SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pia12

Please share my outrage-Update to cookie donations

deeinohio
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

...or just tell me how incredibly stupid and naive I am. Anyway, we casually know the parents and grandparents through my grandson’s team. One of them (I thought it was the grandmother who is wealthy) asked through my DIL, who knows all of them, if I would make 5 dozen birthday cookies for the daughters of her other daughter. She was specific about colors and shapes. I had to purchase a cookie cutter. Over the next 3 days, I made 3 batches of dough, 2 batches of icing, designed them, made transfers, tinted the icing, baked, and iced the cookies, put them in cellophane bags tied with ribbon, and drove them to her house. I have never met this woman, though DH has. We carried them into her house, where her girls were. She asked me if I wanted her to just drop the donation off at the facility. I told her I preferred to drop it off myself. She went into her living room, brought back cash and handed me....$20!!! I was shocked. While I blame myself for not having spoken to her directly, and made it clear how much I wanted, I cannot believe this woman thought she could get ANY cookie for 33 cents each, much less custom decorated ones. When I told her it was at least that much per dozen, she said she didn’t have any more money, and she understood that I “just liked baking cookies, and would do it for a donation.” Her mother told her 20-25 would be enough of a donation. (So she chose the lower amount). I informed her I had at least $50 in ingredients and packaging (not including the cost of he cutter and my hours of time). I could tell she expected me to just say “never mind”, but I said I had to have at least have $60. I don’t understand people, but his has taken some of my joy away, and I feel so used. Even though the money wasn’t going in my pocket, so I am not personally out anything, I feel so sad, and can’t get her treatment of me out of my mind. I so wish I would have just offered to leave her a dozen and taken the rest home, but there are too many familial connections (her girls know my grandson), and I would not have wanted to embarrass the girls. Sorry this is so long, but I need help reframing this. Here are the cookies.

Comments (73)

• jellytoast
    5 years ago

robo, your post blows my mind!

deeinohio thanked jellytoast
  • eld6161
    5 years ago

Your cookies are gorgeous. I haven't read all the responses but will after I post.

That said, things got convoluted. A friend of a friend.......You personally did not talk directly to the recipient and she had no idea that there was a formula.

Not everyone has cash readily available. I know I don't.

Lesson learned. . Always speak directly to the recipient of the the product to explain your formula and how things work.

deeinohio thanked eld6161
  • Related Discussions

UPDATE: 2014 O.B.F. Member's Season of Sharing Swap Part 2

Q

Comments (150)
    Thank you Lisa for Sharing!!! Sheri ~ if u don't have enough, its okay if I don't get all of them. Sharing is caring :) Mammoth Yellow Sunflower Luna White Hibiscus zone 5-10 Balloon Flower Sentimental Blue Helenium "Helena Red Shades" Liatris spicata Purple Blazing Star Liatris floristan White Herb: Spilanthes oleracae HAVE A WONDERFU WEDNESDAY!!
    ...See More

UPDATE: Petal Pushers: Sharing Our Thanksgiving Traditions 2

Q

Comments (64)
    Hello ladies! After a long day at my craft show, I came home to a wonderful box from Anita! Wow, girl! I had no idea you could stuff so many fantastic things into one of these boxes!! Anita sent: Lots of lollipops - my kiddos love them! A bunch of daylily seeds 2 voodoo lily bulbs A Milk + Honey brug A Frosty Pink brug (OMG - I can't WAIT to grow these!!!) An agave - so cool - my first! A Commander In Cheif Asiatic Lily bulb An Easter Bonnet Lily bulb A Rhodos Asiatic Lily bulb A Kiss Me Kate Lily bulb (wow - I love all these lillies!!!) Rose Mallow seeds Crackerjack Marigold seeds Evening Primrose seeds Maltese Cross seeds 2 boxes of corn muffin mix and a recipe for Broccoli Cornbread (sounds yummy!) A garden trowel (I needed this - all my cheap ones have bent like crazy!) Pumpkin baking cups (always can use these!!) Lots of napkins A leaf sticker sheet A LOVELY flower plaque A Garden All - it looks fantastic! I'll bet this works great! A beautiful handcrafted dream catcher - wow, this is lovely! I will hang this in somewhere special! A beautiful rose flat - I'll need to put the flagpole back up on the porch! A dolphin windsock A Lucky Clover grow kit - awesome! A Sunflower Grow kit - very cool too! A wooden spoon (thanks - my Lily keeps taking off with mine!), wrapped in a beautiful fall colors towel! 2 Cappuccino lip balms - yummy!!! Wow - I hope I got it all! You packed an INCREDIBLE box, Anita! Thank you so very much! I feel like my box was so inferior now! Going now to hang up my beautiful dream catcher! Becki
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, December 17, 2010

Q

Comments (4)
    Did you see this one? It sure looks fancy. Best Ever Cathedral Windows Prepare 2-3 jelly molds. You will need 5 boxes of different flavoured/coloured jelly crystals. Jelly Cubes - 1. In a medium bowl, mix together contents of one box of flavoured jelly, 1 tablespoon unflavoured jelly, 1 tablespoon white sugar and 1 cup boiling water. Mix until jelly crystals and sugar are fully dissolved. Then add 1 cup cold water. Combine well. Pour into a pan (about an 8" round pan or any similar sized container would do) and chill inside refrigerator until very firm. 2. Do the same procedure for 4 more boxes of different flavoured jelly. 3. When jelly is firm, cut them up into small cubes and combine in a large bowl. Set aside and prepare the binder. Binder - 1. Dissolve 2 tablespoons unflavoured jelly in 2 cups warm hot (but not boiling) apple juice. Set aside. 2. In a medium saucepan and over low fire, beat 4 egg yolks and cook with 3/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon juice until thickened. 3. Pour and mix in the apple juice/jelly mixture. Remove from fire. 4. Fold in 1 cup thickened cream and 1 cup evaporated milk. Assembly - Combine cream mixture with the cut-up jelly cubes. Quickly (but carefully) pour into jelly molds. Set aside in refrigerator until firm. Invert jelly mold onto a plate. Slice and serve! To enjoy it at its best, eat as soon as cathedral windows is set. UPDATE: Please take note that I had edited the recipe. In the binder, the 2 tablespoons unflavoured jelly is dissolved in 2 cups warm apple juice, not water. So sorry about the error. Some additional tips: 1. Use 5 different coloured/flavoured jelly crystals. I usually use the following: Strawberry - Red Lemon or Mango - Yellow Lime or Apple - Green Orange - Orange Grape or Blackcurrant - Violet 2. I usually chill the coloured jelly overnight to make sure they are very firm. The following day (the day you are going to serve this), make the binder a few hours before serving. The assembled thing sets quickly. 3. After you have incorporated the binder with the jelly cubes, work quickly to transfer them to your molds. The binder may start to firm up within minutes. 4. Leave in refrigerator until it is time to serve. Specially on a warm day, leaving the jelly in room temperature may cause it to soften.
    ...See More

Update on my plan, help please

Q

Comments (28)
    Shead, the fireplace is ran off propane. I had propane put in just so I could have a gas fireplace. So we have no chimney and it's vent less. We had one previously and I loved it. The original plan we started off of had 2 wood burning fireplaces but we didn't need one in the office. The fireplace facade was supposed to be brick but I couldn't ever find one so I went with stone. I also agonized over whether to go all the way up with the stone but ended up just about 3/4 and shiplap the rest of the way.
    ...See More
  • Bonnie
    5 years ago

There is no excuse for such boorish behavior!

" It is a hard lesson, but I am still donating what I believe the worth should have been."

Your sensibilities and humanity are apparent in that statement. Keep making your beautiful cookies!

deeinohio thanked Bonnie
  • jellytoast
    5 years ago

Agree there is no excuse. I dang sure would have cash available if I ordered 5 dozen handmade cookies and they were being HAND DELIVERED to my house.

• Peppapoodle
    5 years ago

Your cookies are beautiful! And for charity donations? How wonderful of you!! I seriously think you are undercharging for these. $5 a cookie at specialty baker. I have a friend that does them for $3 &ashes undercharging, as well. I always give her more $$, a tip.

I don't know the lady so can't judge, although I want to!! But, even if she didn't have cash-she should've pulled out her checkbook &written a check. Besides, she could've written it off her taxes with a record.

deeinohio thanked Peppapoodle
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

how deflating it is to one’s ego to be told, in cash, what someone thinks your time is worth.

I disagree with you here. It is not about what she thinks your time and effort are worth, it is about what she thinks her money lets her get away with.

deeinohio thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    5 years ago

Do you think that there is ANY chance that she will wake up and send you a check for more, or is she that unaware of the cost and time that goes into something like that? It's awful of me, but I would have told her what the cost was, and told her if she didn't have it, then you'd only be able to leave a dozen, although $20 isn't enough for even that many.

Oly gave great advice above, and I hope you do this -

" Hopefully, this will prompt you to get your intentions (donating your profits), prices, etc. clearly laid out, whether in a little brochure or a text or email form. Clearly state that you bake the cookies in exchange for a minimum donation of $1.50 per cookie, or whatever your price is, payment upon delivery (or even ask for a deposit). Add that some options will up the price per cookie (like fancier/custom decorations or ingredients or other expenses). "

Being a 'crafter' also, although with fabric, this makes me so angry at her for you that I almost wish I hadn't read it. I'm so sorry that this woman was so cheap! If it was the grandmother, I wonder if she'll mention to her daughter, the mother, what she paid, and the daughter will be shocked and somehow make it up?

deeinohio thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • eld6161
    5 years ago

Robo, I am still in shock over what your co worker did.

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Rita, I didn't want to say it but.....sometimes the richest an be the cheapest :(

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The wealthy one is this woman’s mother. She will send more because I demanded she pay more. But I compromised at 60 because of my own neglect. It still is below the $100-120 I expected. I think I will construct a written policy, and insist on acknowledgment by email by anyone I choose to work with. The whole thing kind of evolved because I don’t want a BUSINESS, but people kept asking. I am lucky to not need the money, and, being retired, I want the freedom to refuse. I kind of saw the whole thing as a win-win-win-win. I win because I get to engage in my hobby, the customer wins because they get something custom below market value, the Humane Society wins because they get the donation, and my family wins so they don’t have to eat so many cookies. And, Robo, how unbelievably self-centered!

• LynnNM
    5 years ago

Dee, I'm just so horrified as the inconsideration of those women, both the daughter and her mother! Pease let us know if you ever do receive compensation for the rest.

deeinohio thanked LynnNM
  • User
    5 years ago

This is such disgusting behavior by this woman that I had to comment before reading all the comments.

First of all...I hate this woman and her mom on your behalf (I don't care...I hope she gets a pox in an intimate area),

My ire out of the way...your cookies are beautiful and you are justified by being gob-smacked. I won't suggest what to do in future--I'm sure you have it all worked out--but be assured for every person who gives you a pittance (which to me, is worse than nothing) there will be 10 more who's generosity will make up for it...

I'm so sorry that your faith in humanity (I totally get it, I always hope for, and assume, the best from people and that won't change) has been temporarily lost...

I so wish I could buy some from you---even your trial ones, or your leftovers or your crumbs...YUM!

My son works in a dog daycare type place and someone there leaves a couple of wrapped dog themed cookies on the counter for anyone wanting to donate to the local rescue that she's named...don't know if that might be a way to get the word out. Although it sounds as if you're busy with the orders you have...

Anyway. Forget her! And her mom, too!!!! (However, you DO deserve to have a decent size sulk about the whole thing for the next day or so)

deeinohio thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

Just commenting again to say that the foul language going on in my head right now would make a sailor blush!

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lol, Penny. The “decent size sulk” is what I was hoping to relieve myself of by posting here. And you all have not let me down. I asked for outrage, and got outrage! I love you all!

• User
    5 years ago

Oftentimes wealthy people get wealthy by NOT spending any money. And, like my mother always says, money can't buy class. Ever.

Your cookies look divine. Works of art, even. If you ever decide to make them available on line I would be a buyer. (My granddaughter's birthday is next month and she will be RIGHT HERE with me, along with her mama and daddy. She will be three!).

deeinohio thanked User
  • Fori
    5 years ago

So many people don't really bake...they think cookies come from a 99 cent mix. I can forgive that (if they don't try to make me eat one). But after being informed of the cost and not feeling at all ashamed....ugg. That's just bad manners!

deeinohio thanked Fori
  • User
    5 years ago

Sadly, a lot of people don't equate time to money. A friend will not sell her quilts because of the time involved in quilting them -- people don't want to pay her even half of minimum wage for the time it takes her to make the quilt. And it's that way with baked goods.

deeinohio thanked User
  • lucillle
    5 years ago

Just now seeing this thread and those cookies are magnificent! As for the lady the phrase SMH was made for her unbelievable behavior.

deeinohio thanked lucillle
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    5 years ago

I think you will continue to have these problems unless you create some explicit written explanation of what your plan is. The cookies are wonderful, but I think I would be confused as well if the 'deal' was so poorly explained. On the one hand, it sounds like you do the baking because you love it and are trying to add the donation to make it a way of your giving back. On the other hand, you have had more than one instance when it turned out to be a far from joyful experience for you.

Setting up written expectations for the size of a donation per dozen cookies and notations of what 'extras' would cost would go a long to way to avoid the confrontations and hurt feelings, I think. Otherwise, I would probably just bake for my family and make my own donations without trying to combine the two by baking for other people who are having problems reconciling. the two endeavors.

Have you considered actually starting a non-profit?

ETA: just occurred to me-are you taking the tax deductions for your donations?

deeinohio thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Yep, you got outrage alright. And then some. I’m still fumIng, especially after reading robo’s post. The girl brings in some love for her co-workers to enjoy, and one person not only spoils it for the giver, she spoils it for the whole dam office! And cheats that charity too out of what would probably have been a lot more money than $48.

deeinohio thanked OutsidePlaying
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

wow

people can be you know..on this continuum..from "ignorant and tactless sometimes" to "full-blown idiots". I don't know where this lady lands, since I don't know her..but yeah..I'm in shock a bit here

They give exact instructions, and demands for colors and shapes, and then they think it's a donation because you apparently just can't help yourself, must keep baking..?

Don't be very sad over her..you're amazing..and your cookies are work of art

if it helps a funny story:

I'm a busy young Mom with full time job, studies, all the jazz

my friend is starting her Master's degree. She doesn't have kids yet

totally different field from mine. like, I know nothing about it.

she tells me:

-listen I need to write a big paper. For one of my classes, Can you write it instead of me, 'cause I'm busy?

I say:

-No, dear. Even if I had time..I've no idea what you're studying. It's not my field. and it's Master Degree level of "not my field". How on Earth can I write your paper?

She says:

-But you're smart! Take couple of days, read the materials..you'll get it just like that, and you'll be able to write the paper. What's the problem?

Well I refused.

