SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacob_bisharat

Exciting finds. My first two witches brooms!

Jacob Bisharat VA zone 7A/7B
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a few years now since I first learned about witches brooms. Today I went to a public park with a lot of old interesting plants. soon after I got there I admiring a huge Cedrus Deodara and looking for cones to collect seed when I noticed this

From underneath

It’s not more than 20’ off the ground toward near the trunk. It should be a snap to get a portion of it. It seems like something that would grow in a mounding fashion, but I’m no expert on these things. Coloring is certainly different from the rest of the tree. It’s pretty shaded where it is so in full sun who knows what color it might be. I’m very excited about trying to graft some scions.

After I found that not 20 minutes later I saw a Pinus Parviflora. I was interested in collecting some seeds. It was covered in cones, most of which were already completely empty. as I looked cones that weren’t totally open I saw this

Dead as a doorknob!!! So sad!! It’s about the size of a baseball. Super tight. the rest of the tree looks great. Here’s the catch it had 4 tiny cones. I haven’t checked them for seeds yet. I’ve got my fingers crossed though. This is a dumb question I’m sure, but any chance

this broom could revive? The thing is 8‘ off the ground. So easy to get to.

I am still surprised I found my first two brooms within minutes of each other. So cool.

Any suggestions on where to get Cedrus Deodara rootstock?

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals