SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fshagan

Kitchen Cabinet Sticker Shock

Frank Hagan
5 years ago

Getting estimates from several contractors here in our community has created quite a bit of sticker shock. Our 9'3" x 11' kitchen will cost from $28,500 (imported non-custom cabinets) to $73,000 (Wood-Mode cabinets). In between those two extremes we have one quote for $35,000 (US made Belmont frameless cabinets with upgrade to plywood from furniture board) and one for $39,000 (US made Brookhaven frameless cabinets).

Pricing out Barker Cabinets I find they would cost about $10,000 delivered. Scheer's is about $12,000 delivered (using furniture board it would be about $9,000). The Barker cabinets would be finished, and the Scheer's would not, which is a problem in California (none of the finishes sold here hold up well).

Part of the cost for the contractors is that my community requires changes due to code requirements in the kitchen and elsewhere, including installation of smoke detectors and CO detectors (we would have to add one smoke detector and two CO detectors to our established collection). The electrical must be upgraded in the kitchen for the number of outlets per counter. We don't have formal quotes yet to see exactly how much those costs are, but I estimate it's at least $2,000. Our house was built in the early 1980's, so most of the other code requirements are met.

We have one more quote to receive, and we'll choose between it and the ones that came in at $35,000 and $39,000. But, wow, what a difference between the costs I see quoted for other parts of the country.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES