SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
galprins

My kitchen is a cave! To paint or not to paint the cabinets . . .

galprins
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We just had white oak floors with a clear finish installed in the home we are soon moving into. I had expected the new floors to clash with the maple cabinets and so had planned to have the cabinets painted white next week. But they don't look as terrible together as I'd expected, so now I'm wondering if painting them is the best route to go. That said, this kitchen is in the middle of the house and doesn't have any windows, and the family room that it opens up to has north facing windows. So there just isn't a lot of natural light in there. Wouldn't painting the kitchen cabinets white brighten it up? But there are a lot of cabinets and also the island, so would that be just too much white? If I have them painted, I wouldn't want to do a color other than white. The trim all over the house is going to stay white. More info: The walls are going to be painted a light color. I do plan to add under-cabinet lighting (and maybe even above cabinet lighting). These are builder grade cabinets, but I do not plan to replace them with new cabinets. I would like to replace the current counters and backsplash with a classic white tile backsplash and perhaps quartz marble-look counters at some point, but for now I am going to stay with the backsplash and counters that we have. We are not concerned with resale since this is our long-term house (and the first place that I've lived where I can just think about what I'd like rather than always having resale in the back of my mind!). Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Comments (33)

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

I would paint the walls a warm white and maybe the island in an off white.

If you have money to burn then paint all the cabs too. I just don't think the cost would be justified if it were in my house.

galprins thanked emmarene9
  • Related Discussions

what color to paint my paint my cabinets

Q

Comments (3)
    Change out your lightbulbs before doing anything more. Use led daylight 4000k light bulbs. Everything looks yellow in your kitchen from the lightbulbs you have. I wouldnt paint the cabinets either, since they appear to be in great condition, but, I would sure be painting the walls quickly.
    ...See More

Kitchen cabinets - Paint Ready v. Painted Wood CKF Cabinetry

Q

Comments (1)
    IMO if apinted is what you want go MDF for all painted cabinets with a factory finish for sure . All painted surfaces can chip but the factory baked one less often. Painted wood has no advantage IMO and MDF just works better since it does not expand and contract so no issue with seeing the tiny spaces in a painted wood form that movement.
    ...See More

Should I paint my kitchen cabinets?

Q

Comments (19)
    The kitchen is dark because it has no windows of its own and it has no central overhead light fixture, only downward-pointing can lights. Find the "close to the ceiling" fixture that matches the table's chandelier and have it installed in the kitchen. It will brighten up the kitchen enormously for the cost of a few hundred dollars.
    ...See More

What color should I paint my kitchen cabinets?

Q

Comments (13)
    Those are very nice looking cabinets and I would not paint them. Having your cabinets professionally painted is quite expensive. And, these cabinets seem too quality for a DIY paint job. Your counters are what really throws the color of this room off for me, but I suspect a counter replacement is not in the stars for you now. I really like the wall color with the floor and the cabinets, but again the stone is throwing it off. Maybe one of these genius pros on here could suggest a new wall color to tie the cabinets, counters, and floors together?
    ...See More
  • housegal200
    5 years ago

I'm with emmarene and fori--live with it then see what you need. There is a really nice glow to the cabinets that's not cave-like. Probably down the road light-colored countertops and simple backsplash with rippled subway tile that reflects light will add to the glow. Definitely repaint the walls a much lighter color than the existing wall color for the entire adjoining space to lighten everything.

Bucknell · More Info

galprins thanked housegal200
  • dan1888
    5 years ago

I wouldn't paint any of those cabs. But you can add lighting, both under cabinet led strips and 2-3" dimmable led cans in front of the uppers, etc. spaced so you don't shadow the counter as you work.

galprins thanked dan1888
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Redo island

lighter backsplash

Like this shape

or square, depending on floor plan.

galprins thanked artistsharonva
  • AC LB
    5 years ago
    Honestly, I would just replace the counters to a lighter color and paint the walls. That color cabinet is making a comeback. Put the money towards counters. Enjoy your new home! Congratulations!
    galprins thanked AC LB
  • MizLizzie
    5 years ago

It looks as if the house has inadequate lighting in the ceiling and under the cabinets. I would not touch those beautiful cabinets, and I’m a white kitchen gal. With the floors, the wood looks amazing. I would add more pot lights in the ceiling, and if that is not possible, some modern, nickel track lighting, and definitely some really good LED undercabinet lighting. Make sure you’re getting the right color LED, too. I think daylight, but you might need to try a couple of different shades. I would replace the backsplash with something creamy, bright and very simple. Congratulations on your new home.

galprins thanked MizLizzie
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 years ago

galprins , did you use oiled based or water based natural finish for your White Oak floors? How do you like it?

galprins thanked Oak & Broad
  • otterkill
    5 years ago

Any chance you could add solar tubes? I’ve read that they really work great bringing sunlight in. Love the cabinets! I’m on the lighter paint, countertop and backsplash team!

galprins thanked otterkill
  • Melissa R
    5 years ago

I like the cabinets but if you want to paint, paint the island only. new counters and back splash. .

galprins thanked Melissa R
  • sloyder
    5 years ago

I would paint the island, if you want a little change

galprins thanked sloyder
  • herbflavor
    5 years ago

wait until the green is gone from the room right beyond. That is a really dark space and yet you have windows there....see what light walls will do.....light bounces around and light vs darker walls can make a huge difference. Maybe start sketching a different island that you could pull up a couple stools.Can't tell space allowance....but I would wait on the perimeter if I thought a new island could be done.

galprins thanked herbflavor
  • cat_ky
    5 years ago

The cabinets look great. The lighting is poor. Replace with led daylight type bulbs, and add more lighting too. The color on the walls is very warm, but, it isnt doing anything for your kitchen. I like the color in the room right beyond. Its a very nice color, and it goes well with your cabinets, so I would be painting the kitchen the same color, or one color lighter on the color strip, for both the kitchen and the room beyond. Make sure the color you pick isnt a muddy tone, look for a color that is very clear. It will brighten it up considerably. Its a very nice kitchen. If you really want to paint some cabinets, then just the island, but, even that isnt necessary. For now, I would leave the backsplash and the counters, and live with it a while, so you know exactly what you want. What you have now, looks to be in great shape. Once you have accessorized the kitchen, and added some color, it should be beautiful. Enjoy your new house.

galprins thanked cat_ky
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

light walls will do a lot. but i'd paint the island, its the wood in the middle of wood that overwhelms me.

galprins thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Bruna Veliu
    5 years ago
    We have a very similar situation. Same cabinets and flooring and just changed countertops from black to a lighter color. Planning to work with the island. will paint just that a darker color but still debating. I will upload pictures once is done but I think the same will look great in your kitchen.
    galprins thanked Bruna Veliu
  • CountrySunsets
    5 years ago
    I wouldn’t paint those cabinets. I think they’re too nice for that. I do however feel like it’s brown overload. I think changing to a lighter counter, painting, and doing the backsplash if possible will make a big difference. And maybe some under cabinet lights. Hope you post update photos of whatever you choose!
    galprins thanked CountrySunsets
  • sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

paint the walls first, easiest , cheapest and cleanest.

then see what u think. if not satisfied, i would replace the b/s. then if still not satisfied, the counters. add undercab lighting if u don't have, it makes a world of difference.

cabs are really nice and the floors look great. i would not get into painting cabs. that would be my last resort.

galprins thanked sprtphntc7a
  • Boxerpal
    5 years ago

Oh I like your kitchen. I swear I saw this kitchen or one almost exactly like it a year and a half ago when I was house hunting... I love your cabinets.

I would put in the brightest bulbs or update light fixtures to get some bright light into the space. This might help you feel less like a cave and love your kitchen. Change the wall color to something bright and fresh. What is your favorite color? And then after living here a while think about changing the counters and backsplash to a a light white or cool white color? I personally love the look of light medium wood with white cool marble. And if that still is not appealing maybe think about painting the island. Do this in a fun color like Teal or Navy or Plum.. Something you would really love.

Boerum Hill Beaut · More Info

Condo Kitchens · More Info

Kitchen Remodels · More Info

Ortega French · More Info

white painted island

Vermont Country Escape · More Info

galprins thanked Boxerpal
  • H202
    5 years ago

Walls, then counters and backsplash. That should do the trick. I think the cabinets are lovely (and like another poster above, i'm not an oak kitchen kind of gal). I wouldn't paint the island either.... that's a trend that's been overdone and i think you'll regret.

galprins thanked H202
  • mvcanada
    5 years ago

Gosh that Island is a bit odd. There is no overhang so you can't sit there. If you are thinking of doing some replacement, maybe consider a new island altogether and I'd put a paint finish on it. Then if you are changing out your counters, a new top for the island with some overhang so you can have some seating. Definitely lighter coloured counters and new backsplash as well as new and better lighting. New undermount sink, or a farmhouse style if you like that. It would make a big difference to the room.

galprins thanked mvcanada
  • teresale2013
    5 years ago

In the minority--but I vote for painting the cabinets white. There is an awful lot of wood there now--in all the same tone.

(i might be prejudiced because I have lived with golden oak for 25 years and I am totally tired of it)

galprins thanked teresale2013
  • galprins
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! I really liked the cabinets when I first viewed the house. But then the tone of the maple looked pinkish next to the sample of the warmer clear finish oak we were having installed on the entire main floor of the home. And they ARE different now that the floors are all in, but it's OK! We will go light color with the paint, counters, and backsplash. And definitely some under cabinet lighting is a top priority project. I think I was feeling the pressure to make all of the decisions now and get it all done before moving in, but I will take the advice to live with it a while before committing to the big expenses. Thanks again!

• galprins
    Original Author
    5 years ago

MizLizzie, your suggestion about bulbs for the under cabinet lighting colors is really helpful. I'll make sure to try daylight bulbs. Seems appropriate in my windowless kitchen!

• galprins
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oak & Broad, the installer is using 4 clear coats of waterborne finish. We went with his recommendation and also wanted something that wouldn't yellow. We haven't moved in yet, but we love the way it looks. And we were able to walk on it 24 hours after application. Odor is minimal. They are waiting to do the final buff and coat after painting is complete and appliances are back in place just in case there are any mishaps during those events. The installer is a true craftsman who usually works on historic restoration projects and multi-million dollar homes (which ours is definitely not!), but because he's a family friend we were lucky enough to get on his schedule and know that he's got our best interest in mind. These floors were definitely a luxury, but as they are solid oak and the install is high quality, they are forever floors for us and a great fit for our Pacific Northwest style.

• galprins
    Original Author
    5 years ago

otterkill, I've thought about solar tubes but am leaning more towards skylights. The family room that the kitchen opens up to faces north and has a sloping roof, so when we have to re-roof in the spring we are going to look into adding some skylights on that north slope of the roof to hopefully bring more steady light into that open area without direct glaring sunlight. A roof overhanging the patio blocks a lot of the light would otherwise be coming into through those windows and slider in the living room. I think the skylights will make a huge difference.

• galprins
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bruna, I'd love to see the pictures when you are done.

• galprins
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, the island is a bit weird. Great ideas for what to do with it here. And thank you for the inspiration photos, artistsharonva. I was trying to figure out what to do with it and would love for there to somehow be some seating at the island. Your photos helped me so much! There is plenty of room on side of the inside of the "V" side of the island, so bringing it out further and adding seating there would not impede traffic flow.

• galprins
    Original Author
    5 years ago

boxerpal, those are great pictures! Yes, I was thinking of a marble look for countertops as well. And always great to remember to focus on what I love.

• Tammie Neubert
    5 years ago

I love the new floors! If you decide to paint the cabinets, I recommend a creamy off white versus a pure white. If funds allow, add glass door cabinets on top of the current on to close the gap to the ceiling. Run lights in the glass door cabinets. The lights will brighten the space and the glass doors will show off special items. I love the undercabinet lighting idea. I think the peninsula begs for a special lighting fixture over the sink to catch the eye and new hardware would be great for tying it all together. You already have a great kitchen, anything you do now will only enhance a great space!

galprins thanked Tammie Neubert
  • Embee Kra
    5 years ago
    personally I'd paint the walls white, get a backsplash in a light color, maybe even white, and get light colored counters. also add some under cabinet lights.
    galprins thanked Embee Kra
  • Bruna Veliu
    5 years ago
    Our project is finally completed. We ended up painting the island and that was exactly what was needed. In love with my new kitchen
  • Bruna Veliu
    5 years ago
    another one
  • Rob Fonseca
    5 years ago

Cabinets

galprins thanked Rob Fonseca