SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wan24

Kitchen Floor decision help please

wan24
5 years ago

Hello,

Our Southern California home was built in 1950. We are doing a full kitchen and laundry remodel. The kitchen is in the middle of the house, and has no windows. It flows into the family room. There are 2 doors from the kitchen into the adjacent dining room, and one door from the other side of the kitchen into the laundry room. The flooring in the kitchen and family room will be replaced, and also the laundry room. The dining room flooring is original 2 inch wide oak strips and is in good shape, so will not be replaced. The laundry room floor will either be a ceramic print or vinyl sheet print (and we can close off this space with a pocket door). I wish to put some type of hardwood or engineered flooring into the family room. But I am in a dilemma for what to do about the kitchen. We were originally thinking to have the kitchen floor be the same as the family room floor and just have it flow together. But then the designer mentioned cork flooring as an alternative for the kitchen. The kitchen is on a raised foundation. (Family room was added later and is on concrete slab). We are in our early 60's and in good shape, but lately I am prone to dropping things due to hand weakness. No pets, no kids.

Plan to stay in this house as long as possible. I've seen the luxury vinyl planks and don't love it. I want my once-in-a-lifetime dream kitchen to look beautiful but not have to fuss over it excessively. I need about 100 sq feet of flooring for the kitchen, which will be a farmhouse style. Assume price is unimportant (of course it is but need all the facts!) Appreciate your comments on wood vs cork, and having so many different types of flooring all next to each other. I am leaning towards an engineered hardwood for both kitchen and FR, if anyone can recommend an excellent quality type and place to buy I would appreciate the info! Also, do they come in narrower planks? I want to minimize the grooves in the hardwood which trap dirt. Many thanks in advance!

Comments (3)