And she was very displeased with me

Like I'm too capricious, you know..too egotistic..don't want to take responsibility and days upon days trying to write her paper on something I never learned about before

We're still friends..))) Good ones..

this lady-you don't need to meet her again. Makes things easier.

deeinohio thanked aprilneverends
  • oldbat2be
    5 years ago

april _ I would love to meet you one day!

deeinohio thanked oldbat2be
  • User
    5 years ago

Dee, those are the sweetest cookies I think I’ve ever seen and I’m sorry about what happened to you. Some people are too self centered and self absorbed to even recognize anothers generositiy much less to respond to it in kind. They don’t appreciate the effort because they’ve obviously never given of themselves in that way. Being a kind hearted giver is not a trait people can learn, it’s something that blossoms from within and provides some of the purist joy one can have. Just like those beautiful cookies are a reflection of the person who so caringly made them, that woman’s behavior and expectations are a reflection of who she is. Lessons are learned for next time, but I hope that this situation won’t hinder you from doing things like this again in the future. (((Hugs)))

deeinohio thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

I have been thinking about this...To me, if it's inferred (or even said) that something is "for a donation" (or like wording), it might infer that you are also donating your own time and cost, too...I think if the wording is more along the lines of "I bake these in order to raise money for charity" then it sounds a bit more like you have a cost you have to cover....? Not sure but the two do have subtle differences to me.

No excuse for this woman and still kind of incensed at her lack of manners, logic, and just plain stupidity, though. Hopefully she'll think about this and have a moment of clarity in a couple days.

deeinohio thanked User
  • jellytoast
    5 years ago

I hope she's hiding at home dying of embarrassment (or choking on a cookie).

• pudgeder
    5 years ago

Ditto, Ditto, ditto AND Ditto.

And on ditto on being happy to alleviate the problem of your family having to "endure" so many cookies!!

Those are gorgeous by the way.

deeinohio thanked pudgeder
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

That’s really cold. I’ve made many quilts for family, and several for fundraisers, but they were mostly raffles, so they raised a fair amount of money. One king size scrap quilt raised $1500 for dog rescue, it probably cost me $200-300 in materials and countless hours sewing and hand quilting. What it raised was probably about what I’d have to sell it for to make a profit. Others were smaller, throw-sized, much easier and faster to make. The raffle raises the most money, in my experience. People are willing to spend a few dollars on a chance where they might not be willing to spend what an item is really worth.

Maybe you can hold a raffle somehow for several baked goods as first, second and third prizes? Through a FB page group or sports team or other group of people that is large enough to generate some ticket sales. Someplace where you’re not competing with their own fundraising activities. Workplace? Especially with the fall and winter holidays approaching. Rolls of Tickets are available at staples. Make a poster showing the prizes to be won.

deeinohio thanked Saypoint zone 6 CT
  • neetsiepie
    5 years ago

I am also outraged. Sadly, I'm not surprised. People just suck sometimes.

I don't have a story as egregious as Robo's but I do know of people who would do that sort of thing-work colleagues are so bad at that. We had a charity silent auction at work-there were things that were donated that were pretty nice but people were bidding 25 cents a pop!

I put down a $10 bid on a simple Christmas bulb that had a beaded 'jacket' and I knew that the woman who made it spent a lot of time in making it. I needed that bulb like a hole in the head but I figured it was for a fund raiser. I got so much flak from people for bidding $10 on it-only one other person had bid and they bid that 25 cent bid.

deeinohio thanked neetsiepie
  • User
    5 years ago

Both my sister and mother are creators. Their hands are always busy. My mom used to tie fishing flies (she is quite famous in the fishing world, Alice Conba, you can google her, which makes me laugh every time I type that) and my sister designs leather bags and other leather pieces. Both crochet too and my sister and brother are excellent photographers. Christmas is so much fun, we never quite know what any of us will get. I have seen both my sister and mother be financially "snubbed" by other people and it has always pissed me off. Sadly my mom is going blind so the crochet stuff and the flies are far and few between :-(

I am still upset about your cookies tonight. If you ever decide to have any available OL please please let me know.

deeinohio thanked User
  • lucillle
    5 years ago

Just a caution about raffles, each state has their own rules.

