SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Warm weather cultivation of mystery antique tuberous begonia

jacqueline9CA
5 years ago

I have talked about this plant in another thread on here, but I am hoping to get some responses from anyone who grows begonias in warm (I am in zone 9/10 in Northern Calif - Mediterranean climate) climates.

Long story short, I found this begonia sprouting out of the dirt in an untended part of our garden. I am guessing it is a holdover from the past - our garden has been gardened continuously for 113 years by 4 generations of my DH's family, and I have found a lot of old old plants over the years.

I rescued it and put it in a pot in good light but no direct sun. It has grown and bloomed. I understand that sometime when the hours of sunlight get short enough, it will go dormant and drop all of its growth, and then after that it will NOT like to have a lot of water (although since I found it growing in the ground, the info about the tubers rotting in a lot of rain seems suspect). So, I cannot plant it out in my garden, which gets 30ish inches of rain each year between Nov and April. I would like, however, to put it in a larger pot which is elevated (since it seems determined to droop over its pot and grow straight down), and put it in a shady garden bed, and then move the pot into our basement for the rainy season.

My questions are: 1) Do you recognize this begonia, or have any guesses as to its ID?

2) Do you know why it has obviously survived at least one rainy winter in the ground, when I am told that is impossible?

3) If I put it in a larger pot out in the garden, what kind of light should I put it in?

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I am very confused, obviously. I really would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have.

Jackie

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES