SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomebuyers11

Is my bathroom remodel a DYI?

newhomebuyers11
10 years ago
We just bought a new house and would like to change this (small) master bath to something more updated. Currently, it is a single sink with a tub/shower combo. We would like to make it a double sink and a tile shower only. Can anyone give suggestions on the costs and skills involved with this? All input is appreciated :) Thanks!

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Mai Townsend
    10 years ago
    My first suggestion to any project is Due Diligence!!!

Cost will depend on finishes and how handy you are with remodel work. Tile work should not be a problem. If you don't know how to install tile, please check Youtube or your local hardware store, sometimes they offer classes for these type of projects. Regardless of the intent to you it yourself, there may be some work that you will contract, for example glass installation for the shower enclosure, maybe plumbing.

Having done three bathrooms, one a DYI and the other two thought a contractor, I must say that you will see the difference on the craftsmanship. My first suggestion is start pricing the tile, see what designs you like. Go to your tile shop and ask them to help you with the layout of the tile. The truth is that tile itself can run as low as $1.99 sf ...accent tile, othe other hand is the expensive part, so see the options and close-out sales! Some nice accent tile can be $15-$30/sf. Tile is not complicated but it needs detail to make it look nice! (Where you want the center of the tile, accent strips if any, how you going to end the tile on the enclosure: to the ceiling, or lower?)

Price the new fixtures. They make such a difference! Wayfair.com has a great selection. Shop, shop, shop! Online you can get better deals and items that are truly beautiful and unique and about the same price or better than your local hardware store. Faucets can range from about $100 to $500.

For the double sink idea: I originally wanted a double sink in my master bath as well. Please be aware that a double sink vanity will decrease your under the cabinet storage. If you are okay with that, see what is available online. I am not sure where your home is located, but here in the Bay Area there are cabinet stores that bring cabinets from China (all wood) no particle board or MDF and super affordable $450-650 depending on the style and with a granite/quartz countertop. So shopping is the best way to start getting a budget in place for materials needed and hardware.

Paint can also add a new dimension to your lovely space and it is an inexpensive way to update the existing.

Hope that helps and hoping to see pictures once you have completed it. You may be looking to spend between demolition (refuse) $150-$300, tile $500-$1200 if you are also tiling the floors, $450-$650 for the vanity, $600-$900 in faucets (shower and sinks), paint and supplies $150, glass enclosure $1000-$1300, new mirror $150.
    newhomebuyers11 thanked Mai Townsend
  • Related Discussions

Advice please on inexpensive DYI bathroom makeover

Q

Comments (8)
    Please post photos, that would be the best way. Did you see the one posting where the poster spent $75 to refresh/redo her bathroom that was done in avocado 70's green? After her touches her bathroom looked absolutely gorgeous, so yes it is very possible to do an inexpensive remodel/redo and improve it. Of course that poster had talent and vision, which I personally don't have, but maybe you can get some ideas from some of the talented and inspired folks to help you. I can tell you that taking down tile is not hard at all unless it is the type put in in the 1920 through 1950 that is concrete/then metal lathe and that stuff is like iron. Most tile is thinset over sheetrock on walls so that stuff pops off really easily.
    ...See More

bathroom remodelers in okc, ok metro (xpost to bathrooms)

Q

Comments (5)
    If want houses indoor or outdoor problem solution click this link and any houses information [url=http://www.modularhomes.org/Alaska]Alaska Modular Homes[/url] Here is a link that might be useful: Alaska Modular Homes
    ...See More

Bathroom dust and how feasible is a DIY bathroom remodel for me?

Q

Comments (20)
    I got the cabinets through Home Depot (20% off) they are not higher end but they have held up extremely well and we’ve been happy with them. I don’t remember the brand, but the color is cognac on maple. They’re standard kitchen cabinets. We got 2 regular drawer banks, 1 extra wide drawer bank, 2 sink cabinets and the closet you can see in the picture for about 1800 w/the discount. We bumped the shower wall 6 inches into the bedroom to make the shower bigger, pulled the cabinets out from the wall a couple of inches to provide more counter top. And curved the edge the counter for interest. Just for fun, this is what we had to start with. The tub was rusted and there were two doors, 1 from the hall & 1 from the master bedroom, we closed up the hall door. I think we got our moneys worth. LOL As for the labor, I found my Contractor through a plumber I had hired to put in a kitchen faucet. I asked if he had someone good he could refer and he referred Matt to me. Matt had his own company but just him and his guys. All of his work was by word of mouth, he didn’t advertise or push for business, he didn’t need to. I think I got fair pricing from him because he didn’t have the overhead a lot of the larger companies might have. He wasn’t the least expensive and he wasn’t the most expensive. Finding someone who was willing to work on our schedule and not having to have it done ASAP is what really helped me to be able to keep our costs at a minium for both labor and materials.
    ...See More

Bathroom DYI Realized!

