SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

Halloween Costumes

User
5 years ago

Each year I make my Granddaughters Halloween costumes, this year the oldest wanted to be a Princess (in a pink and purple dress)

While the youngest wanted to be Minnie Mouse

That's not a mask but rather a bucket for her candy loot. Her mother bought the rest of the accessories for the costume!

Comments (36)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

How fun!

Well done!

• wildchild2x2
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Nicely done. Cute too. I love the Minnie dress. DGD who is six wants to be Gamora from Guardians of the Galaxy. Anything that allows her to color her hair. LOL Last year she insisted on being Catwoman. The last time we got her to do anything cute/innocent was when she was four. She and her little brother went as Masha and the Bear for trick or treating but she went to preschool as Wonder Woman. See a pattern here?

• Related Discussions

Halloween Costume Update

Q

Comments (5)
    I've found almost everything I need for my costume! The only thing left that I really need is a pair of 80's style clip-on earrings. Does anyone know where I can find some? I've checked the thrift stores and they hardly have anything. Neither does Wal-Mart or the dollar stores. Brad AKA Moonwolf
    ...See More

OT: Halloween Costume Pictures

Q

Comments (10)
    Thank you, everyone! booberry, LOL my one gram always said that I always had feminine looking legs, so I lucked out with loving having to dress up in drag for Halloween lol. Annie, glad I brought back some memories for you. Cyndi Lauper is one of my all time favorite singers/entertainers. When I walked in to the theatre, I was greeted by most of the partygoers with smiles, laughs and lots of "wows". I did forget to wear the earrings and one other necklace for the big night, but I'm still happy with the way it turned out :). I made the necklaces out of "pop beads". Brad AKA Moonwolf
    ...See More

Halloween Costumes for Grown Up couple

Q

Comments (28)
    A few years ago a friend of mine and her husband had a very unique couples costume. He wore a black and white stripes shirt and black pants as a football ref and she wore a yellow sheet. He would blow his whistle and she would fling herself to the ground. She of course was his yellow flag on the play. It was hilarious. She was very dramatic on the flinging herself. I too saw someone go as dinner for 2, he had a cardboard "table" around his waist, table cloth, table set with dishes for 2 and wine glasses. He wore the waiters outfit and was serving a bottle of wine. He won the contest. He really did an excellent job on the whole setup. Another cute one I saw a couple do, husband dressed as a hobo or homeless person and the wife wore a big brown cardboard box. His refrigerator box home.
    ...See More

Help with Editing .pdf files (Halloween costume)

Q

Comments (1)
    We got it. Whew!
    ...See More
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Well done! I'm sure they'll appreciate how special they are. My all time favorite costume is the ONE my mother made. It was a red tutu and it had a red hairpiece made of the same material. I looked nifty! I think of it every Halloween and that was four decades+ ago. It's more meaningful since it came from her heart and I don't doubt they'll feel similarly.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Absolutely lovely!!!

• Alisande
    5 years ago

Omigosh, you rose to the occasion beautifully! Lucky little girls.

• ladypat1
    5 years ago

Those beautiful costumes will make wonderful photos! Make sure you post pics of the girls in their costumes, even if you have to blur their faces.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Those are darling, Martha!

• georgysmom2
    5 years ago

How lucky they are to have you as their Grandma!!

• sheesh
    5 years ago

Perfect! I bet you had a wonderful time. My absolute favorite things to sew are clothes for my granddaughters! I love sewing for their mothers (and fathers and brothers too, for that matter) but little girls.....oh, that's the mostest fun ever! Right, Martha?

• DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago

You win the gramma prize! I love how involved you get to be.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

I would have LOVED that costume as a child and would love a little granddaughter to create frou-frou outfits for. Lucky little girl and g-ma. These are two I have done in the past for my grandson...one is the dragon from My Father's Dragon, the other is a hedgehog (his favorite animal), in case you don't recognize it! He's on to Star Wars now, so these are probably the last ones I'll ever make, lol:

• grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

My poor g-kids are not so lucky. Their Gran is not so talented. You ladies rock! They are beautiful costumes!

• party_music50
    5 years ago

Martha, the Princess and Minnie costumes are perfect! just lovely.

Olychick, your dragon and hedgehog are fantastic costumes too!

Homemade costumes are the best!

My mother always made great costumes for me... and my sister always did for my nieces. A friend from work always used to have a blow-out Halloween costume party where I could get creative -- my personal bests were my Pillsbury Dough Boy and my Carmen Miranda. lol!

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

Those are absolutely adorable!

My son goes all out with his kids costumes.

• Fun2BHere
    5 years ago

Martha and Olychick, you are seriously talented. I would love to have you for my mother/grandmother/aunt/neighbor.

• Joaniepoanie
    5 years ago

Beautiful job! My grandmother made Halloween costumes for us....she was an incredible seamstress. Unfortunately my mother did not hang onto them. I inherited just a smidge of her talent and I made costumes for my kids and kept the better ones. I'm hoping my granddaughter will wear one this year.

User thanked Joaniepoanie
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Joaniepoanie -- for the last two years my old granddaughter wore the witch costume I made for her Mom 35 years ago. It pleased my heart so much to see that costume on her!

• Olychick
    5 years ago

Kathy, my grandson would go cuckoo for those costumes! I don't think I could figure those out to make.

