SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davetz

Foursquare Kitchen Remodel - still no good design

davetz
16 years ago

Hi. We'd REALLY like to remodel the kitchen in our 1908 Foursquare but after living here 3 years and talking to 2 kitchen designers, 3 architects and more people than we can remember about it, we still have not come up with a good working design. The kitchen is decently sized (about 12' X 16') but the real problem is there are 5 doors, at least 4 of which can't easily be moved and the single window's sill on one major wall is only 26" high - prohibitive for a normal counter height.

Currently there's just one bank of cabinets and sink (east wall) and fridge and stove stand alone (no hood, no counter - southwest corner).

Our goals are these: maximize storage space (cabinets) while keeping an area for an eat-in kitchen. While we'd entertain the idea of opening up the wall to the dining room for a more open plan, it seems it would only reduce the amount of storage. Finally, we'd love to squeeze a 1/2 bath in, though I think that is really asking too much for the current space. We are not completely opposed to moving doors/windows but again no one has come up with a good reason to.

WOuld love anyone's input on our project!!! Would love to have a kitchen worthy of this beauty of a home. Also, anyone have experience with companies that make inset cabinet doors? I've really only seen CrownPoint, but I think they are beyond our price range.

Here is the drawing of the kitchen plan plus current views North East South and West.

THANKSTHANKSTHANKS for your help!!!

dave and ellen

st. paul, mn

Comments (20)