deeinohio thanked lucillle
  • arcy_gw
    5 years ago

Interesting thoughts spawned by some of the comments. As far as the rich getting rich by not spending money. If the RICH are not likely to pay for the custom work of these cookies let alone the quality--who would? I am not disagreeing with that statement per say but I also think the rich want what they want and will pay the price to get it, very often. Heck waltz over to the decorating site and see the INSANE money people are spending to redo perfectly good/beautiful rooms just because they can!! While I sympathize with the awkward situation. These things often happen to those who are uncomfortable with the "business" end of their creating. If I did the math correctly you were hoping for closer to $2 per cookie. Walk into a bakery. See the cookies of similar type (for sure yours would taste 1000xs better) but just on looks. I don't think you could get one for under $4 each. Your pricing seems more than fair, so the only way to avoid this issue is to decide. Will I do this for family and friends as my gift to them or will I bite the bullet and conduct baking like a business and be professional and upfront about my expectations? Truth is the value in anything is truly only what another will pay for it. Craftsmanship, the creators time invested---RARELY is fairly compensated. People do not get rich selling their wares at Vendor/craft shows!!!!

deeinohio thanked arcy_gw
  • graywings123
    5 years ago

I guess what bothers me most about this is that it is disheartening to someone trying to do good.

I have worked in dog rescue for many years, and two of the many things I have learned are 1) never work through a mediary and 2) there are some cheap a@@ people out there. Fortunately there are also many kind and generous people.

deeinohio thanked graywings123
  • jill302
    5 years ago

Just want to say that your cookies are fabulous! If I lived in your area I would be thrilled to make a generous donation and receive cookies or buy them outright. You are right that this arrangement can be a win-win. A written policy and written/email confirmation of understanding of the policy will help you avoid people who are either clueless or out to take advantage of the situation.

deeinohio thanked jill302
  • sheesh
    5 years ago

There is nothing else to say that hasn't been said, just wanted you to know I'm flabbergasted. Your cookies are beautiful.

deeinohio thanked sheesh
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

Awesome job with the cookies and kindness, Don’t let awful people get you down.

deeinohio thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • User
    5 years ago

From what I hear of some of the fantastically talented people here, it would be great if Houzz could have a marketplace section for forum members to put the word out about what they sell...

deeinohio thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

Excellent idea penny!

deeinohio thanked User
  • ratherbesewing
    5 years ago

This seems like a communication problem. You need to specifically tell people what your charge ( for yourself or for donation) and they will agree or not. Going thru a 3rd party (your DIL) added to the confusion. Most people do not comprehend how long it takes to create something. Don't beat yourself up over this. Live and learn.

deeinohio thanked ratherbesewing
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

Beautiful cookies, stupid woman.

I think you should charge AT LEAST the going rate if not more. How many of us have bought overpriced KRAP for fundraisers?

Create a very simple webpage, and send people to that page with all the details.

Handmade cookies are luxury goods. Buyers of luxury goods are not usually price sensitive. No reason to give them bargains!

deeinohio thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • lascatx
    5 years ago

Dee, I don't know why I didn't see this yesterday, but I do share your outrage. I'm glad you were able to recover your costs, but you were nicer than I would have been (if my shock didn't get in the way of me acting). I'd like to think I'd have told her to keep the $20 and go buy the girls some Oreos and then taken the cookies to be donated elsewhere. Sharing this post better prepares us all to deal with these situations. With the sweet 16 theme, the options might be more limited, but wouldn't it have been fun to take them to an assisted living or senior center and let the ladies and gents reminisce on their days of yore? I'd like to think I'd have done that before leaving them with an ungrateful person or less than $100-120. That's really pretty minimal, and it would have been well worth it to sit down and share some stories with those folks or just to imagine them enjoying it. You can't go to a fast food place and get an undecorated, machine made, full of preservatives and other junk cookie for less than $1-2 per cookie. And if she has a 16 yr old daughter, I do not believe she didn't know that. Good grief.

Robo, the only way I would let that woman get away with that stunt is if I didn't know about it before she left the building. That is not just wrong to the person baking but also to everyone else who was intended to enjoy them and benefit.

deeinohio thanked lascatx
  • runninginplace
    5 years ago

I don’t understand why you don’t just make and sell cookies and donate what you earn, minus the ingredients’ cost, to charity. If you don’t want to run a business run a boutique—tell people no if you are busy or you just don’t want to make cookies for them.

As others have said the whole thing seems very convoluted and it’s giving you way too much aggravation. The truth is you can do charity or you can do sales and trying to mix the two isn’t going to work. You’re trying to sell while framing it as giving—it’s kind of hard to blame others for being confused.

However please accept this from someone without as much tolerance for foolishness as I once had, who wouldn’t have ever slaved to prepare dozens of bespoke baked creations for someone I don’t know without clearly conveying my expectations to the recipient. Especially if as in your situation the time, energy and expense was substantial.

The recipient may have been boorish but I suspect you are angry at yourself for allowing her to take advantage of you and that’s why it’s hard to let this one go. Clarify your expectations to yourself and then be clear to others is my advice.

deeinohio thanked runninginplace
  • deeinohio
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Running, absolutely right; I am most angry at myself. BTW, I still have not received any additional money, though she said she would send it to school to my son, who is a teacher. Perhaps, she’s waiting until payday. Again, thank you everyone. I am formulating a better plan.

• runninginplace
    5 years ago

Dee, thanks for taking my comments in the spirit intended--believe me my tough shell is made of scar tissue! I've lost count of how many times I killed myself doing something, that I volunteered to do, which ended up not only consuming my time and energy but which was met with blank indifference for how hard I'd worked.

One of the only things that I don't mind having atrophy as I age is my give-a-damn muscle. It's attached to my I'll-do-it joint which is also almost gone....LOL

deeinohio thanked runninginplace
  • graywings123
    5 years ago

^^^^

Why does it take so long for some of us to figure this stuff out?

deeinohio thanked graywings123
  • nosoccermom
    5 years ago

I have to admit that I'm a bit confused about what actually happened. Also, why the person specified design, size etc of the cookies. Sweet 16? Did she have a specific occasion in mind?

However, if you want to raise money for charities by donating your amazing cookie baking skills, the easiest would be to say: I am offering hand made cookies to benefit charity so-and-so. If you want to participate by purchasing xy number of cookies, the suggested price is xy.

As mtn said, people buy a lot of stuff to benefit charities and realize that the main purpose isn't to get a bargain. In my area, such cookies go for 4-5.00/piece,and they don't taste particularly good.

deeinohio thanked nosoccermom
  • deeinohio
    Original Author
    5 years ago

nosoccerman, I was only giving cookies to friends and family, then a few neighbors and more casual friends asked, and from those I asked a donation. This woman was the first I baked for whom I did not personally know. She asked for 5 dozen pink and gold princess and number 16 cookies for her daughters’ birthday party, but the request came through my DIL. While I DO blame myself for not setting parameters up front, I think it is the height of nerve to ask for so many specialty cookies knowing you are only giving $20.

• jellytoast
    5 years ago

Dee, you will get no argument there! And it is even nervier that she has not paid the balance. I like nosoccermom's idea but I would change "suggested" price to "minimum" price, and I would set that price at the top end of the going rate. For some reason, some people think "donation" means that it is okay to give whatever piddly amount they feel like, even if their donation does not cover the cost of the goods that they are helping themselves to. In other words, they are donating to themselves. We here are aghast at that behavior, but I think it is fairly common. Uncool, but common.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

You got me all riled up again. $4 a dozen?! Can you buy 'nilla wafers for that?!!!!!!

deeinohio thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • texanjana
    5 years ago

Unbelievable. The cookies are gorgeous and would cost at least $50 per dozen here if not more. I hope she sends the additional money but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Robo-That story about your coworker leaves me speechless.

deeinohio thanked texanjana