only 46.5" wide. This is because of the items I mentioned above (bathroom wall thickness, etc.). It's probably fine when it's just the two of you, but you might consider moving the table back against the wall

Refrigerator/Freezer:

• I wasn't sure how much space the Twins needed, so I added some space. I know they're 32" wide each and you need 2" or so on each side plus you probably need a bit of space between them, so I used 71" total space. If you don't need that much, add it to the cabinets on the right!

• ( The TWINS don't have any space between them. So they are 64" with the allowance on either side for opening. I messed up on that at the last house and couldn't get the bins out of the freezer !! YIKES )

Work Zones/Storage

You have three or four Prep Zones:

• Primary -- between the sink and range
    • Secondary -- to the left of the sink and in the Coffee Center. Both have direct access to water
    • Tertiary -- in the island. There is no direct water source in the island.

Baking workspace

• I think this is where the island excels. It gives you a large workspace for rolling out dough, decorating cookies/cakes, etc.

Trash pullout

• I put it in the island so it's easily accessible from the primary Prep Zone, the Cleanup Zone, the Cooking Zone, and the Baking workspace on the island.

• ( I would rather have two wide drawer bases in the island for all of our dishes except what will be on the one set of open shelves on the wall above the DW . I don't need another trash pull out with one in the coffee area and one between the cooking and the sink. DH will kill me if we have that much trash LOL )

Cooking Zone:

• It has plenty of landing space and workspace

• There's room either to the left of the ovens or on the island

• Pot & Pan storage is under the cooktop

• I recommend storing pot holders in the top drawer between the cooktop and the ovens.

• ( I will have drawer stacks all along the North wall....one in the prep area to the left of the cooktop. one beneath the cooktop and then I had planned the equal 42" area to the right of the cooktop with another drawer stack. We will have a hanging long bar behind the cooktop for the skillets and utensils as we had in our other kitchen.. DH loves having everything right out there where he can see it. . Need to look more at your plans. Your details are SO much better than mine !! )

(

Cleanup Zone:

• The Dishwasher Drawers (DWDs) are out of the Prep Zone.

• Dish storage is in the island across from the DWDs

• Optionally, you could have one upper cabinet for storing glasses. It's offset enough that the DWDs won't be in the way of getting into the upper cabinet.

• ( OK>.....THANK YOU THANK YOU !! You and mamagoose have given me SO much to work with !! I really appreciate it and my contractor will too. I have leeway as to size of the addition both length and width. I need to print out the floorplans you both have come up with and spend time thinking about it all. The bathroom will open into the walkway /mudroom area. The new sittingroom/old kitchen will have builtins on the sittingroom side surrounding the door. These will be for display of my wood bowls and books. )