SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cneidecker28

Not happy with this tile job - big gap between tile and wall

Chris
5 years ago

This is my third try posting - forgive me if I've duplicated, the first two didn't seem to post.

Contractor is working on remodeling my small bathroom. Tore out old shower and is installing new. Yesterday, he wanted to show me that there is a gap between the tile and the wall, because the wall was not plumb. It was closer to plumb at the bottom, so they simply added an increasingly thicker coat of thinset as they went up the wall, to allow the tile to be plumb, even though the actual wall isn't. In the photos, you can see the gap between the tile and the wall -- it's around 1/2" (or maybe a bit more!) in most spots). To me, this looks terrible, but the contractor assures me that they'll "skim the drywall so it looks a lot better". Note: The gray wall on the right side of the photo does not turn a corner. It's the same wall that the tile is on.

I can't help but wonder if the out-of-plumb wall could have been better addressed after demo, when the walls were open. I know we have some contractors and tile people out there, so please set me straight if this approach is just fine, and I won't even notice after it's all finished. Thanks!

Comments (14)