Q

Comments (5)
    JFG, my husband made the hole for the sink and pipes. We lost only the top middle drawer in the process. I wish I could be more specific for you. we did do the shiplap together😅
    ...See More
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If that unit you have is a fiberglass one, and you want to turn it into a shower only with tile, you have to:

1. Demo it out
    2. Have a shower pan built with drain- add moisture wrap.
    3. Put up cement board around the sides.
    4. Tile- think out the layout and any accent pieces. Also do you want any shelf, or recessed areas for your toiletries. What tile for the floor of the shower.
    5. Add fixtures
    6. Grout and seal- what color grout. What type of grout- sanded or epoxy?
    7. Install shower door. I recommend frameless doors.

Lastly, don't forget about ventilation and lighting.

I have a bathroom like yours and redid mine with tile shower only. I am so glad I did. Unless you are skilled, I would not attempt this as a DYI. Final cost will depend on choice of tile and installer rates. I would budget about $5000 for the shower, which includes all materials,faucets, shower doors, and labor. As far as the vanity, there are so many creative ones out on the market, I would just pull out this one and replace with a whole new one with 2 sinks.
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    You're getting some good advice. What fits your needs? Resale is a consideration, but what makes you happy? Space wise, any shwr. smaller than 3'x5' is tight for an Owner's Ste. Optimally, you should allow at least 3' width for the toilet space, and a min. of 5' for 2-24" vanity cabts w/ a 12" dwr bank in the middle. This means that the bath would have to be 11' clear in length by 5' width to make this happen. If less space, I suggest a nice 3 pc. bath with high end finish. Realistically, even as a DIY job, I would budget to allow $ for assistance. Tile setting in the shower will make or break this job & any tile, cheap or otherwise, looks even cheaper if there is yaw in the pattern, or unevenness in the alignment. Use a heat mat in the circulation area, you'll thank me. Happy Houzzing!
  • PRO
    Bathbiz
    10 years ago
    First suggestion. Get at least one quote from a reputable contractor. This will give you a good idea of cost, and more importantly they will highlight what the costly parts are. The biggest mistake people make is getting caught up on the cost of the individual fininshed products, without knowing what the pitfalls may be. This is where a contractor comes in handy. Know what you are getting into even if you decide to do it on your own.

Changing out the sink, vanity and toilet is pretty easy, and there are a lot of good products out there at reasonable prices. Shop around and you can probably do this yourself for under $2000.

I agree with the above comment that the shower would cost $5000, as long as you go with inexpensive tile and glass door. But, unless you are really handy and have the tools, I would not do a built in shower myself

Way to many things can go wrong, And it almost always looks like you did it yourself.

My opinion, get a tile guy to do the shower stall. Insist he uses a shower pan as suggested above. You can do the demo and the rest of the bathroom yourself and save money that way.

Oh and by the way, likely you will need to cut the tub and shower into 3 pieces to remove.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Yes, on this $5000 budget. I did use *big box* store white ceramic subway tile with white grout. The beauty lies in how much of a perfectionist your installer is! I got lucky! Can you imagine dropping a fortune on Italian tiles,. and it installed wrong.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Are you handy? If so go to Lowes or Home Depot. They can guide you. Travertine in shower. You have a plastic insert in shower area. It can come out, but if you don't know what you are doing, not good. If a double sink vanity you need plumbing, can get expensive. I would do a light cream and gray granite, white under mount sink. Brush nickel faucets. New mirror. Lowes and TJ Max has some nice ones. Lights modern brush nickel. Again Lowes. Paint. A soft gray. Do you want to keep tub or just do shower with glass doors? Bathroom can get expensive because of plumbing. You will get yr money back when you sell though.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Or you could. Just paint a revere pewter by Ben Moore. Change vanity to granite. Paint base black. Add brush nickel long pulls. Change towel rack to another wall. Add black towels. Add shower doors, keep a shower curtain for decor but change to black with silver and gray design. Can't see lights. Should be brushed nickel. Try smaller mirror should not be bigger than sink top not to high. It would be a lot cheaper and give it a new modern look. Cost about $700 or less, to do.
  • crazydayshayes
    10 years ago
    I'd do one sink, but make it really special. Maybe have shelves or shelve/cabinet combo built up? I have a small master too and we are getting ready to do that, as well as get raised vanities that utilize the space near the floor by adding another drawer below the cabinets. Lots of good suggestions from everyone.
  • bygeorgi
    10 years ago
    Looks like it's a partial DIY project... changing out the tub for a shower stall might involve more than you can chew.. installing a a pan is much easier than building your own base to tile on, involves much less time, tools , skill , and cost. But there are also things that may arise from the demo, such as needing to replace cement board, unsquare walls etc... For the vanity-I recommend to see if you have enough room for two sinks just lay out two pieces of paper 19" wide on the counter now ,space them to see if it works.. also under mount sinks give you more counter top space. And of course pick a vanity made to house double sinks and hire a pro to do the plumbing.
    If you retile to the level you have now, you will need about 50 sq ft. add 10 percent for overage, with a shower pan , no tub you will about another 9 feet. I recommend tiling as a diy job, but plan well, Sunset books have good info on how to tile correctly, there is way more to know than what is on a you tube video....Molding can add a really finished pro look to the bathroom and you can use PVC molding, its easy to work with , inexpensive and best of all doesn't rot. If you are going to have a glass wall also go pro on that.
    It is less expensive and not too difficult to install your own vanity sinks and counter top if you purchase as a unit, make sure that if you hire a plumber you have the vanity and sinks on site so that it maybe plumbed to fit.
  • PRO
    Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
    10 years ago
    whom ever you decide to do the work.. be sure to tile to the ceiling .. the shower head coming out of the wall is a water leak nightmare waiting to happen.
    I agree with the get some quotes from contractors.. but also look at what they are providing too. if they are giving you 2 dollar a square foot tile then your not going to have many options other than the big box stores.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    Showers can be a nightmare if you are not a DIYer- we have done so many shower repairs because of bad installation. It takes patience and studying & homework on your part to do it correctly. So if you are handy you can tackle this. Plan on a day for demo and roughing in for the new shower and an entire day if you have never tiled. And then a second day for grout. And then it has to dry and be sealed You will be without a bath for a minimum of 4 days. Wishing you good luck with your decision and if you decide to tackle it happy tiling. There is a satisfaction in doing it yourself.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    The bathroom and the kitchen are the least DYI friendly spots in the house. They have water, electricity, tiling (which can mold over time if not properly installed), ... Unless you know what you're doing, definitely get experienced people to do the work. If you want to manage the costs, act as the contractor, and bring in an electrician, a tile person, a plumber, etc....

Good luck.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Pay reputable contractor. How do hire and manage someone when you do not know the scope of the work?
  • luducklu
    10 years ago
    MS COLOURS, INC. Your work is AMAZING,
  • luducklu
    10 years ago
    Wow...... Check out MS COLOURS, INC. I had not clicked on each photo to see various examples of your truly gifted works !
    Unbelievable! Million dollar works of art, shared to HOUZZERS
    for the viewing. Thank You!
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Thank you luducklu. We strive to give our clients the best finishes available
  • PRO
    Catherine Belan
    10 years ago
    Newhomebuyer.......the biggest thing for the new shower: waterproofing, waterproofing, and waterproofing!!! As a pro that is my main focus. The tile does not keep water from penetrating the wall and getting to the walls beyond. It is actually the substrate and waterproofing done before you even install the tile. That needs to be your main research focus. The tile pattern etc is easy. Some high end solutions to trying to fit two sinks in a base only large enough for one: do double faucets on the wall and one large trough sink. Things to think about: how much linen storage do you need? Daily use items - how do you want those stored? Assuming you have a swing door, would a pocket door work? Are permits required? Do you have time to be at home to meet inspectors? Does your local require licensed contractors? While DIY is often done on the side with no city inspections, they can be a good source to make sure all the work is up to code and safe.
  • Susan Flowers
    10 years ago
    I did mine myself but if I was redoing I'd find an experienced carpenter who doesn't mind working with DIY's...it has taken me many yrs to find these ppl in my small town....I used a fiberglass shower pan, but was nervous about leaks (but no probs) and had some difficulty with matching cement board/drywall transition....AND biggest error didn't know that plumbing IS NOT interchangeable in shower...trashed old shower fixtures not realizing plumbing would have to be redone for new fixtures...tiling was fun and easy, toilet, sink, a cinch....
  • PRO
    studio | FORMA
    10 years ago
    When working with a small space simple good quality materials is always best. As some have pointed out it looks like you may not have enough space for double sinks. If you do have five(5) feet of space perhaps you could work in two sinks such as the ones below.
    The good thing is that your tub and shower enclosure seems to be all one unit and easy to remove. A glass wall between the toilet and shower that has a double swing (in/out) door would also be useful to open out as you walk in the shower and open in as you leave the shower so as to avoid wet floors as much as possible.
  • kathleen MK
    10 years ago
    We re did all the tile in our old bath, taking it to the studs to replace water damaged insulation thank to shoddy tract house builders tiling on Sheetrock. However we would not DIY the plumbing and shower pan. Vanity replacement is a tough but doable DIY. You could just paint and replace or refinish the counter top. If it is functional try the cosmetic fix of linens and accessories before jumping into major remodeling. You might find a nice shower curtain and the right paint is all you need.
  • Nickole Matthews
    2 years ago

Before transforming your bathroom into a double sink and a tile shower, you must understand space management. The items you will add up to your bathroom must be arranged so that each can be used comfortably with the maximum utilization of the space.

Before ramping up a bathroom remodel task, please consider the resale value. The bathroom is the thing that most of the buyers consider on higher priority. Moreover, improper arrangement and inappropriate space planning impact the resale value of your home. So, it is imperative not to rush down for bathroom remodeling, especially when DIY. One must ensure to plan a bathroom space thoughtfully.

When it comes to cost, it's entirely dependent on the material you choose.

The double sink idea significantly decreases your under cabinet storage for sure. I strongly recommend hiring a reputable contractor and getting your job done effectively without worrying about more.

A few months back, I remodeled my bathroom by myself, which went wrong miserably. Luckily, thanks to my contractor, Bathroom Remodeling in Cooper City, who helped me find the best and most appropriate solution for my bathroom remodel needs. As part of my personal experience, I recommend you hire a professional contractor.

So it would be a wise choice if you hire any reputable contractor within your nearest areas.