SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan1980steve

common bermuda renovation to hybrid

jan1980steve
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi All,

I have a common bermuda lawn seeded by birds/winds in zone 7B. Looks like I got three different strains out there. Out of which 1 is darker, medium sized leaf, spreads horizontally and covers well. The 2nd strain is light green and stands straight with finer leaves. The 3rd strain is broader leafed and doesn't spread horizontally.

Option1: Keep the strain1 that spreads horizontally and kill the rest. Then sprig/plug the remaining area with strain1. This one spreads at 1" per day and can easily cover the rest of the lawn pretty quickly. Springs can be sourced from existing lawn.

Option2: kill everything and then sprig it with tifgrand. But i am not sure if tifgrand can stand up to common bermuda if it comes back. I have a reel mower and the yard is levelled and can go 3/8" without problem.

Please suggest your opinion on both the options.

I read that we need 3 applicatoins of roundup at 2-3 weeks interval to kill. The lawn is still green and I can start the roundup now? and then again when it greens up in spring to finish up the rest of the application?

Thanks in advance,

Comments (8)