SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyperformancehorses

Using the garden for mourning and healing

I buried my mom a few days ago. It was and was not a surprise. She was 89 and lived a full life.

As I was wandering my garden after my return from her funeral across the country, I just grabbed my keys, and drove over to the local nursery. I wanted something in my garden, that every time I looked at it, would make me think of my mom. I bought a lovely little praying angel statue. And I had been thinking about buying PJPII for some time, and they had one with two beautiful and intensely fragrant blooms. Perfect.

I spent yesterday clearing a spot in my new garden area for PJPII and planted him, along with Savannah and Earth Angel. My mom would have loved the gorgeous bright white, fragrant blooms.

My garden is my place for my mourning and healing. I live on a ranch, and we end up with many stray kitties. Many have been welcomed into my home, and I've had my share of dealing with losing them. The passing of a cat is an excuse for me to buy a new rose, dig a hole, bury the kitty, and plant the rose over them. I have 4 rose/ kitty combinations in my garden. It is my way of turning sadness and loss into beauty and life.

I'd love to hear other's stories of using the garden for healing.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!