User thanked Olychick
  • Bonnie
    5 years ago

Martha, you are a talented seamstress. The costumes are beautiful!

User thanked Bonnie
  • teeda
    5 years ago

Yes, Martha, you are talented! I love seeing kids in hand made costumes! Your granddaughter are lucky little girls.

User thanked teeda
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kathy -- those are really cool costumes. They look so cute!

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Olychick -- yours are a lot cleverer than mine! They are adorable!

• Chi
    5 years ago

Cute costumes! I wish I could sew. I bought a sewing machine 8 years ago that's still in the box if that sounds for anything, lol .

• Olychick
    5 years ago

Chi, I don't sew either. Or I learned how when I was young and then gave it up when I realized I hate it! I finally bought an inexpensive self-threading machine so I could have one to mend things sometimes. It works better than any I've ever used, but I have to get on youtube every time I get it out in order to figure out the self threading feature. With old eyes and bifocals, it's really a challenge. I didn't think anything or anyone could have made me sew something - but then you get a grandchild and things change, lol. And luckily, when they are little, they are easy to impress.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Martha, your sewing skills are fabulous! Beautiful costumes for 2 lucky little girls!

Same to you Oly, some really terrific skills, and kudos to you Kathy for your GS’s costumes. I love Halloween!

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh, Oly -- I sewed A LOT when I was single and newly married and even sewed quite a bit for my DD -- some clothes, costumes, doll clothes and lots of things for me. And then life happened and I hadn't sewed anything (except curtains or cushion covers) for 25 years. But I figured once you knew how, you always could. That first costume -- little red riding hood -- 3 pieces -- cape, dress with different colored bodice and pantaloons. Well, sewing was like riding a bike -- yes, you remember how but you don't always do it well -- you fall off -- the cape (since it was easiest I did first). That one most seams I had to take out 2 times before I got it right. The pantaloons were better -- I think one of the seams was okay and the others I only had to take out once. But I was pedaling well by the time I got to the dress and I think that there was only 1 or 2 seams I had to rip out total! The Princess dress had a lined bodice and it took me a while to figure that one out but I did and I had forgotten about youtube -- to look things up to see how to do it. I'll remember that next year. But I LOVE doing it! Now to make my DAR dress!

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

LOL back in the day my daughter was gifted a hand me down bunny my sister made. The hedge hog made me think of it. It was thick and FLUFFY!! We will always remember the year of the "wet bunny" it was raining that all hallows eve. The three year old was not quite ready for the two mile hike around our sub division (maybe 14 houses) so in and out of a wagon she was lifted. I loved the days of making princesses, power rangers, cow boys, clowns....to this day my kids make their own costumes. No store bought acetate here!!

User thanked arcy_gw
  • Olychick
    5 years ago

My intention with the hedgehog was to cut all those loops so they'd look more like spines. It took me days to sew the yarn onto the fabric in loops. But when my grandson saw it he decided he didn't want the loops cut, so it's not quite as hedgehoggy as I planned, but he was happy and that's all that matters.

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

A seam ripper can be your best friend...……….or your worst enemy!!!

I'm a sewer, but my kids all ways wanted "store bought" costumes! I have many costumes for myself and I did many for community theatre plays! Made a Beetle Juice costume for one of my adult sons, his wife was so happy

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Believe me, the seam ripper and I are on a first name basis . . . especially after the first year! LOL!

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tradition is that I lay the costumes out before I mail them . . . here they all are:

Little Red Riding Hood

Alice in Wonderland and The White Rabbit

(Both red riding hood and Alice were chosen by DD)

Oldest grand wanted to be a witch and her Mom decided that her one year old sister could be a black cat. Witch and the net at the top of the picture is the "cat" costume for the one year old (there is a tail and ears somewhere in the picture). The witch costume I made back in the 70s for DD. It is a new hat and broom. The stars are on the costume because that is where the holes were in the 35 year old costume!

Oldest wanted to be a witch again and so did the two year old. I had the pattern from the original costume and so made the 2 year old a witch costume. Those stars are not because of holes but rather because her sister had stars!

Which brings us up to this year and the Princess and the Mouse!

I do enjoy it but I was most pleased that DGD could wear her mother's costume. Hopefully youngest will as well in a year or two.

The other costume I made for DD was a clown costume which she wore for 4 years -- sadly, clowns are now bad . . .it was a cute costume and I still have it! Perhaps when HER children have children, clowns will be in again and they can wear their grandmother's old Halloween costume that their great grandmother made all those years ago! LOL!

• just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

You are so talented Martha Scott!

User thanked just_terrilynn
  • katlan
    5 years ago

I love all the costumes! I can sew on a button and hem a pair of pants. That's it.

One year for Halloween my daughter wanted to be a black cat. I think she was maybe 8. I bought the headband with the cat ears, the tail the attach and painted whiskers on her face.

For her costume, I bought black fur material. Folded it over doubled. Had her lie down on it and traced around her. Then cut it out and glue gunned the seams together around her body. She looked great hahaha.

User thanked katlan
  • Olychick
    5 years ago

Martha, those are really great! Katlan, that sounds like my kind of costume making. My grandson might want to be a cat for something at school later in the school year, so I might steal your method!

• abbisgram
    5 years ago

Great job on all these, ladies! Martha, my cousin posted a pic on Facebook of her niece (who's now grown) wearing a homemade clown costume and a pic of her granddaughter wearing the same costume this year.