SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenfish1234

Neighbors gross fence, my weird landscaping aesthetic

greenfish1234
5 years ago

My neighbor replaced his solid wood fence (it was falling apart) with chain link and white plastic. I can now see clear through his yard across the street and beyond.

My dislike of chain link is surpassed only by my hatred of plastic. I offered to split a cedar fence but he wanted thIs.

My design aesthetic is loose and natural. Plus I have to do it all myself so it isn't always that tidy. I am a beekeeper in New England, love native plants, edibles, farmhouses. Love my pine trees. Pics of my yard for reference.

I would love to extend the existing (failing) bed past the white fence with something that will get BIG. I have some tiny raspberry canes there right now which are producing pretty well but looking pathetic. How many years for one of those huge raspberry patches to cover? A very sad azalea and PJF next to huge rhodie need to move.

Pictured is a BOATLOAD of plants I just picked up from some friends in the gardening business. I could use them here but I don't think most will get big enough to 1) balance the rhodie or 2) cover the fence.

view from the deck:

Further, my in-progress shade garden is now ruined by the view. What to do in the deep shade?? The weird structure was a sandbox which now has climbing hydrangea planted on 3 sides, hopefully a beautiful centerpiece for the shade garden that will hide a bit of the neighbors as well as my compost area.

More of my yard:

Here is the sad state of the azalea and he pjf as well as raspberries

Things I love but don't have: huge forsythia stand, huge lilac stand (I do have A pair in the front yard), huge raspberry/blackberry stand.

Have a huge amount of potted plant material right now, many hydrangea, two lilacs, sedum, etc.

Comments (53)