SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golden2smith

Heath Pump Water Heater (HPWH) vented to conditioned crawl space?

golden2smith
5 years ago

Posted this in the plumbing forum and didn't receive any responses so I am cross-posting here.

We are breaking ground on a new home this week and so are beginning the process of appliance selection. We have allocated a space in our pantry ( specifically a portion under part of the stairwell) for the water heater as it is centrally located relative to two downstairs bathrooms and one upstairs. We had originally thought of a traditional electric heater but have recently become more interested in a hybrid/Heat pump water heater. The pantry volume is approximately 450 cu ft which appears to be too small for most models as most spec 1,000 cu ft of space. The pantry is connected to the kitchen by a pocket door which we expect will remain open > 95% of the time. Our home will also feature a conditioned crawlspace with a total volume of > 5,000 cu ft into which the HPWH could vent. The crawlspace clearance is insufficient to place a HPWH there plus I really don't relish conducting repair or replacement tasks in a crawlspace. We live in a mixed humid climate and will have an electric heat pump providing heating and cooling to the house but will also have a masonry heater which will provide most of the heat in the cooler months. So a few questions for those who have HPWH or with general expertise in this arena:

• How much noise should we expect from a HPWH? Would we need to keep the pantry door closed or perhaps enclose the heater in its own smaller closet in the case of venting to the crawlspace?
  • What downsides, if any would we experience with a HPWH vented to the conditioned crawlspace?
  • One reason I was initially attracted to a HPWH in the pantry is the cooler/dryer conditions that would result in that space. is that a foolhardy approach?
  • Also a slightly unrelated question: we have to other hot water "zones" which are ~ 23 ft from the proposed water heater location. Is there a general rule of thumb regarding distance from the heater where electric demand water heater becomes preferred?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm